Finding new cell phone with Kandy - KDE

This is a discussion on Finding new cell phone with Kandy - KDE ; I have a usb cable for my cell phone. I open Kandy but cannot "find" the phone as it is plugged into the usb cable. Kandy settings show ttyS0 .. I have tried a lot of combinations of S0 ... ...

  1. Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    I have a usb cable for my cell phone. I open Kandy but cannot "find" the
    phone as it is plugged into the usb cable. Kandy settings show ttyS0 .. I
    have tried a lot of combinations of S0 ... S8 for my usb ports but noting
    works.

    Is there a way to probe for the phone to see if the usb port actually "sees"
    the phone and to find out which ttyS? port it is at?

  2. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > I have a usb cable for my cell phone.

    What cell phone is it? Each one behaves differently.

    > I open Kandy but cannot "find" the
    > phone as it is plugged into the usb cable. Kandy settings show ttyS0 .. I
    > have tried a lot of combinations of S0 ... S8 for my usb ports but noting
    > works.

    Only real serial ports show up as /dev/ttyS*.

    > Is there a way to probe for the phone to see if the usb port actually "sees"
    > the phone and to find out which ttyS? port it is at?

    You could try "lsusb" or "dmesg".

  3. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    Michael Mauch wrote:

    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >> I have a usb cable for my cell phone.

    > What cell phone is it? Each one behaves differently.
    >
    >> I open Kandy but cannot "find" the
    >> phone as it is plugged into the usb cable. Kandy settings show ttyS0 ..
    >> I have tried a lot of combinations of S0 ... S8 for my usb ports but
    >> noting works.

    > Only real serial ports show up as /dev/ttyS*.
    >
    >> Is there a way to probe for the phone to see if the usb port actually
    >> "sees" the phone and to find out which ttyS? port it is at?

    > You could try "lsusb" or "dmesg".

    The phone is a Lucky Gold

    When I used lsusb, this is what it says:

    [root@localhost ~]# lsusb
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04b8:0005 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus Printer
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c00c Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 047f:0301 Plantronics, Inc.
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    Port
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0545:8080 Xirlink, Inc. IBM C-It WebCam
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    [root@localhost ~]#

    I attempted to open Kandy but it crashes now with a message:

    Can't open device ttyS0 .... I am not able to access Kandy so I can change
    the default to ttyS8 which I "think" is the phone.

    Regards,

    Dave

  4. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > The phone is a Lucky Gold

    LG? If you happen to know which model number it is, you could google for
    it. Searching for LG PL2303 e.g. brings this one:

    http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/lg5350/

    > When I used lsusb, this is what it says:

    > Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    > Port

    That's probably your phone. You could try to plug it in/out and see
    which entry of lsusb appears/disappears.

    > I attempted to open Kandy but it crashes now with a message:

    > Can't open device ttyS0 .... I am not able to access Kandy so I can change
    > the default to ttyS8 which I "think" is the phone.

    Maybe it helps if you delete your kandyrc, e.g. here it is
    ~/.kde3.4/share/config/kandyrc .

    The USB serial port is probably somewhere in /dev/tts/, e.g.
    /dev/tts/USB0, or perhaps /dev/ttyUSB0 (depending on your kernel
    version, devfs/udev, distribution, and phase of the moon).

    Regards...
    Michael

  5. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    Michael Mauch wrote:

    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >> The phone is a Lucky Gold

    > LG? If you happen to know which model number it is, you could google for
    > it. Searching for LG PL2303 e.g. brings this one:
    >
    > http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/lg5350/
    >
    >> When I used lsusb, this is what it says:

    >> Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    >> Port

    > That's probably your phone. You could try to plug it in/out and see
    > which entry of lsusb appears/disappears.
    >
    >> I attempted to open Kandy but it crashes now with a message:

    >> Can't open device ttyS0 .... I am not able to access Kandy so I can
    >> change the default to ttyS8 which I "think" is the phone.

    > Maybe it helps if you delete your kandyrc, e.g. here it is
    > ~/.kde3.4/share/config/kandyrc .
    >
    > The USB serial port is probably somewhere in /dev/tts/, e.g.
    > /dev/tts/USB0, or perhaps /dev/ttyUSB0 (depending on your kernel
    > version, devfs/udev, distribution, and phase of the moon).
    >
    > Regards...
    > Michael

    OK, I checked using lsusb and plugging in and unplugging the cable to the
    phone, and indeed the line:

    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    Port

    is the LuckyGold phone: S/W Version: LX540V08 and PRL Version PRL 10024

    I removed the kandyrc and Kandy is OK. hat is a good tip which I bet will
    work on any application which has an rc script. Got to remember that!

    Finding the /dev is the next challenge for me. I am going to go through
    each one and see if I can find the phone. I note that lsusb changes each
    time I unplug and plug in the usb cable for the phone:

    Plug and unplug first time:

    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    Port

    Plug and unplug second time:

    Bus 001 Device 010: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    Port

    Thanks for the help this far!

    Cheers,

    Dave

  6. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > Michael Mauch wrote:
    >
    >> CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >>
    >>> The phone is a Lucky Gold

    >> LG? If you happen to know which model number it is, you could google for
    >> it. Searching for LG PL2303 e.g. brings this one:
    >>
    >> http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/lg5350/
    >>
    >>> When I used lsusb, this is what it says:

    >>> Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    >>> Port

    >> That's probably your phone. You could try to plug it in/out and see
    >> which entry of lsusb appears/disappears.
    >>
    >>> I attempted to open Kandy but it crashes now with a message:

    >>> Can't open device ttyS0 .... I am not able to access Kandy so I can
    >>> change the default to ttyS8 which I "think" is the phone.

    >> Maybe it helps if you delete your kandyrc, e.g. here it is
    >> ~/.kde3.4/share/config/kandyrc .
    >>
    >> The USB serial port is probably somewhere in /dev/tts/, e.g.
    >> /dev/tts/USB0, or perhaps /dev/ttyUSB0 (depending on your kernel
    >> version, devfs/udev, distribution, and phase of the moon).
    >>
    >> Regards...
    >> Michael

    > OK, I checked using lsusb and plugging in and unplugging the cable to the
    > phone, and indeed the line:
    >
    > Bus 001 Device 009: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    > Port
    >
    > is the LuckyGold phone: S/W Version: LX540V08 and PRL Version PRL 10024
    >
    > I removed the kandyrc and Kandy is OK. hat is a good tip which I bet will
    > work on any application which has an rc script. Got to remember that!
    >
    > Finding the /dev is the next challenge for me. I am going to go through
    > each one and see if I can find the phone. I note that lsusb changes each
    > time I unplug and plug in the usb cable for the phone:
    >
    > Plug and unplug first time:
    >
    > Bus 001 Device 009: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    > Port
    >
    > Plug and unplug second time:
    >
    > Bus 001 Device 010: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
    > Port
    >
    > Thanks for the help this far!
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Dave

    Nothing so far. I emailed the developer but it appears he stopped work on
    Kandy in 2002 ... in any event I didn't get a reply, but with the holidays
    and all I might hear from him next year.

    The problem for me is trying all the possible combinations of "/dev/tty .. "

    If there were a way for me to "make a device" and designate the Bus 001
    Device 010 inside the Kandy configuration script .....

    Still working on it!

    Cheers,

    Dave

  7. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > The problem for me is trying all the possible combinations of "/dev/tty .. "

    > If there were a way for me to "make a device" and designate the Bus 001
    > Device 010 inside the Kandy configuration script .....

    What are the last lines of the output of "dmesg" after you plugged the
    phone in? By "last lines" I mean the lines starting with something like:

    usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

    It should say something like

    usb 2-1.4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

    near the end.

    Which distribution do you run? Do you use udev, devfs or static /dev?

    Regards...
    Michael

  8. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    Michael Mauch wrote:

    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >> The problem for me is trying all the possible combinations of "/dev/tty
    >> .. "

    >> If there were a way for me to "make a device" and designate the Bus 001
    >> Device 010 inside the Kandy configuration script .....

    > What are the last lines of the output of "dmesg" after you plugged the
    > phone in? By "last lines" I mean the lines starting with something like:
    >
    > usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    >
    > It should say something like
    >
    > usb 2-1.4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    >
    > near the end.
    >
    > Which distribution do you run? Do you use udev, devfs or static /dev?
    >
    > Regards...
    > Michael

    Thank you for your reply, Michael.

    I understand what and why you are asking ... here is the dmesg output for
    the "handy"

    usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
    pl2303 1-3.4:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected
    usb 1-3.4: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    usbcore: registered new driver pl2303
    drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
    v0.12

    You see that the phone is attached to /dev/ttyUSB0 .. however, when using
    Kandy's configuration WND when looking at the .rc script to verify
    that /dev/ttyUSB0 is "attached" to Kandy's configuration, Kandy does not
    recognize the phone (actually Kandy does not do anything, no values changed
    and the terminal is empty.)

    So, my assumption is that /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct setting, but Kandy is
    not communicating with the handy.

    My distro is FC3 with KDE latest stable.

    CHeers,

    Dave

  9. Re: Finding new cell phone with Kandy

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > Michael Mauch wrote:
    >
    >> CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >>
    >>> The problem for me is trying all the possible combinations of "/dev/tty
    >>> .. "

    >>> If there were a way for me to "make a device" and designate the Bus 001
    >>> Device 010 inside the Kandy configuration script .....

    >> What are the last lines of the output of "dmesg" after you plugged the
    >> phone in? By "last lines" I mean the lines starting with something like:
    >>
    >> usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    >>
    >> It should say something like
    >>
    >> usb 2-1.4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    >>
    >> near the end.
    >>
    >> Which distribution do you run? Do you use udev, devfs or static /dev?
    >>
    >> Regards...
    >> Michael

    > Thank you for your reply, Michael.
    >
    > I understand what and why you are asking ... here is the dmesg output for
    > the "handy"
    >
    > usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
    > drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
    > drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
    > pl2303 1-3.4:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected
    > usb 1-3.4: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    > usbcore: registered new driver pl2303
    > drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
    > v0.12
    >

    > You see that the phone is attached to /dev/ttyUSB0 .. however, when using
    > Kandy's configuration WND when looking at the .rc script to verify
    > that /dev/ttyUSB0 is "attached" to Kandy's configuration, Kandy does not
    > recognize the phone (actually Kandy does not do anything, no values
    > changed and the terminal is empty.)
    >
    > So, my assumption is that /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct setting, but Kandy
    > is not communicating with the handy.
    >
    > My distro is FC3 with KDE latest stable.
    >
    > CHeers,
    >
    > Dave

    Some more Informations:

    This is the rc file:

    [General]
    CurrentProfile=/usr/share/apps/kandy/default.kandy

    [MainWindow]
    Height 1024=486
    Width 1280=509

    [Serial Port]
    AutoSetClock=false
    Serial Device=/dev/ttyUSB0
    StartupModem=false

    Here is the terminal output:

    [root@localhost ~]# kandy
    *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x00519a00 ***
    Alarm clock
    [root@localhost ~]#

    /dev/ttyUSB0 (that is a "zero" not an "O") permissions are set to dave and
    group uucp

    Any help so far?

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread