Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines - KDE

This is a discussion on Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines - KDE ; Is there any simple - preferably standard - way of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines, eg by using rsync? If so, what files does one need to keep in sync? -- Timothy Murphy e-mail ( tel: ...

  1. Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Is there any simple - preferably standard - way
    > of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines,
    > eg by using rsync?
    > If so, what files does one need to keep in sync?

    IMHO the easiest and simplest way is to have a file server that over nfs does
    share /home to all the machines, this way you have access to everything,
    files, settings, data...

    //Aho

  3. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    Greetings.

    In article <48p5teFl16mpU1@individual.net>, J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >> Is there any simple - preferably standard - way
    >> of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines,
    >> eg by using rsync?
    >> If so, what files does one need to keep in sync?

    > IMHO the easiest and simplest way is to have a file server that over nfs
    > does share /home to all the machines, this way you have access to
    > everything, files, settings, data...

    That presupposes that both machines have network connectivity. This won't
    work for taking your laptop on the road, for example, which is one of the
    most common sync scenarios.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  4. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    __/ [ Tristan Miller ] on Monday 27 March 2006 05:15 \__

    > Greetings.
    >
    > In article <48p5teFl16mpU1@individual.net>, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >>> Is there any simple - preferably standard - way
    >>> of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines,
    >>> eg by using rsync?
    >>> If so, what files does one need to keep in sync?

    >> IMHO the easiest and simplest way is to have a file server that over nfs
    >> does share /home to all the machines, this way you have access to
    >> everything, files, settings, data...

    > That presupposes that both machines have network connectivity. This won't
    > work for taking your laptop on the road, for example, which is one of the
    > most common sync scenarios.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tristan

    I solve this particular issue by always SSH'ing to one machine where
    everything is maintained. This requires fast connection at both ends, which
    is the major pitfall. Mozilla applications have some synchronisation
    utilities, which are worth exploring. Thee other possibility, as already
    pointed out, is to share the filesystem and fetch the settings and data from
    there. I know about people who do this with Thunderbird, but this can
    probably be achieved with KMail and KNode.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  5. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> IMHO the easiest and simplest way is to have a file server that over nfs
    >>> does share /home to all the machines, this way you have access to
    >>> everything, files, settings, data...

    >> That presupposes that both machines have network connectivity. This
    >> won't work for taking your laptop on the road, for example, which is one
    >> of the most common sync scenarios.

    > I solve this particular issue by always SSH'ing to one machine where
    > everything is maintained. This requires fast connection at both ends,
    > which is the major pitfall.

    Thanks for your response.
    That is actually what I do with kmail - run it on my desktop,
    and access it on my laptop with WiFi.
    This is perfectly acceptable from the point of view of speed.

    Basically, I was wondering if there was a better way of doing it.

    With knode, for example, I imagine one could download
    ..kde/share/config/knoderc .

    > Mozilla applications have some synchronisation
    > utilities, which are worth exploring. Thee other possibility, as already
    > pointed out, is to share the filesystem and fetch the settings and data
    > from there. I know about people who do this with Thunderbird, but this can
    > probably be achieved with KMail and KNode.

    I'm reluctant to share /home under nfs.
    What happens if one is not connected to the machine with /home on it?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  6. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    Timothy Murphy said the following, on 03/26/06 16:37:
    > Is there any simple - preferably standard - way
    > of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines,
    > eg by using rsync?
    > If so, what files does one need to keep in sync?

    For KMail, a technique that seems to work is to sync the contents of:

    -- the Mail directory (that is, '~/Mail')
    -- the directory '~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/'
    -- the KMail config file: '~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc'

    (In the case of directories, you probably need to include all
    sub-directories as well.)

    As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, a remote login to the "main"
    mail machine may be the way to do this that has the least potential for
    confusion.

    I don't have KNode on this machine, so I don't have a way to check that
    at the moment.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    richg74@gmail.com

  7. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    Rich Gibbs wrote:

    > As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, a remote login to the "main"
    > mail machine may be the way to do this that has the least potential for
    > confusion.

    That is what I normally do.
    One curiosity is the list of informational messages I get:

    [tim@alfred ~]$ kmail
    kbuildsycoca running...
    [tim@alfred ~]$ WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 1) suspended.
    WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 2) suspended.
    WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 3) suspended.
    WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 4) suspended.

    That's really why I wondered if there was
    a better way of running kmail remotely.
    But I suspect that an ssh window into the remote computer
    may actually be the best solution ...

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  8. Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > Is there any simple - preferably standard - way
    > of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines,
    > eg by using rsync?
    > If so, what files does one need to keep in sync?

    For KMail:
    ~/mail and possibly ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

    For KNode:
    ~/.kde/share/apps/knode

    This advice assumes the configuration of both machines is the same (ie, same
    mail and news servers etc).

    Usual disclaimers apply.

    Cheers,

    James
    --
    Their idea of an offer you can't refuse is an offer... and you'd better
    not refuse.

+ Reply to Thread