Where's Dvorak keyboard layout? - KDE

This is a discussion on Where's Dvorak keyboard layout? - KDE ; Help - KDE V 3.4.3 - just installed with PCLinuxOS KDE keyboard layouts There used to be a Dvorak layout. Now it's just a US variant. The problem? My wife and I frequently use the same PC/Session. But we don't ...

  1. Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    Help -

    KDE V 3.4.3 - just installed with PCLinuxOS

    KDE keyboard layouts

    There used to be a Dvorak layout. Now it's just a US variant.
    The problem? My wife and I frequently use the same PC/Session.
    But we don't use the same keyboard layout. It used to be possible
    to load both layouts, then quickly and easily switch between them
    from the taskbar. Now, it seems we have to go into the keyboard
    configuration and set the variant.

    Anyone know if/where/how I can get a separate Dvorak layout,
    so that we can use the taskbar layout switcher again?

    Thanks,

    Conrad

  2. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    Conrad wrote:

    > Help -
    >
    > KDE V 3.4.3 - just installed with PCLinuxOS
    >
    > KDE keyboard layouts
    >
    > There used to be a Dvorak layout. Now it's just a US variant.
    > The problem? My wife and I frequently use the same PC/Session.
    > But we don't use the same keyboard layout. It used to be possible
    > to load both layouts, then quickly and easily switch between them
    > from the taskbar. Now, it seems we have to go into the keyboard
    > configuration and set the variant.
    >
    > Anyone know if/where/how I can get a separate Dvorak layout,
    > so that we can use the taskbar layout switcher again?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Conrad

    Mandriva asks you for Dvorak as an option during setup. Perhaps your distro
    has it available as well? Google turned this up: Dvorak and X Windows:

    www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/unix.html

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    "Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."
    -- Immanuel Kant

  3. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    > Mandriva asks you for Dvorak as an option during setup. Perhaps your distro
    > has it available as well? Google turned this up: Dvorak and X Windows:
    >
    > www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/unix.html
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.

    Thanks Doug.

    OK, my laptop is pure Dvorak from boot - Win2k and Linux.
    Even my lilo is set with keytable = /boot/dvorak.ktl
    But I have to share the desktop with my wife.

    Yes, there are a lot of ways to switch the keyboard mapping.
    I carry a CD with a few crucial Dvorak files required for
    various platforms, from Win98 on up. I've even mailed those
    files to myself on a webmail account, so that if I forget
    my CD "toolkit" I can still got those files - as long as I
    have Internet access. But...

    KDE used to have a seperate Dvorak keyboard layout - just like
    they have for Belgium, or Brazil, or even Uzbekistan. Go to the
    KDE keyboard layout Select Dvorak and add it to the standard
    US layout Which, if you enable the taskbar icon, gives you an
    easy and instant way to switch between the two. Giving my wife
    an instruction sheet for running xmodmap is not going to be
    popular in my house.

    It was easy, intuitive, and cannot possibly have cost KDE
    that much in resources - yet the seperate Dvorak keymap seems
    to have been dropped by KDE.

    I guess, my assumption is that the KDE keyboard layouts are just
    a bunch of files somewhere, and if I can find out where those
    files are, and get a copy of the KDE Dvorak keyboard layout file,
    I can restore the functionality that KDE apparently chose to break.

    It is profoundly frustrating when something that works, and which
    takes absolutely zero resources to maintain and has no dependencies
    to track gets dropped or broken in newer revisions.

    Thanks,

    Conrad

  4. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    Greetings.

    In article , Conrad wrote:
    > KDE V 3.4.3 - just installed with PCLinuxOS
    >
    > KDE keyboard layouts
    >
    > There used to be a Dvorak layout.

    No there didn't. The keyboard layouts come with the X server tools, not
    with the window manager. On most systems they should have been installed
    with the xkb settings in /etc/X11/xkb. This is where KDE will look for
    them.

    > Anyone know if/where/how I can get a separate Dvorak layout,
    > so that we can use the taskbar layout switcher again?

    I don't know anything about PCLinuxOS, but perhaps you need to install a
    separate package for non-US keyboard layouts.

    Alternatively, I've created an international Dvorak layout which you can
    get at .

