Strange cursor problem - KDE

This is a discussion on Strange cursor problem - KDE ; Hi there, Something really strange just started to happen to my mouse cursor. It turns back to standard X cursor over non-KDE apps, aswell as above an icon in the systray which represents such an app. It keeps on changing ...

  1. Strange cursor problem

    Hi there,

    Something really strange just started to happen to my mouse cursor. It
    turns back to standard X cursor over non-KDE apps, aswell as above an
    icon in the systray which represents such an app.

    It keeps on changing of shape whenever needed but it's not the cursor
    set in KDE anymore.

    It's really strange. I never noticed such a behavior before.

    Any idea where it comes from? I have none. If you have a solution, I'll
    also gladly welcome it.

    --
    ==================
    Remi Villatel

  2. Re: Strange cursor problem

    __/ [Remi Villatel] on Saturday 24 December 2005 00:48 \__

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Something really strange just started to happen to my mouse cursor. It
    > turns back to standard X cursor over non-KDE apps, aswell as above an
    > icon in the systray which represents such an app.
    >
    > It keeps on changing of shape whenever needed but it's not the cursor
    > set in KDE anymore.
    >
    > It's really strange. I never noticed such a behavior before.
    >
    > Any idea where it comes from? I have none. If you have a solution, I'll
    > also gladly welcome it.

    This happens when you handle windows whose source is another computer with
    another desktop environment or settings. Are you SSH'ing by any chance?
    Any imported window anywhere in your session? I also noticed that KDE, by
    its nature, will have the default pointers before and throughout login,
    possibly aligning with root's KDE settings until the desktop environment
    has been fully loaded.

    Pointers in KDE/X are somewhat a flaky business. They are powerful in the
    sense that everything is extensible and very modular, but there are bugs.
    Would you believe that, in one case (KDE 3.1), screen 2 can never display
    any pointer other than the standard X cursor? Monitor 2 dies immediately
    if I try and I have to restart X (e.g. CTRL+F1, CTRL+F7). This can become
    very frustrating if you cannot control the cursors that come from a window
    on another computer.

    Roy

  3. Re: Strange cursor problem

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>Something really strange just started to happen to my mouse cursor. It
    >>turns back to standard X cursor over non-KDE apps, aswell as above an
    >>icon in the systray which represents such an app.

    [---CUT---]

    > This happens when you handle windows whose source is another computer with
    > another desktop environment or settings. Are you SSH'ing by any chance?
    > Any imported window anywhere in your session? I also noticed that KDE, by
    > its nature, will have the default pointers before and throughout login,
    > possibly aligning with root's KDE settings until the desktop environment
    > has been fully loaded.

    No, I'm not SSH'ing any way. The problem arises only above Firefox and
    Thunderbird, and Gnome apps... but not the GiMP. That's really strange.
    Probably my X config has some glitches that turns non-KDE apps into
    imported ones.

    > Pointers in KDE/X are somewhat a flaky business. They are powerful in the

    You can't be more true. I'm still trying to understand why we have to
    restart KDE just to change the style of the mouse cursor although it's
    possible to change it on the fly when you hover the samples of the new
    style.

    --
    Remi Villatel

+ Reply to Thread