KDE 3.4.0-6 on Fedora FC4 Hopelessly mangles Text Mode Screen After Second Logoff - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE 3.4.0-6 on Fedora FC4 Hopelessly mangles Text Mode Screen After Second Logoff - KDE ; ***Newbie Alert*** I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI Radeon 7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then changed inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing ...

  1. KDE 3.4.0-6 on Fedora FC4 Hopelessly mangles Text Mode Screen After Second Logoff

    ***Newbie Alert***

    I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI Radeon
    7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then changed
    inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing else and have not
    touched any configuration files.

    The problem is that I can type "startx", go into KDE, and logoff again -
    getting a perfectly good text mode screen with which I may continue to work
    without any problems. However, if I then type startx again - I can reenter
    KDE without any problem, but after logging out the _second_ time, the
    previous character text is disrupted, "ckear" doesn't help, and if I press
    to many keyes or s, I eventually get incomprehensible reverse color
    characters in an assortment of foreign languages. I can type "startx" again
    and get a perfectly good KDE session, but the problem repeats itslef upon
    logging out from KDE.

    I should point out that the same problem occurs with gnome.

    I;d appreciate any help.

    Cheers,
    Lavie

  2. Re: KDE 3.4.0-6 on Fedora FC4 Hopelessly mangles Text Mode Screen After Second Logoff

    Meron LAVIE (lavie@net2vision.net.il) wrote:

    > ***Newbie Alert***
    >
    > I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI
    > Radeon 7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then
    > changed inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing else and
    > have not touched any configuration files.
    >
    > The problem is that I can type "startx", go into KDE, and logoff again -
    > getting a perfectly good text mode screen with which I may continue to
    > work without any problems. However, if I then type startx again - I can
    > reenter KDE without any problem, but after logging out the _second_ time,
    > the previous character text is disrupted, "clear" doesn't help, and if I
    > press to many keys or s, I eventually get incomprehensible reverse
    > color characters in an assortment of foreign languages. I can type
    > "startx" again and get a perfectly good KDE session, but the problem
    > repeats itself upon logging out from KDE.
    >
    > I should point out that the same problem occurs with gnome.
    >
    > I;d appreciate any help.

    I have no idea what's causing this behavior, but have you tried using "stty
    sane" on returning to the text console?

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier -- "In Unix veritas"

  3. Re: KDE 3.4.0-6 on Fedora FC4 Hopelessly mangles Text Mode Screen After Second Logoff

    Meron LAVIE wrote:

    > ***Newbie Alert***
    >
    > I just installed Fedora Core 4 on a PIII/1GHz with 512 RAM and a ATI
    > Radeon 7200 video card. I used the "Install Everything" option and then
    > changed inittab to start at runlevel 3. I have installed nothing else and
    > have not touched any configuration files.

    Have you installed any updates at all? I highly recommend you do. FC4 is 9
    months old, there are alot of updates available

    > The problem is that I can type "startx", go into KDE, and logoff again -
    > getting a perfectly good text mode screen with which I may continue to
    > work without any problems. However, if I then type startx again - I can
    > reenter KDE without any problem, but after logging out the _second_ time,
    > the previous character text is disrupted, "ckear" doesn't help, and if I
    > press to many keyes or s, I eventually get incomprehensible reverse
    > color characters in an assortment of foreign languages. I can type
    > "startx" again and get a perfectly good KDE session, but the problem
    > repeats itslef upon logging out from KDE.
    >
    > I should point out that the same problem occurs with gnome.
    >
    > I;d appreciate any help.

    This does not happen on my install of FC4. But it's updated, and I use KDE
    3.5.2 as packaged by kde-redhat.sf.net and I don't have a Radeon card (I
    have an nVidia, using their latest driver).

    After updating to current FC4, you may want to update to the latest video
    driver from ATI, too.

    Regards,
    Tim
    --
    Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.16-tim
    KDE: 3.5.2-1.4, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

+ Reply to Thread