konsole/bash resize in other tabs? - KDE

This is a discussion on konsole/bash resize in other tabs? - KDE ; Is it a bug that when I resize a konsole window, apparently some applications (bash especially) do not realize that they now live in a different world? in the bash tab during the window resize, everything is fine. it is ...

  1. konsole/bash resize in other tabs?

    Is it a bug that when I resize a konsole window, apparently some
    applications (bash especially) do not realize that they now live in a
    different world? in the bash tab during the window resize, everything
    is fine. it is in the other bash tabs that I get weird line-end
    results. sincerely, /iaw

  2. Re: konsole/bash resize in other tabs?

    ivowel@gmail.com wrote:

    > Is it a bug that when I resize a konsole window, apparently some
    > applications (bash especially) do not realize that they now live in a
    > different world? in the bash tab during the window resize, everything
    > is fine. it is in the other bash tabs that I get weird line-end
    > results. sincerely, /iaw

    funnily enough I was just reading about this this morning
    http://wlug.org.nz/BashNotes
    Bash isn't using the full width of the terminal after I resize it

    When you resize a terminal, it sends a SIGWINCH signal to the process
    running inside it. If the current foreground process is not bash(1), but
    another process (eg less(1), tail(1), or whatever), then only that process
    receives the signal. The shell is then left with outdated size information.

    The best way to fix this is to set the checkwinsize shell option:

    shopt -s checkwinsize

    Bash will now check the size every time it displays a prompt. Other shells
    (such as zsh(1)) seem to do this automatically, and don't have a
    corresponding option.

    A one-off workaround is to send SIGWINCH to the shell yourself:

    kill -WINCH $$

    ($$ is a variable containing the shell's own PID.)

    __EOF__
    Therefore only one bash instance (in your case) is receiving the SIGWINCH
    signal
    HTH

  3. Re: konsole/bash resize in other tabs?

    thank you. very helpful. regards, /iaw

+ Reply to Thread