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  5. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:44:25 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

    > Greetings.
    >
    > In article , Conrad wrote:
    >> KDE V 3.4.3 - just installed with PCLinuxOS
    >>
    >> KDE keyboard layouts
    >>
    >> There used to be a Dvorak layout.

    > No there didn't. The keyboard layouts come with the X server tools, not
    > with the window manager. On most systems they should have been installed
    > with the xkb settings in /etc/X11/xkb. This is where KDE will look for
    > them.

    I'm pretty sure I have the X11 Dvorak layout - or it wouldn't be
    available at ALL from the KDE keyboard layout tool - the problem
    is that it is no longer displayed as it's own layout, and instead
    is available only as a US "variant".

    My best guess was KDE because the GUI that lets you add keyboard
    layouts also has the neat little country flags for the keyboard
    layouts - the flags that appear in the KDE tasbar keyboard switcher
    that USED to work. Yes, they even had a Dvorak "flag" icon.

    I have (at least) the following dvorak files on my system:
    #locate dvorak
    /usr/share/vim/macros/dvorak
    /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.dvorak
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/no-dvorak.uni.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ANSI-dvorak.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak-l.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak-r.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/no-dvorak.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/pc-dvorak-latin1.uni.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/pc-dvorak-latin1.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/se-dvorak.uni.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/se-dvorak.kmap.gz
    /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/dvorak.kbd
    /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/sgi/dvorak
    /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/dvorak

    >> Anyone know if/where/how I can get a separate Dvorak layout,
    >> so that we can use the taskbar layout switcher again?

    > I don't know anything about PCLinuxOS, but perhaps you need to install a
    > separate package for non-US keyboard layouts.

    I have literally a truckload of non-US keyboard layouts:
    Albania, Arabic, Arabic (yes, two different ones), Armenia, Azerbaijan,
    Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Bengali, Bhutan, Boznia and Herzegovina,
    Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe
    Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland,
    India, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latin
    American, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonian, Malta, Maori, Mongolia,
    Myanmar, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, PC_98xx Series (yes, even this
    has it's own little KDE "flag"), Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia,
    Serbian, Slovokia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland,
    Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkish, Ukraine, United Kingdom, US,
    Uzbekistan, and Vietnam.

    I'm pretty sure I've got a reasonably complete set there. I mean,
    for gosh sakes, how different can Brazil and Portugal be - Or Ireland,
    United Kingdom, U.S. and Canada, for that matter - yet these trivially
    different layouts all merit their own slot in the "Available layouts",
    while the significantly different Dvorak layout is only available
    as a "US" variant. Which sort of screws up the neat two-click key
    layout switch on the KDE taskbar.

    > Alternatively, I've created an international Dvorak layout which you can
    > get at .

    Thanks -
    I'll sure give this a try - my ENTIRE objective here is not just
    to get a Dvorak keyboard running - As I noted earlier, on a very
    bare X system, I've got layout files on CD and on my webmail that
    I can use with xmodmap. I'm just trying to get the KDE desktop
    to work the way it used to on a machine that I've got to share
    with my wife. KDE and X ARE "aware" of Dvorak - it's just that
    the KDE keyboard layout tool has "folded" dvorak in as a "US"
    variant - which makes the process of switching back and forth
    more of a hassle - when it used to be a simple taskbar click.

    Regards,

    Conrad

  6. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    Greetings.

    In article , Conrad wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure I have the X11 Dvorak layout - or it wouldn't be
    > available at ALL from the KDE keyboard layout tool - the problem
    > is that it is no longer displayed as it's own layout, and instead
    > is available only as a US "variant".
    >
    > My best guess was KDE because the GUI that lets you add keyboard
    > layouts also has the neat little country flags for the keyboard
    > layouts - the flags that appear in the KDE tasbar keyboard switcher
    > that USED to work. Yes, they even had a Dvorak "flag" icon.

    That's odd; my version of kxkb (KDE 3.5.1, SuSE RPMs) still has a little
    "flag" icon for the Dvorak layout. Perhaps PCLinuxOS has modified the
    default KDE settings? I would try contacting them (or a newsgroup
    supporting PCLinuxOS) to see if this is the case. Reporting this problem
    to might also be useful.

    >>> Anyone know if/where/how I can get a separate Dvorak layout,
    >>> so that we can use the taskbar layout switcher again?

