Re: how does kde communicate with kwin? - KDE

This is a discussion on Re: how does kde communicate with kwin? - KDE ; NUPUL wrote: > KDE is bundled with its own window manager (kwin) and a desktop > manager. How and what communication takes place between the K > desktop manager and Kwin? Is the communication by setting > certain files etc ...

  1. Re: how does kde communicate with kwin?

    NUPUL wrote:

    > KDE is bundled with its own window manager (kwin) and a desktop
    > manager. How and what communication takes place between the K
    > desktop manager and Kwin? Is the communication by setting
    > certain files etc or are the communications done with help of
    > Xlib in the program code itself?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Nupul.

    Communication is done with KDE's own Desktop COmmunication
    Protocol (DCOP), a client-to-client communication protocol
    invoking the X11 ICE library. DCOP has bindings for C, C++ and
    several scripting languages. Run kdcop to find out more about the
    availlable interfaces.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  2. Re: how does kde communicate with kwin?

    Communication is also done via the kdelibs/KWin library and its C++ API.
    The KWin library uses the low-level X functions AFAIK

    --
    Pozdrowienia,
    Konrad

  3. Re: how does kde communicate with kwin?

    NUPUL wrote:

    > Hi Joerg,
    >
    > Well kdcop doesn't run on my machine, and nor was i able to find
    > any similar application on my system (SuSe 10.0)

    That's strange, kdcop is part of kdebase, so it should be om your
    system. You can always run dcop from an xterm, the syntax is
    dcop , e.g.
    dcop kwin KWinInterface nextDesktop.

    > Also KDE can run without kwin too.ie using another window
    > manager (WM) like wmaker, metacity etc....Now in this case how
    > does communication with the WM take place?

    See Konrad's post. But only window manger complying with the
    wm-spec from freedesktop.org are fully supported.

    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fwm_2dspec

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t