Problem connecting camera as a normal user - KDE

This is a discussion on Problem connecting camera as a normal user - KDE ; Hi I am trying to autodetect a Canon Powershot G6 digital camera to my machine using digikam. As root, the camera is properly auto-detected and connected. As a normal user, that fails. I cannot even seem to specify which ports ...

  1. Problem connecting camera as a normal user

    Hi

    I am trying to autodetect a Canon Powershot G6 digital camera to my machine
    using digikam. As root, the camera is properly auto-detected and connected.
    As a normal user, that fails. I cannot even seem to specify which ports to
    look at (auto-detection as root reports usb: - probably a udev quirk,
    something I am not familiar with).

    Sounds like a permissions problem. What do I check / fix ?

    GC

  2. Re: Problem connecting camera as a normal user

    Chris wrote:

    > Geico Caveman wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am trying to autodetect a Canon Powershot G6 digital camera to my
    >> machine using digikam. As root, the camera is properly auto-detected and
    >> connected. As a normal user, that fails. I cannot even seem to specify
    >> which ports to look at (auto-detection as root reports usb: - probably a
    >> udev quirk, something I am not familiar with).
    >>
    >> Sounds like a permissions problem. What do I check / fix ?
    >>

    > This could be a group permissions problem. Depending on the system
    > you're using the sub-division of permissions to access particular parts
    > of the system can be very finely defined. Make sure that the user is a
    > member of the 'camera' and/or 'usb' group, if they exist on your system.
    >
    > /etc/group has a list of all the available groups and typing 'groups
    > username' at the command-line reveal what groups that user is member of.
    >
    > See also:
    > man group
    > man groups
    >
    > Or check /etc/fstab to see that the mount point for your camera is
    > mountable by 'users'.
    > HTH

    Thanks for the hint. For anyone else that might need a reference - the group
    that the user needs to be a member is called "plugdev". Membership to the
    group "camera" by itself (haven't checked for the plugdev only case) does
    not make a difference.

    I am running hald (the abstraction layer) and plugdev allows members to
    connect to devices that may be plugged in.

    digikam works perfectly now.

+ Reply to Thread