    >> I don't know anything about PCLinuxOS, but perhaps you need to install a
    >> separate package for non-US keyboard layouts.
    >>

    > I have literally a truckload of non-US keyboard layouts:

    Well, as a temporary workaround, you could copy the Dvorak layout files
    onto, say, the Azerbaijani layout file (assuming you don't need to use
    that layout). If it's just you and your wife using the computer, it
    should be easy enough to remember that "Azerbaijani = Dvorak".

    > I'm pretty sure I've got a reasonably complete set there. I mean,
    > for gosh sakes, how different can Brazil and Portugal be - Or Ireland,
    > United Kingdom, U.S. and Canada, for that matter

    Quite a great deal, considering that the Canadian layout is bilingual
    (English/French), containing keys for French characters such as é, ê, è,
    *, ô, û, ï, ë, ç, «, », etc.; whereas the U.S. layout is English-only. I
    haven't used the Irish keyboard, but I presume it's also bilingual for
    English and Irish so that Irish characters like á, é, *, ó, and ú can be
    typed.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  7. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:53:01 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

    > Greetings.

    >> My best guess was KDE because the GUI that lets you add keyboard
    >> layouts also has the neat little country flags for the keyboard
    >> layouts - the flags that appear in the KDE tasbar keyboard switcher
    >> that USED to work. Yes, they even had a Dvorak "flag" icon.

    > That's odd; my version of kxkb (KDE 3.5.1, SuSE RPMs) still has a little
    > "flag" icon for the Dvorak layout. Perhaps PCLinuxOS has modified the
    > default KDE settings? I would try contacting them (or a newsgroup
    > supporting PCLinuxOS) to see if this is the case. Reporting this problem
    > to might also be useful.

    OK, that's looking more and more like the way to go. TexStar
    at PcLinuxOS is unquestionably an evil genius who works
    27 hours a day by drinking a secret cactus juice formula,
    but even he and his team of mad dwarf Linux scientists can't
    nail them all.

    >> I have literally a truckload of non-US keyboard layouts:

    > Well, as a temporary workaround, you could copy the Dvorak layout files
    > onto, say, the Azerbaijani layout file (assuming you don't need to use
    > that layout). If it's just you and your wife using the computer, it
    > should be easy enough to remember that "Azerbaijani = Dvorak".

    Hey, I'm Azerbaijani you inensitive clod... But - that is
    a seriously workable think-outside-the-box solution -
    and probably as good as it gets at this point. Ingenious.
    If I could figure out where the little "flag" icons are
    stored, I could take your idea one step further - you
    see that one coming, right ;-)

    >> I'm pretty sure I've got a reasonably complete set there. I mean,
    >> for gosh sakes, how different can Brazil and Portugal be - Or Ireland,
    >> United Kingdom, U.S. and Canada, for that matter

    > Quite a great deal, considering that the Canadian layout is bilingual
    > (English/French), containing keys for French characters such as , , ,
    > , , , , , , , , etc.; whereas the U.S. layout is English-only. I
    > haven't used the Irish keyboard, but I presume it's also bilingual for
    > English and Irish so that Irish characters like , , , , and can be
    > typed.

    Hey, since Quebec wants to secede so bad, as Marie Antoinette once
    said, "let them eat cake - and find their own damn French keyboards".
    That would free up the Canadian keyboards to be reasonably "anglo" -
    all they would need is a one-letter translation - 'U' to 'O' so they
    can type "hoose" in place of "house", "aboot" for "about", etc.

    Your point on the Irish keyboard is well taken - and should have
    been obvious to me - especially since I have Welsh (the language
    with too damn many consonants) and Irish ancestry. Sigh.

    Conrad

  8. Re: Where's Dvorak keyboard layout?

    Greetings.

    In article , Conrad wrote:
    > Hey, since Quebec wants to secede so bad, as Marie Antoinette once
    > said, "let them eat cake - and find their own damn French keyboards".
    > That would free up the Canadian keyboards to be reasonably "anglo"

    Again, not really. Quebec isn't Canada's only francophone province --
    you're forgetting about New Brunswick, which AFAIK has made no effort to
    secede -- and there are sizeable minority francophone communities in the
    West. For example, 1 in 50 residents of Saskatchewan are "Fransaskois".

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _