kwrite opens a *.po-file only as UTF-8 - KDE

This is a discussion on kwrite opens a *.po-file only as UTF-8 - KDE ; Hi! I've a strange problem: When I open a german gettext-file "de.po", which is encoded in ISO-8859-15, kwrite uses UTF-8 to open it. I can't even change the encoding within kwrite, so the text stays buggy. My locales are all ...

  1. kwrite opens a *.po-file only as UTF-8

    Hi!

    I've a strange problem:

    When I open a german gettext-file "de.po", which is encoded in
    ISO-8859-15, kwrite uses UTF-8 to open it. I can't even change the
    encoding within kwrite, so the text stays buggy.

    My locales are all "de_DE@euro" and not "de_DE.UTF8". If I open the
    file with another text-editor (e.g. joe) everything is fine. What did
    I wrong, how can I fix it? I'm using kde 3.5.2.

    By the way, if I open the de.po with kbabel I can choose between UTF-8
    and ISO-8859-15. But only between those both encodings, nothing more.
    I don't understand this either...

    Thanks in advance,

    Thomas

  2. Re: kwrite opens a *.po-file only as UTF-8

    Thomas Schuetz wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I've a strange problem:
    >
    > When I open a german gettext-file "de.po", which is encoded in
    > ISO-8859-15, kwrite uses UTF-8 to open it. I can't even change the
    > encoding within kwrite, so the text stays buggy.
    >
    > My locales are all "de_DE@euro" and not "de_DE.UTF8". If I open the
    > file with another text-editor (e.g. joe) everything is fine. What did
    > I wrong, how can I fix it? I'm using kde 3.5.2.
    >
    > By the way, if I open the de.po with kbabel I can choose between UTF-8
    > and ISO-8859-15. But only between those both encodings, nothing more.
    > I don't understand this either...
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Thomas

    Hi,
    In the KWrite's "Open" dialog,
    there is a small combo box (right-top corner)
    where you can select the source encoding

    You can also change encoding of the already open
    file via the Menubar -> Tools -> Encoding menu

    --
    Pozdrowienia,
    Konrad

+ Reply to Thread