Adjust global configuration for KDE? - KDE

This is a discussion on Adjust global configuration for KDE? - KDE ; Greetings. I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and KDE on a system intended for multi-user use. Many of the users are novice computer users who will be confused by some of the default settings, such as the virtual desktop applet in ...

  1. Adjust global configuration for KDE?

    Greetings.

    I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and KDE on a system intended for multi-user
    use. Many of the users are novice computer users who will be confused by
    some of the default settings, such as the virtual desktop applet in the
    taskbar, and the myriad programs in the K Menu. I would like to make a
    default KDE configuration for all new user accounts which will load only a
    few necessary taskbar applets, and feature icons for some commonly used
    programs on the desktop. Can someone tell me how to do this? I don't
    want to have to manually configure the KDE settings for each new user
    account as it is created.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  2. Re: Adjust global configuration for KDE?

    Tristan Miller wrote:
    > Greetings.
    >
    > I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and KDE on a system intended for multi-user
    > use. Many of the users are novice computer users who will be confused by
    > some of the default settings, such as the virtual desktop applet in the
    > taskbar, and the myriad programs in the K Menu. I would like to make a
    > default KDE configuration for all new user accounts which will load only a
    > few necessary taskbar applets, and feature icons for some commonly used
    > programs on the desktop. Can someone tell me how to do this? I don't
    > want to have to manually configure the KDE settings for each new user
    > account as it is created.

    I don't have any good idea how to make, but you could do following to make
    future users to get the simplified settings.

    I create a new user, setup the the KDE environment for the users as you would
    like it to be for the new users. Check your ~/.kde so there aren't any
    reference to the user like full paths /home/user
    When this is finished, copy the .kde directory to /etc/skel, next time a user
    is created the settings will be copied to the users home directory.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Adjust global configuration for KDE?

    __/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Monday 03 April 2006 17:52 \__

    > Tristan Miller wrote:
    >> Greetings.
    >>
    >> I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and KDE on a system intended for multi-user
    >> use. Many of the users are novice computer users who will be confused by
    >> some of the default settings, such as the virtual desktop applet in the
    >> taskbar, and the myriad programs in the K Menu. I would like to make a
    >> default KDE configuration for all new user accounts which will load only a
    >> few necessary taskbar applets, and feature icons for some commonly used
    >> programs on the desktop. Can someone tell me how to do this? I don't
    >> want to have to manually configure the KDE settings for each new user
    >> account as it is created.

    > I don't have any good idea how to make, but you could do following to make
    > future users to get the simplified settings.
    >
    > I create a new user, setup the the KDE environment for the users as you
    > would like it to be for the new users. Check your ~/.kde so there aren't
    > any reference to the user like full paths /home/user
    > When this is finished, copy the .kde directory to /etc/skel, next time a
    > user is created the settings will be copied to the users home directory.

    You can copy subsets of ~/.kde as well. That's what I initially had in
    mind and it is also a way to restore or replicate settings from one
    computer to another (like carseat personalised modes). Avoid sending
    application-specific data from one user to another, but ensure you have
    one 'model' account, which is not touched and can always be replicated
    onto new accounts.

    The path to avoid copying is probably: ~/.kde/share/apps. The one of
    significance is probably ~/.kde/share/config , which contains rc's like
    kwinrc, but not actual data files. This may contain full paths
    (non-relative) when you have elements like history and "last opened".

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | make install -not war
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E