transparences in kde 3.5 - KDE

This is a discussion on transparences in kde 3.5 - KDE ; Hi, how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5??? i have mandriva 2006 tnx...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. transparences in kde 3.5

    Hi,
    how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    i have mandriva 2006

    tnx

  2. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:

    > how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    > i have mandriva 2006

    in xorg.conf add (only needed if you want translucency for windows):

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "true"
    EndSection

    in control-center:
    (For windows): Desktop/Window Behaviour/Translucency
    (For panel)..: Desktop/Panels/Appearance

    //Aho

  3. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    __/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 13:17 \__

    > Innuendo wrote:
    >
    >> how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    >> i have mandriva 2006

    > in xorg.conf add (only needed if you want translucency for windows):
    >
    > Section "Extensions"
    > Option "Composite" "true"
    > EndSection
    >

    > in control-center:
    > (For windows): Desktop/Window Behaviour/Translucency
    > (For panel)..: Desktop/Panels/Appearance
    >

    > //Aho

    In KDE 3.4, translucency in taskbars makes them rather slow to render and
    animate (if automatically-hidden). You have been warned. *smile*

    With kind regards,

    Roy

  4. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    > in control-center:
    > (For windows): Desktop/Window Behaviour/Translucency
    > (For panel)..: Desktop/Panels/Appearance

    i don't have this menus...in my taskbar setting i've set appareance "For
    Transparency"...but it doesn't work!

    Mandriva 2006
    kde 3.5

  5. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:
    >> in control-center:
    >> (For windows): Desktop/Window Behaviour/Translucency
    >> (For panel)..: Desktop/Panels/Appearance
    >>

    > i don't have this menus...in my taskbar setting i've set appareance "For
    > Transparency"...but it doesn't work!

    You should start Control Center, you get easier to navigate that way.
    If you want to use menu system, then you need to open the "Setting Menu" and
    go into the "Desktop" sub menu from where you select "Panels" in where you
    select the tab "Appearance" Where you find the setting "Enable transparency"

    You have gone into Desktop/Taskbar/Appearance, this affects the task "buttons"
    , and the "For Transparency" will ONLY take affect when you have enabled the
    transparency for panel first.

    //Aho

  6. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > __/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 13:17 \__
    >
    >> Innuendo wrote:
    >>
    >>> how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    >>> i have mandriva 2006

    >> in xorg.conf add (only needed if you want translucency for windows):
    >>
    >> Section "Extensions"
    >> Option "Composite" "true"
    >> EndSection
    >>

    >> in control-center:
    >> (For windows): Desktop/Window Behaviour/Translucency
    >> (For panel)..: Desktop/Panels/Appearance

    > In KDE 3.4, translucency in taskbars makes them rather slow to render and
    > animate (if automatically-hidden). You have been warned. *smile*

    All eyecandy has this effect and translucency will draw more power, if on a
    slow machine or one with little memory KDE (and most of all Gnome2) will be
    bad choices, it's more sense to use ctwm.

    //Aho

  7. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo a écrit:

    > Hi,

    Hi,

    > how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    > i have mandriva 2006

    Right click on taskbar->Configure taskbar->Appearance->Use transparency

    Good luck

  8. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Paul Pygeon wrote:

    > Innuendo a écrit:
    >
    >> Hi,

    > Hi,
    >
    >> how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    >> i have mandriva 2006
    >>

    > Right click on taskbar->Configure taskbar->Appearance->Use transparency

    in the appearance menu i don't have these options...i've only elegant,
    classic, for trasparency to choose! If i choose for trasparency nothing
    change.

  9. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:
    > Paul Pygeon wrote:
    >
    >> Innuendo a écrit:
    >>
    >>> Hi,

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >>> how can i set my taskbar transaparent in kde 3.5???
    >>> i have mandriva 2006
    >>>

    >> Right click on taskbar->Configure taskbar->Appearance->Use transparency

    > in the appearance menu i don't have these options...i've only elegant,
    > classic, for trasparency to choose! If i choose for trasparency nothing
    > change.

