How does KDE find icons? - KDE

This is a discussion on How does KDE find icons? - KDE ; KDE doesn't show the icons of KDE-applications. Not in the taskbar or the K-menu. This only applies to KDE-applications like Kontact or Amarok or Kaffeine, etc. Gnome-Programs (Totem, Evolution, etc.) all have their icons still visible. It seems to me ...

  1. How does KDE find icons?

    KDE doesn't show the icons of KDE-applications. Not in the taskbar or
    the K-menu. This only applies to KDE-applications like Kontact or
    Amarok or Kaffeine, etc. Gnome-Programs (Totem, Evolution, etc.) all
    have their icons still visible. It seems to me like KDE can not locate
    the icons anymore. Any idea if there is a configuration file or
    something where I can enter the icon location(s)?
    I'm using KDE 3.5.1 on a Suse 10.1 Beta.

    --
    Gruß
    Andreas

  2. Re: How does KDE find icons?

    __/ [ Andreas ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:43 \__

    > KDE doesn't show the icons of KDE-applications. Not in the taskbar or
    > the K-menu. This only applies to KDE-applications like Kontact or
    > Amarok or Kaffeine, etc. Gnome-Programs (Totem, Evolution, etc.) all
    > have their icons still visible. It seems to me like KDE can not locate
    > the icons anymore. Any idea if there is a configuration file or
    > something where I can enter the icon location(s)?
    > I'm using KDE 3.5.1 on a Suse 10.1 Beta.

    ^^^^

    There's one bit to the answer.

    I suggest that you try to change icons sets. KDE has a mechanism for
    assigning icons 'themes' to all KDE applications. See for example:

    http://www.kde-look.org/content/prev...2B+white+icons

    You can change this under Control Center -> Appearance -> Icons (off top of
    my head) or even add some new icon sets, which may or may not rectify this.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

  3. Re: How does KDE find icons?

    __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:54 \__

    > __/ [ Andreas ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:43 \__
    >
    >> KDE doesn't show the icons of KDE-applications. Not in the taskbar or
    >> the K-menu. This only applies to KDE-applications like Kontact or
    >> Amarok or Kaffeine, etc. Gnome-Programs (Totem, Evolution, etc.) all
    >> have their icons still visible. It seems to me like KDE can not locate
    >> the icons anymore. Any idea if there is a configuration file or
    >> something where I can enter the icon location(s)?
    >> I'm using KDE 3.5.1 on a Suse 10.1 Beta.

    > ^^^^
    >
    > There's one bit to the answer.
    >
    > I suggest that you try to change icons sets. KDE has a mechanism for
    > assigning icons 'themes' to all KDE applications. See for example:

    http://www.kde-look.org/content/prev...2B+white+icons

    > You can change this under Control Center -> Appearance -> Icons (off top of
    > my head) or even add some new icon sets, which may or may not rectify this.
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Roy

    Addendum: have a look at .kde/share/icons/

    That is where KDE should locate the icons and where new sets can be
    installed.

  4. Re: How does KDE find icons?

    Roy Schestowitz escribe:
    >> I'm using KDE 3.5.1 on a Suse 10.1 Beta.

    > ^^^^
    >
    > There's one bit to the answer.
    >
    > I suggest that you try to change icons sets. KDE has a mechanism for
    > assigning icons 'themes' to all KDE applications. See for example:

    http://www.kde-look.org/content/prev...2B+white+icons

    > You can change this under Control Center -> Appearance -> Icons (off
    > top of my head) or even add some new icon sets, which may or may not
    > rectify this.
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Roy

    Hiya Roy,
    thanks for the tip. I checked my KDE-Folder as you suggested, and there
    they were: all the icons I am missing are in a
    folder /opt/kde3/share/icons/hicolor. Changing the icon set in the
    control center doesn not help
    Any more ideas?

    --
    Gruß
    Andreas

  5. Re: How does KDE find icons?

    > KDE doesn't show the icons of KDE-applications. Not in the taskbar or
    > the K-menu. This only applies to KDE-applications like Kontact or
    > Amarok or Kaffeine, etc. Gnome-Programs (Totem, Evolution, etc.) all
    > have their icons still visible. It seems to me like KDE can not locate
    > the icons anymore. Any idea if there is a configuration file or
    > something where I can enter the icon location(s)?
    > I'm using KDE 3.5.1 on a Suse 10.1 Beta.

    There are some environment variables that influence KDE. Have a look at
    http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/, especially the section on environment
    variables, but possibly some of the other sections too. Then check to see
    if e.g. KDEDIRS is set in your environment.

    Good luck,
    A.

    --
    To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

  6. Re: How does KDE find icons?

    Andrew Schulman escribe:
    > There are some environment variables that influence KDE. Have a look
    > at http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/, especially the section on
    > environment
    > variables, but possibly some of the other sections too. Then check to
    > see if e.g. KDEDIRS is set in your environment.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > A.

    now, that is a good source of information! the icon problem solved
    itself after a system update I ran a couple of hours ago, although now
    it makes it even harder to try and track the problem down in case of a
    future recurrence, but I think that indeed the XDG variables were not
    correctly set. At least that would explain the partial loss of icons as
    it happened here.

    Thanks a lot!

    --
    Gruß