Cottonpickin' KOrganizer Alarm! - KDE

This is a discussion on Cottonpickin' KOrganizer Alarm! - KDE ; I had this problem before, and got it resolved - but now (after upgrade to SuSE 10.0) it's back again: My KOrganizer fails to alarm! I have enabled 'Auto Save' (nonetheless - whenever I shut down I'm advised that my ...

  1. Cottonpickin' KOrganizer Alarm!

    I had this problem before, and got it resolved - but now (after upgrade to
    SuSE 10.0) it's back again: My KOrganizer fails to alarm!

    I have enabled 'Auto Save' (nonetheless - whenever I shut down I'm advised
    that my calendar contains unsaved changes!?)

    The 'KOrganizer Alarm Daemon'- icon has x'es in the 'Alarms Enabled'- and
    'Start Alarm Client at Login'-fields - still no alarms appear.

    (I have also studied the documentation, but it tells very little about
    alarms)

    (Using SuSE 10.0/KDE 3.4.2 Level "b"/KOrganizer 3.4.2)

    Any hints??
    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  2. Re: Cottonpickin' KOrganizer Alarm!

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > I had this problem before, and got it resolved - but now (after upgrade to
    > SuSE 10.0) it's back again: My KOrganizer fails to alarm!
    >
    > I have enabled 'Auto Save' (nonetheless - whenever I shut down I'm advised
    > that my calendar contains unsaved changes!?)
    >
    > The 'KOrganizer Alarm Daemon'- icon has x'es in the 'Alarms Enabled'- and
    > 'Start Alarm Client at Login'-fields - still no alarms appear.
    >
    > (I have also studied the documentation, but it tells very little about
    > alarms)
    >
    > (Using SuSE 10.0/KDE 3.4.2 Level "b"/KOrganizer 3.4.2)
    >
    > Any hints??

    Is kalarmd and cron running? Check out: man kalarmd and there might be
    something there of use.

    I don't use Suse but Kanotix and it works fine for me.

    Al

  3. Re: Cottonpickin' KOrganizer Alarm!

    ANC wrote:
    > Is kalarmd and cron running? Check out: man kalarmd and there might be
    > something there of use.

    There is apparently no man page for kalarmd - at least not in my
    installation/distribution; anyway, I tried to delete the existing calendar
    file (including my appointments!) and create a new one - and now I'm
    getting proper visual and aural alarms again (wonder for how long, though?)

    It's all a bit confusing: I don't understand the distinction between
    'korgac' and 'kalarmd' - and no matter what I do, there seems alwawys to be
    (at least?) two 'storage files' in the KOrganizer folder (right now I have
    'kalender.ics' + 'std.ics'!)

    Two files seem to cause a (potential?) risk that I store my events in one
    file and the alerts in another!

    --
    Regards,
    Hans