    1. point your mouse on the panel
    2. click the right mouse button
    3. left click with the mouse on the "Configure Panel..." option
    4. move the mouse pointer to the new window and place it over the "K" icon
    where it says "Appearance"
    5. left click with the mouse
    6. move the pointer to the small square in the "Panel Background" section
    where it says "Enable transparency"
    7. left click with the mouse
    8. move mouse pointer to the "OK" button at the bottom right side of the window
    9. left click with the mouse

    As you seems to have a bit trouble with instructions, I made a small
    screenshot of the window you get with you have selected "Configure Panel..."
    from the panel menu, you find it here:
    http://www.kotiaho.net/~trizt/tmpimg/panelconfig.png
    Notice the two arrows pointing on the IMPORTANT options.

    //Aho

  10. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    __/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Monday 13 March 2006 12:42 \__

    > Innuendo wrote:
    >> Paul Pygeon wrote:

    >>> Right click on taskbar->Configure taskbar->Appearance->Use transparency

    >> in the appearance menu i don't have these options...i've only elegant,
    >> classic, for trasparency to choose! If i choose for trasparency nothing
    >> change.

    > 1. point your mouse on the panel
    > 2. click the right mouse button
    > 3. left click with the mouse on the "Configure Panel..." option
    > 4. move the mouse pointer to the new window and place it over the "K" icon
    > where it says "Appearance"
    > 5. left click with the mouse
    > 6. move the pointer to the small square in the "Panel Background" section
    > where it says "Enable transparency"
    > 7. left click with the mouse
    > 8. move mouse pointer to the "OK" button at the bottom right side of the
    > window 9. left click with the mouse
    >
    > As you seems to have a bit trouble with instructions, I made a small
    > screenshot of the window you get with you have selected "Configure
    > Panel..." from the panel menu, you find it here:
    > http://www.kotiaho.net/~trizt/tmpimg/panelconfig.png
    > Notice the two arrows pointing on the IMPORTANT options.

    Gosh, are you patient? I was going to suggest the same steps initially, but
    you beat me to it, so all I could come with were pitfalls.

    By the way, the composite extension in Xorg is _not_ necessary in order for
    this to work. Any 'out of the box' KDE installation is be able to handle
    translucency of the main panel. I am not too sure about the external
    taskbars and other child panels though. Never tried either.

  11. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > By the way, the composite extension in Xorg is _not_ necessary in order for
    > this to work.

    This is true and thats been pointed out before, just wanted to give him the
    option to enable translucency for windows/menus, but now I think that could be
    all to much for him.

    > Any 'out of the box' KDE installation is be able to handle
    > translucency of the main panel.

    Ouch, but panels aren't translucent, they only transparent (if you use mplayer
    to play in the desktop background, you will notice that the image under the
    panel won't change, it will be the same all the time).

    > I am not too sure about the external
    > taskbars and other child panels though. Never tried either.

    The transparency affects all panels that is part of KDE, but won't affect all
    applets, like the taskbar, which has it's own option to enable transparency
    (the option that the OP has been messing with, but to make it to work he must
    first enable transparency for the panel).

    //Aho

  12. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    > 1. point your mouse on the panel
    > 2. click the right mouse button
    > 3. left click with the mouse on the "Configure Panel..." option
    > 4. move the mouse pointer to the new window and place it over the "K" icon
    > where it says "Appearance"
    > 5. left click with the mouse
    > 6. move the pointer to the small square in the "Panel Background" section
    > where it says "Enable transparency"
    > 7. left click with the mouse
    > 8. move mouse pointer to the "OK" button at the bottom right side of the
    > window 9. left click with the mouse
    >
    > As you seems to have a bit trouble with instructions, I made a small
    > screenshot of the window you get with you have selected "Configure
    > Panel..." from the panel menu, you find it here:
    > http://www.kotiaho.net/~trizt/tmpimg/panelconfig.png
    > Notice the two arrows pointing on the IMPORTANT options.

    i've seen the screenshot...i don't have the appearance tab!!! i don't know
    why...! i have arrangement, hiding and menues only...!

  13. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:

    >> As you seems to have a bit trouble with instructions, I made a small
    >> screenshot of the window you get with you have selected "Configure
    >> Panel..." from the panel menu, you find it here:
    >> http://www.kotiaho.net/~trizt/tmpimg/panelconfig.png
    >> Notice the two arrows pointing on the IMPORTANT options.

    > i've seen the screenshot...i don't have the appearance tab!!! i don't know
    > why...! i have arrangement, hiding and menues only...!

