Removing items from taskbar - KDE

This is a discussion on Removing items from taskbar - KDE ; Holas! There are a couple applications that I run *all* the time (xload and ksensors), so they start when KDE does. Now, I know that they are running. Is there anyway to remove them from the Kicker Taskbar space that ...

  1. Removing items from taskbar

    Holas!

    There are a couple applications that I run *all* the time (xload and
    ksensors), so they start when KDE does.
    Now, I know that they are running. Is there anyway to remove them from the
    Kicker Taskbar space that shows what programs are running? I'd rather use
    that space for the other programs that I start.

    Thanks.

    Peter
    --
    Playing an unamplified electric guitar is like strumming on a picnic table.
    -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"

  2. Re: Removing items from taskbar

    Peter Kelly wrote :
    > .
    > Now, I know that they are running. Is there anyway to remove them from the
    > Kicker Taskbar space that shows what programs are running?

    You can use the kstart command for that: 'kstart --skiptaskbar xload'

    But run 'kstart --help-all' to see all the options.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Removing items from taskbar

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:03:56 +0100, Thomas Overgaard
    wrote:

    >Peter Kelly wrote :
    >> .
    >> Now, I know that they are running. Is there anyway to remove them from the
    >> Kicker Taskbar space that shows what programs are running?

    >You can use the kstart command for that: 'kstart --skiptaskbar xload'
    >
    >But run 'kstart --help-all' to see all the options.

    Thanks. Exactly what I needed.

    Peter

  4. Re: Removing items from taskbar

    Peter Kelly wrote:

    > Holas!
    >
    > There are a couple applications that I run *all* the time (xload and
    > ksensors), so they start when KDE does.
    > Now, I know that they are running. Is there anyway to remove them from
    > the
    > Kicker Taskbar space that shows what programs are running? I'd rather use
    > that space for the other programs that I start.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter

    You can modify the behaviour of applications pretty precisely in KDE.
    1. Right click the app's title bar, select "Advanced -> Special Window
    Settings"
    2. Select the "Preferences" tab.
    3. Check the "Skip Taskbar" item and set it's drop-down to "Force".
    4. Repeat #3 for other options (Such as "Skip Pager") etc.
    5. Click "OK"

    Voila! Personally, I've set Kopete and Skype to always launch on my second
    head (right hand monitor), in the lower left corner side-by-side, and be
    sticky. Konversation is set to always start sticky etc. You can create
    preferences for any application to always launch where and how you want

    I've tried similar tricks in other window managers but have never found
    anything that works as easily and consistently as these "Special Window
    Settings" in KDE.

    HTH,

    James
    --
    Half Moon tonight. (At least it's better than no Moon at all.)

+ Reply to Thread