Multi-sigs in Knode - KDE

This is a discussion on Multi-sigs in Knode - KDE ; Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1) -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk...

  1. Multi-sigs in Knode

    Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1)

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  2. Re: Multi-sigs in Knode

    __/ [ Gordon ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 17:28 \__

    > Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1)

    In my version of KNode this is not possible. However, you can specify a
    binary from which a signature should be output (maybe this applies only to
    KMail). You could, for example, run FORTUNE to get some random quotes. I use
    a different approach to achieve this, which involves changing .signature
    peripherally, ever 5 minutes.

    *sigh* Oops. Hold on. As I re-read, I begin to think that what you seek is
    the ability to have different signatures for different accounts or have some
    signature choice in the menus. In KDE 3.1, I do not believe this is
    possible. I have explored the options. I can't comment on later versions,
    but I have this option in Thunderbird, to which I migrated from KMail last
    year.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Re: Multi-sigs in Knode

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [ Gordon ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 17:28 \__
    >
    >> Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1)

    > In my version of KNode this is not possible. However, you can specify a
    > binary from which a signature should be output (maybe this applies only to
    > KMail). You could, for example, run FORTUNE to get some random quotes. I
    > use a different approach to achieve this, which involves changing
    > .signature peripherally, ever 5 minutes.
    >
    > *sigh* Oops. Hold on. As I re-read, I begin to think that what you seek is
    > the ability to have different signatures for different accounts or have
    > some signature choice in the menus. In KDE 3.1, I do not believe this is
    > possible. I have explored the options. I can't comment on later versions,
    > but I have this option in Thunderbird, to which I migrated from KMail last
    > year.
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Roy

    Thanks - I'm on KDE 3.5 and that doesn't seem to have multi-sigs either. I
    also use TBird with the excellent extension that enables switching sigs on
    the fly, but at the moment I'm running into a problem with the default mail
    app setting on KDE 3.5 not sticking.

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  4. Re: Multi-sigs in Knode

    gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid wrote :

    > Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1)

    If you have the fortune command installed it can be done this way:

    Create a file named e.g. ~/Signatures holding all your signatures
    separated by a % like this:

    Signature nr. 1
    Thomas O.
    %
    Signature nr. 2
    Thomas O.
    %
    Signature nr. 3
    Thomas O.

    Then run the strfile command on this file 'strfile ~/Signatures'.

    Now in KNode you can choose this "Signature file"
    fortune /home/User/Signatures
    Remember to set "The file is a program"
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: Multi-sigs in Knode

    __/ [ Gordon ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 17:59 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> __/ [ Gordon ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 17:28 \__
    >>
    >>> Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1)

    >> In my version of KNode this is not possible. However, you can specify a
    >> binary from which a signature should be output (maybe this applies only to
    >> KMail). You could, for example, run FORTUNE to get some random quotes. I
    >> use a different approach to achieve this, which involves changing
    >> .signature peripherally, ever 5 minutes.
    >>
    >> *sigh* Oops. Hold on. As I re-read, I begin to think that what you seek is
    >> the ability to have different signatures for different accounts or have
    >> some signature choice in the menus. In KDE 3.1, I do not believe this is
    >> possible. I have explored the options. I can't comment on later versions,
    >> but I have this option in Thunderbird, to which I migrated from KMail last
    >> year.
    >>
    >> Hope it helps,
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>

    > Thanks - I'm on KDE 3.5 and that doesn't seem to have multi-sigs either. I
    > also use TBird with the excellent extension that enables switching sigs on
    > the fly, but at the moment I'm running into a problem with the default mail
    > app setting on KDE 3.5 not sticking.

    I was going to mention that very particular extension. I continue to discover
    the power of many Thunderbird plug-ins (8 enabled thus far), but they cannot
    compensate for the program being a poor newsreader (and RSS reader, I
    believe).

    I urge you, however, to look at a few enhancement which /might/ make it a
    decent newsreader. Microsoft Outlook suffers from similar issues and has
    third-party $oftware to bridge the gap. "Browse the Thunderbirds extensions
    database" is the best I can offer. Build yourself a newsclient that suits
    you, or stick with KNode, despite its apparent deficiencies.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  6. Re: Multi-sigs in Knode

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:59:13 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> __/ [ Gordon ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 17:28 \__
    >>
    >>> Is this possible? (Knode 0.10.1)

    >> In my version of KNode this is not possible. However, you can specify a
    >> binary from which a signature should be output (maybe this applies only
    >> to KMail). You could, for example, run FORTUNE to get some random
    >> quotes. I use a different approach to achieve this, which involves
    >> changing .signature peripherally, ever 5 minutes.
    >>
    >> *sigh* Oops. Hold on. As I re-read, I begin to think that what you seek
    >> is the ability to have different signatures for different accounts or
    >> have some signature choice in the menus. In KDE 3.1, I do not believe
    >> this is possible. I have explored the options. I can't comment on later
    >> versions, but I have this option in Thunderbird, to which I migrated
    >> from KMail last year.
    >>
    >> Hope it helps,
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>

    > Thanks - I'm on KDE 3.5 and that doesn't seem to have multi-sigs either. I
    > also use TBird with the excellent extension that enables switching sigs on
    > the fly, but at the moment I'm running into a problem with the default
    > mail app setting on KDE 3.5 not sticking.

    While making it change regularly is not something I have discovered how
    to do. There are a couple of options, for instance you can use fortune to
    make random sigs or you can make a different sig for each group that you
    are on.

+ Reply to Thread