Slow keys nightmare - KDE

This is a discussion on Slow keys nightmare - KDE ; Has anyone else been caught by this slow keys idiocy? If you hold down the Shift key for 8 seconds, a Slow Keys mode is implemented, which means that there is no response when you press a key unless you ...

  1. Slow keys nightmare

    Has anyone else been caught by this slow keys idiocy?
    If you hold down the Shift key for 8 seconds,
    a Slow Keys mode is implemented,
    which means that there is no response when you press a key
    unless you keep it held down for about 1 second.
    In other words, it is impossible to type.

    What is unforgivable is that there is no obvious way
    of undoing this - in fact you have to hold down the Shift key again
    for 8 more seconds.
    But why is there nothing in the Control Centre to govern this?

    Sometimes I think Linux is run by lunatics.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: Slow keys nightmare

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Has anyone else been caught by this slow keys idiocy?
    > If you hold down the Shift key for 8 seconds,
    > a Slow Keys mode is implemented,
    > which means that there is no response when you press a key
    > unless you keep it held down for about 1 second.
    > In other words, it is impossible to type.
    >
    > What is unforgivable is that there is no obvious way
    > of undoing this - in fact you have to hold down the Shift key again
    > for 8 more seconds.
    > But why is there nothing in the Control Centre to govern this?

    Control-center: Regional & Accessibility/Accessibility -> Keyboard Filters
    Here you find the option "Use slow keys", uncheck it and you don't have this
    feature anymore.

    If you don't have this option, then your KDE installation isn't complete.

    > Sometimes I think Linux is run by lunatics.

    Take a look at Gnome2 and see the similarities with Microsofts thinking about
    users.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Slow keys nightmare

    __/ [ Timothy Murphy ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 03:43 \__

    > Has anyone else been caught by this slow keys idiocy?
    > If you hold down the Shift key for 8 seconds,
    > a Slow Keys mode is implemented,
    > which means that there is no response when you press a key
    > unless you keep it held down for about 1 second.
    > In other words, it is impossible to type.
    >
    > What is unforgivable is that there is no obvious way
    > of undoing this - in fact you have to hold down the Shift key again
    > for 8 more seconds.
    > But why is there nothing in the Control Centre to govern this?
    >
    > Sometimes I think Linux is run by lunatics.

    Have you file a bug report (or wishlist/request)? I agree with you. This
    behaviour should be governed somewhere under Accessibility. As to its
    existence, you can be sure it serves a true purpose. Why do you hold down
    the SHIFT key for so long anyway? I am sure you have a valid reason...

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Software patents destroy innovation
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E