For reasons only known to $deity, I decided to put an Xface onto my posts on
usenet yesterday, as per the thread title I use
$ knode --version
Qt: 3.3.4
KDE: 3.4.3
KNode: 0.9.3
on
$ uname -mrs
Linux 2.6.12-10-386 i686
Kubuntu 5.10
knode was installed via adept. I use knode because it has a plugin for
kontact.
When I loaded an xface into custom headers it would post the correct xface,
until knode/kontact was closed and restarted, then it would post a cut down
header
Looking at ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/xheader I realised that newline
characters had been added (by knode) and only the first 'line' of my xface
was being sent. A simple fix is to remove the offending newline characters
with a text editor (in ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/xheader)

HTH