    Please open a terminal and type the following:
    kicker -v

    cut'n'paste it in your reply

    //Aho

  14. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Innuendo wrote:
    >
    >>> As you seems to have a bit trouble with instructions, I made a small
    >>> screenshot of the window you get with you have selected "Configure
    >>> Panel..." from the panel menu, you find it here:
    >>> http://www.kotiaho.net/~trizt/tmpimg/panelconfig.png
    >>> Notice the two arrows pointing on the IMPORTANT options.

    >> i've seen the screenshot...i don't have the appearance tab!!! i don't
    >> know why...! i have arrangement, hiding and menues only...!

    > Please open a terminal and type the following:
    > kicker -v
    >
    > cut'n'paste it in your reply
    >

    > //Aho

    # kicker -v
    Qt: 3.3.5
    KDE: 3.5.0
    KDE Panel: 3.5.0

    --Inn

  15. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:

    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>> i've seen the screenshot...i don't have the appearance tab!!! i don't
    >>> know why...! i have arrangement, hiding and menues only...!

    >> Please open a terminal and type the following:
    >> kicker -v
    >>
    >> cut'n'paste it in your reply
    >>

    >> //Aho

    > # kicker -v
    > Qt: 3.3.5
    > KDE: 3.5.0
    > KDE Panel: 3.5.0
    >
    > --Inn

    i've upgraded kde 3.4 to kde 3.5 last week...i don't know if this
    information can be usefull

    --Inn

  16. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >> Please open a terminal and type the following:
    >> kicker -v
    >>
    >> cut'n'paste it in your reply

    > # kicker -v
    > Qt: 3.3.5
    > KDE: 3.5.0
    > KDE Panel: 3.5.0

    This seems to fit best with that you happen to have Mandriva 2006.1-0.3 beta
    installed, would recommend you update to the current Madriva Cooker.
    Beta versions are known to not have everything 100% working.

    //Aho

  17. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Innuendo wrote:
    >> J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>> Please open a terminal and type the following:
    >>> kicker -v
    >>>
    >>> cut'n'paste it in your reply

    >> # kicker -v
    >> Qt: 3.3.5
    >> KDE: 3.5.0
    >> KDE Panel: 3.5.0

    > This seems to fit best with that you happen to have Mandriva 2006.1-0.3
    > beta installed, would recommend you update to the current Madriva Cooker.
    > Beta versions are known to not have everything 100% working.
    >

    > //Aho

    i've mandriva 2006 official upgraded to kde 3.5...it's strange!

  18. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:

    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>> # kicker -v
    >>> Qt: 3.3.5
    >>> KDE: 3.5.0
    >>> KDE Panel: 3.5.0

    >> This seems to fit best with that you happen to have Mandriva 2006.1-0.3
    >> beta installed, would recommend you update to the current Madriva Cooker.
    >> Beta versions are known to not have everything 100% working.
    >>

    >> //Aho

    > i've mandriva 2006 official upgraded to kde 3.5...it's strange!

    and more: i've installed a theme (from kde-look) that enable transparency
    but i don't manage to enable task bar transparency for my own theme...

  19. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    Innuendo wrote:

    >> i've mandriva 2006 official upgraded to kde 3.5...it's strange!

    > and more: i've installed a theme (from kde-look) that enable transparency
    > but i don't manage to enable task bar transparency for my own theme...

    Your update is broken, it does miss files if you don't have all configuration
    options.

    You can edit your ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc and add below the "[General]"
    the following line:
    Transparent=true

    Make a backup of the file before you edit, easier to restore everything if
    things goes wrong. When you have saved the changes, press ctrl-alt-backspace
    and login again and now your panel should be transparent.

    //Aho

  20. Re: transparences in kde 3.5

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Innuendo wrote:
    >
    >>> i've mandriva 2006 official upgraded to kde 3.5...it's strange!

    >> and more: i've installed a theme (from kde-look) that enable transparency
    >> but i don't manage to enable task bar transparency for my own theme...

    > Your update is broken, it does miss files if you don't have all
    > configuration options.
    >
    > You can edit your ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc and add below the
    > "[General]" the following line:
    > Transparent=true
    >
    > Make a backup of the file before you edit, easier to restore everything if
    > things goes wrong. When you have saved the changes, press
    > ctrl-alt-backspace and login again and now your panel should be
    > transparent.

    it works...for my upgrade i've follow the instructions on mandriva site...is
    there a way to repair my kde installation???

    tnx for your patience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast