Plonk cross posting in kmail - KDE

This is a discussion on Plonk cross posting in kmail - KDE ; Hi, I'm getting sick of the aggressive half-wits cross-posting to numerous ngs (esp. what's going on in alt.os.linux.suse atm). Is there any way of setting up a rule to filter out postings being cross-posted to (say) more than 3 ngs ...

  1. Plonk cross posting in kmail

    Hi,
    I'm getting sick of the aggressive half-wits cross-posting to numerous ngs
    (esp. what's going on in alt.os.linux.suse atm). Is there any way of
    setting up a rule to filter out postings being cross-posted to (say) more
    than 3 ngs in knode?

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  2. Re: Plonk cross posting in kmail

    Alan Prescott wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm getting sick of the aggressive half-wits cross-posting to numerous ngs
    > (esp. what's going on in alt.os.linux.suse atm). Is there any way of
    > setting up a rule to filter out postings being cross-posted to (say) more
    > than 3 ngs in knode?
    >
    > Alan

    The only thing I can think of is the following, and it doesn't work for me
    if I use "mark group as read" or something similar. I have to open one of
    the postings.

    In "Settings" - "Configure Knode" - "Reading News" - select "Mark
    cross-posted articles as read".

    Graham

  3. Re: Plonk cross posting in kmail

    Greetings.

    In article <4413103a$0$6977$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Alan
    Prescott wrote:
    > I'm getting sick of the aggressive half-wits cross-posting to numerous
    > ngs (esp. what's going on in alt.os.linux.suse atm). Is there any way of
    > setting up a rule to filter out postings being cross-posted to (say) more
    > than 3 ngs in knode?

    IIRC no, but there is a wishlist request for this on
    . You can vote for it, which may incite the
    developers to get to work on it. In my experience, though, KNode
    development proceeds very, very slowly compared to many other
    applications. If you can code and have the time to spare, maybe you could
    add this feature yourself.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  4. Re: Plonk cross posting in kmail

    __/ [ Tristan Miller ] on Friday 17 March 2006 10:57 \__

    > Greetings.
    >
    > In article <4413103a$0$6977$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Alan
    > Prescott wrote:
    >> I'm getting sick of the aggressive half-wits cross-posting to numerous
    >> ngs (esp. what's going on in alt.os.linux.suse atm). Is there any way of
    >> setting up a rule to filter out postings being cross-posted to (say) more
    >> than 3 ngs in knode?

    > IIRC no, but there is a wishlist request for this on
    > . You can vote for it, which may incite the
    > developers to get to work on it. In my experience, though, KNode
    > development proceeds very, very slowly compared to many other
    > applications. If you can code and have the time to spare, maybe you could
    > add this feature yourself.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tristan

    Meanwhile, to compensate for the inability to flag crossposted items, make
    sure you have headers in sight and inspect them carefully before replying,
    let alone *reading*. Tap 'i' to ignore threads that appear to go on forever
    (as in the case with crossposted topics). It doesn't help in case of a flood
    though.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  5. Re: Plonk cross posting in kmail

    Greetings.

    In article <6361886.NJI7nrsuA5@ID-187157.News.Individual.NET>, Tristan
    Miller wrote:

    > Greetings.
    >
    > In article <4413103a$0$6977$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Alan
    > Prescott wrote:
    >> I'm getting sick of the aggressive half-wits cross-posting to numerous
    >> ngs (esp. what's going on in alt.os.linux.suse atm). Is there any way of
    >> setting up a rule to filter out postings being cross-posted to (say)
    >> more than 3 ngs in knode?

    > IIRC no, but there is a wishlist request for this on
    > . You can vote for it, which may incite the
    > developers to get to work on it.

    Ah, here it is: I thought I'd
    post the link because the title of the bug report is rather vague, and
    doesn't suggest that it deals with your particular feature request. It
    would have been hard to find by a keyword search.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _