Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-( - KDE

This is a discussion on Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-( - KDE ; Hello, I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear. ...

  1. Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Hello,

    I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what happened
    last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in the system
    tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.

    When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
    tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account they
    do not.

    It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between the
    accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success so far,
    unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
    documentations.

    SuSE Linux 10.0
    Kernel 2.6.13-15
    KDE 3.5.1

    Please help :'-(
    I've given up.

    Martin

  2. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Martin Lipocky wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what
    > happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in
    > the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.
    >
    > When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
    > tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account they
    > do not.
    >
    > It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between the
    > accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success so
    > far, unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
    > documentations.

    Have you tried:
    Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips

    [...]

    --
    Les

  3. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Leslie Danks wrote:

    > Martin Lipocky wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what
    >> happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in
    >> the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.
    >>
    >> When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
    >> tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account
    >> they do not.
    >>
    >> It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between
    >> the accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success
    >> so far, unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
    >> documentations.

    > Have you tried:
    > Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
    >
    > [...]

    Yes, I have. No effect. :'-(

  4. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Martin Lipocky wrote:
    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Lipocky wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what
    >>> happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in
    >>> the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.
    >>>
    >>> When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
    >>> tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account
    >>> they do not.
    >>>
    >>> It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between
    >>> the accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success
    >>> so far, unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
    >>> documentations.

    >> Have you tried:
    >> Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    > Yes, I have. No effect. :'-(

    Lucky you, I have tried to disable all tooltips, both globals and application,
    but no, they keep on popping up all the time when pointing at something.

    //Aho

  5. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Leslie Danks wrote:

    > Martin Lipocky wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what
    >> happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in
    >> the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.
    >>
    >> When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
    >> tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account
    >> they do not.
    >>
    >> It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between
    >> the accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success
    >> so far, unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
    >> documentations.

    > Have you tried:
    > Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
    >
    > [...]

    Success :-D
    Just now I tried it again. Continuous checking and unchecking really didn't
    have any effect. Also restarting kicker panel on dcop server didn't have
    any effect. So, I tried this: Unchecked 'Show Tooltips', logged out,
    restarted xdm service, logged in, checked 'Show Tooltips', logged out,
    restarted xdm service, logged in, and now the tooltips appear.

    Although I cracked the nut, why the checkbutton option previously didn't
    work at the same session, it remains over my head.

  6. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Martin Lipocky wrote:

    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Lipocky wrote:

    [...]

    >>> in the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to
    >>> appear.

    [...]

    >> Have you tried:
    >> Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    > Yes, I have. No effect. :'-(

    What about:
    >> Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Defaults

    to see if they arise from the dead?

    --
    Les

  7. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    __/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 20:43 \__

    > Martin Lipocky wrote:

    >>> Have you tried:
    >>> Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>

    >> Yes, I have. No effect. :'-(

    > Lucky you, I have tried to disable all tooltips, both globals and
    > application, but no, they keep on popping up all the time when pointing at
    > something.

    Give yours to Martin then. *smile* Exchange some yellow balloons. Look at the
    bright side of it all: nothing is worth than Clippy for contextual help.

    Here in KDE 3.1, I sometimes have the tooltips show up fine, but on then
    wrong monitor at the appropriate coordinates. Sometimes, objects do not even
    (dis)appear when they should. My KDE 3.4 station is much 'cleaner', so which
    version of KDE are you on?

    Best wishes,

    Roy

  8. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    __/ [ Martin Lipocky ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 20:47 \__

    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Lipocky wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what
    >>> happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in
    >>> the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.
    >>>
    >>> When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
    >>> tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account
    >>> they do not.
    >>>
    >>> It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between
    >>> the accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success
    >>> so far, unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
    >>> documentations.

    >> Have you tried:
    >> Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    > Success :-D
    > Just now I tried it again. Continuous checking and unchecking really didn't
    > have any effect. Also restarting kicker panel on dcop server didn't have
    > any effect. So, I tried this: Unchecked 'Show Tooltips', logged out,
    > restarted xdm service, logged in, checked 'Show Tooltips', logged out,
    > restarted xdm service, logged in, and now the tooltips appear.
    >
    > Although I cracked the nut, why the checkbutton option previously didn't
    > work at the same session, it remains over my head.

    Similar oddity I am reminded of: when enabling translucency and shadowing
    effects (among others), one has to restart KDE although it is not explicitly
    stated, at least not in KDE 3.4. More oddly, if you log in with special
    effects (X composite-dependent 'stuff') and then disable it, you cannot
    revert to using it again. You must restart KDE.

    This has caused a lot of confusion and cost me time some months ago, so I
    suppose the conclusion of it all is that KDE restarts solve many
    inconsistencies and unpredictable behaviours, not necessarily as one
    would/should expect.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Proprietary cripples communication
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  9. Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Give yours to Martin then. *smile* Exchange some yellow balloons. Look at the
    > bright side of it all: nothing is worth than Clippy for contextual help.

    Yeah, we should

    > Here in KDE 3.1, I sometimes have the tooltips show up fine, but on then
    > wrong monitor at the appropriate coordinates. Sometimes, objects do not even
    > (dis)appear when they should. My KDE 3.4 station is much 'cleaner', so which
    > version of KDE are you on?

    I'm up on 3.5.0, but this problem been hanging around me for a long time.
    If I open control-center, enable tooltips and then disable it again, then the
    tooltips is gone as long as I keep the control-center open (just talking about
    the panel tooltips here).

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread