Auto-hide Panels in KDE - KDE

This is a discussion on Auto-hide Panels in KDE - KDE ; Greetings, folks. I was wondering if there is a way of seeing a small margin of the panels in KDE, which in GNOME are somewhat visible even when they are automatically hidden. It is one of the few GNOME features ...

  1. Auto-hide Panels in KDE

    Greetings, folks. I was wondering if there is a way of seeing a small margin
    of the panels in KDE, which in GNOME are somewhat visible even when they are
    automatically hidden. It is one of the few GNOME features that I wish I
    could have in KDE. Am I missing something? To exemplify, see the panel at
    the bottom of the screen (not my desktop):

    http://sasqs.net/pics/Screenshot.png

  2. Re: Auto-hide Panels in KDE

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Greetings, folks. I was wondering if there is a way of seeing a small margin
    > of the panels in KDE, which in GNOME are somewhat visible even when they are
    > automatically hidden. It is one of the few GNOME features that I wish I
    > could have in KDE.

    As far as configuration option in control-center there is no such thing, but
    in difference from Gnome2, you can decide the point where to point to make the
    panel to appear which don't limit you to have to go to the bottom of the
    screen but you can decide to have the left side as activator.

    If you want a border to be at the bottom of the screen, you could as well just
    modify your background image to have the border, or install SuperKaramba and
    use one of the optional panels (not sure if any has this feature or not).

    //Aho

  3. Re: Auto-hide Panels in KDE

    __/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 20:38 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Greetings, folks. I was wondering if there is a way of seeing a small
    >> margin of the panels in KDE, which in GNOME are somewhat visible even when
    >> they are automatically hidden. It is one of the few GNOME features that I
    >> wish I could have in KDE.

    > As far as configuration option in control-center there is no such thing,
    > but in difference from Gnome2, you can decide the point where to point to
    > make the panel to appear which don't limit you to have to go to the bottom
    > of the screen but you can decide to have the left side as activator.
    >
    > If you want a border to be at the bottom of the screen, you could as well
    > just modify your background image to have the border, or install
    > SuperKaramba and use one of the optional panels (not sure if any has this
    > feature or not).
    >

    > //Aho

    Thanks for that. All are good ideas, which I believe I might adopt. Drawing
    on the wallpaper is something I did when I was 16 (Windows 95), but it's
    very time-consuming.

    The main issue crops up when others use this workstation. They fail to grasp
    what goes on as I only have KPager and a Desktop without any items. A lot is
    done using xbindkeys. It works for me, but I believe that this feature from
    GNOME could (/should) be added to KDE and leave the panel in sight. There is
    another nice (to some extent) feature in GNOME. Windows that are maximised
    tend to stick to their full-sized mode, but only if you drag them far
    enough, they will 'snap' and become movable.

  4. Re: Auto-hide Panels in KDE

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The main issue crops up when others use this workstation. They fail to grasp
    > what goes on as I only have KPager and a Desktop without any items.

    One of the advantages with a multiuser OS is that each user can have their own
    settings and even option to use another desktop environment that the other users.
    I don't see the point why others should use your settings or login.

    If there are features you think is missing, you can do two things,

    1. Make your own patch that does what you want and then contribute it to the
    kde project and if the developers thinks its a good feature, it will be
    included in future versions.

    2. Make a feature request at the kde.org's bugzilla and hope it will be
    approved and implemented by some of the developers.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread