Mouse trouble - KDE

This is a discussion on Mouse trouble - KDE ; I have a fairly new home-built computer that's having mouse related trouble. My mouse looses the ability to move my cursor vertically with annoying frequency. I don't think that the mouse itself has trouble, although it could be related to ...

  1. Mouse trouble

    I have a fairly new home-built computer that's having mouse related
    trouble. My mouse looses the ability to move my cursor vertically with
    annoying frequency. I don't think that the mouse itself has trouble,
    although it could be related to mouse configuration. I can force the
    problem to occur at any time by clicking on the "Edit" menu button in
    Konqueror. After that I can't do anything with the computer other than
    power it off, and move the mouse cursor left and right. Ctrl-Alt-Del
    doesn't work, nor does Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc, nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn, nor do the
    kernel SysRq keys.

    I've googled a lot, read FAQs, and haven't be successful at all in
    changing the behavior.

    My system uses an Athlon 4200+ 64-X2 in an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye motherboard.
    The video card is a Radeon 9250. The keyboard is Logitec, and the mouse
    is a 3-button Logitec unit which I've used quite a bit with a laptop and
    with no problems in that application.

    The OS is Mandriva 2006.0.

    Can anyone please advise me on this?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: Mouse trouble

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > I have a fairly new home-built computer that's having mouse related
    > trouble. My mouse looses the ability to move my cursor vertically with
    > annoying frequency. I don't think that the mouse itself has trouble,
    > although it could be related to mouse configuration. I can force the
    > problem to occur at any time by clicking on the "Edit" menu button in
    > Konqueror. After that I can't do anything with the computer other than
    > power it off, and move the mouse cursor left and right. Ctrl-Alt-Del
    > doesn't work, nor does Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc, nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn, nor do the
    > kernel SysRq keys.
    >
    > I've googled a lot, read FAQs, and haven't be successful at all in
    > changing the behavior.
    >
    > My system uses an Athlon 4200+ 64-X2 in an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye motherboard.
    > The video card is a Radeon 9250. The keyboard is Logitec, and the mouse
    > is a 3-button Logitec unit which I've used quite a bit with a laptop and
    > with no problems in that application.
    >
    > The OS is Mandriva 2006.0.
    >
    > Can anyone please advise me on this?
    >
    > Thanks....

    If you're using gpm, make sure X gets its mouse input from it
    in gpm repeater mode, or else try removing gpm.

  3. Re: Mouse trouble

    On 17 Dec 2005 07:20:31 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:

    >I have a fairly new home-built computer that's having mouse related
    >trouble. My mouse looses the ability to move my cursor vertically with
    >annoying frequency. I don't think that the mouse itself has trouble,
    >although it could be related to mouse configuration. I can force the
    >problem to occur at any time by clicking on the "Edit" menu button in
    >Konqueror. After that I can't do anything with the computer other than
    >power it off, and move the mouse cursor left and right. Ctrl-Alt-Del
    >doesn't work, nor does Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc, nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn, nor do the
    >kernel SysRq keys.
    >
    >I've googled a lot, read FAQs, and haven't be successful at all in
    >changing the behavior.
    >
    >My system uses an Athlon 4200+ 64-X2 in an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye motherboard.
    >The video card is a Radeon 9250. The keyboard is Logitec, and the mouse
    >is a 3-button Logitec unit which I've used quite a bit with a laptop and
    >with no problems in that application.
    >
    >The OS is Mandriva 2006.0.
    >
    >Can anyone please advise me on this?

    My first advice is to narrow it down to either hardware,
    hardware/configuration, or the software.

    If I had your problem, this is what I would do.

    1. It's probably not the mouse itself, because of the lockup.
    Dirt in the mouse wouldn't do that.
    Your problem may be in the way you setup your mouse
    in Xorg.conf. Is it a serial mouse, a ps2 mouse? Google for
    "Xorg logitech mouse" and see if it looks like your Xorg.conf
    file. If it's a serial mouse, make sure the bios is setup right, so
    you are not sharing it's irq with something else.

    2. Second, see if it's X releated. See if gpm ( console textmode mouse)
    is running. When you go to a text console, (from X you do
    control-alt-F1 ) and see if you see a white block when you move
    the mouse around. If so, try killing gpm with "gpm -k", then go back
    to X with alt-F7. If the problem disaapears, find out how to stop
    gpm from starting at boot.

    If you don't see the white block in a text console, start it, and
    see if the mouse works OK. Run "gpm -m /dev/mouse" and see
    how it works.

    3. KDE is very complex, try installing a different WM like ICEWM, and
    see if the mouse works in it.

    4. Last, try a different distribution. SuSE does a good job of setting
    hardware. You can get OpenSUSE for free.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

  4. Re: Mouse trouble

    Russell Shaw wrote:
    > If you're using gpm, make sure X gets its mouse input from it
    > in gpm repeater mode, or else try removing gpm.

    I'm not sure how to even tell if X is getting its mouse input from gpm.
    Do you know how I can check that?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  5. Re: Mouse trouble

    zentara wrote:
    > My first advice is to narrow it down to either hardware,
    > hardware/configuration, or the software.
    >
    > If I had your problem, this is what I would do.
    >
    > 1. It's probably not the mouse itself, because of the lockup.
    > Dirt in the mouse wouldn't do that.
    > Your problem may be in the way you setup your mouse
    > in Xorg.conf. Is it a serial mouse, a ps2 mouse? Google for
    > "Xorg logitech mouse" and see if it looks like your Xorg.conf
    > file. If it's a serial mouse, make sure the bios is setup right, so
    > you are not sharing it's irq with something else.

    My mouse is a Logitech 3-button unit which I bought as part of a
    turn-key Linux system back in 1996. I've used it with a PS/2
    configuration on other systems. This system's dmesg's say this:

    101 PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
    102 PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq".
    If it helps, post a report
    127 PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
    128 serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
    129 serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
    146 PCI: Via IRQ fixup for 0000:00:0f.1, from 255 to 4
    162 mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    175 input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
    199 logips2pp: Detected unknown logitech mouse model 11
    200 input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1

    The numbers at the start of each line above are the line number
    of the messages in the dmesg output. I think I'll try that
    "pci=routeirq" suggestion.

    I'm not sure what that "isa0060/serio1" is about. I don't think
    I have a serial mouse; don't those have D style connectors? I
    have a small PS/2 style connector on mine.

    I looked at some xorg.conf files on the net. Mine, below,
    doesn't look too different.

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
    EndSection

    I tried a different mouse, a USB unit, and I experienced the same
    trouble. Yes, I did reconfigure my mouse when I did the swap.

    > 2. Second, see if it's X releated. See if gpm ( console textmode mouse)
    > is running. When you go to a text console, (from X you do
    > control-alt-F1 ) and see if you see a white block when you move
    > the mouse around. If so, try killing gpm with "gpm -k", then go back
    > to X with alt-F7. If the problem disaapears, find out how to stop
    > gpm from starting at boot.
    >
    > If you don't see the white block in a text console, start it, and
    > see if the mouse works OK. Run "gpm -m /dev/mouse" and see
    > how it works.

    At first I didn't even have gpm installed. So I installed it and
    started it. It didn't work right away, so I rebooted, at which point I
    did get the little white box that moves with the mouse.

    > 3. KDE is very complex, try installing a different WM like ICEWM, and
    > see if the mouse works in it.

    IceWM does the same thing, but it takes quite a bit longer for the
    problem to appear. Sometimes (either WM) all I need do is click button
    1 on the mouse and my whole system locks up to the point of needing to
    be power cycled.

    > 4. Last, try a different distribution. SuSE does a good job of setting
    > hardware. You can get OpenSUSE for free.

    I have a live SuSE 9.X CD that I'll try.

    Thanks!

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  6. Re: Mouse trouble

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Russell Shaw wrote:
    >
    >>If you're using gpm, make sure X gets its mouse input from it
    >>in gpm repeater mode, or else try removing gpm.

    > I'm not sure how to even tell if X is getting its mouse input from gpm.
    > Do you know how I can check that?

    Make sure you have in /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "MS Wheel Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

    X will then be getting mouse events relayed from gpm.

  7. Re: Mouse trouble

    Russell Shaw wrote:
    > > I'm not sure how to even tell if X is getting its mouse input from gpm.
    > > Do you know how I can check that?

    > Make sure you have in /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    >

    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "MS Wheel Mouse"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    > Option "CorePointer"
    > EndSection
    >

    > X will then be getting mouse events relayed from gpm.

    That didn't work so well, i.e. the system locked up, and this time even
    before I moved the mouse. Thanks *much* for the debugging advice tho.
    I think I'll eliminate gpm from my realm of possible troubles.

    Cheerio...

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  8. Re: Mouse trouble

    zentara wrote:
    > On 17 Dec 2005 07:20:31 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:
    > >My system uses an Athlon 4200+ 64-X2 in an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye
    > >motherboard. The video card is a Radeon 9250. The keyboard
    > >is Logitec, and the mouse is a 3-button Logitec unit which
    > >I've used quite a bit with a laptop and with no problems in
    > >that application. The OS is Mandriva 2006.0.

    The problem is that mouse clicking will eventually cause the system to
    lock up to the point that power cycling is required.

    There are no problems in console mode, i.e. run-level 3.

    > My first advice is to narrow it down to either hardware,
    > hardware/configuration, or the software.

    I sure like the logic to Zentara's method.

    > If I had your problem, this is what I would do.
    >
    > 1. It's probably not the mouse itself, because of the lockup.
    > Dirt in the mouse wouldn't do that.
    > Your problem may be in the way you setup your mouse
    > in Xorg.conf. Is it a serial mouse, a ps2 mouse? Google for
    > "Xorg logitech mouse" and see if it looks like your Xorg.conf
    > file. If it's a serial mouse, make sure the bios is setup right, so
    > you are not sharing it's irq with something else.

    Since you mentioned BIOS setup, I downloaded an update for my MB BIOS
    and flashed it. I haven't detected any difference in this problem as a
    result of that. For what it's worth, I haven't detected any differences
    at all.

    > 2. Second, see if it's X releated. See if gpm ( console textmode mouse)
    > is running. When you go to a text console, (from X you do
    > control-alt-F1 ) and see if you see a white block when you move
    > the mouse around. If so, try killing gpm with "gpm -k", then go back
    > to X with alt-F7. If the problem disaapears, find out how to stop
    > gpm from starting at boot.
    >
    > If you don't see the white block in a text console, start it, and
    > see if the mouse works OK. Run "gpm -m /dev/mouse" and see
    > how it works.

    Adding gpm didn't help. See other posting in thread for more details.
    I'm going to remove gpm.

    > 4. Last, try a different distribution. SuSE does a good job of setting
    > hardware. You can get OpenSUSE for free.

    Great suggestion. I tried a number of distributions.

    - "64Studio" version 0.6.0 for AMD64, released 12/17/05, Debian based.
    Uses Gnome & 2.6.something (12?) kernel.

    This locks up even faster. This was my first Debian based
    installation. Wow, am I ever spoiled by Mandriva installations.

    - APODIO 4.2.2 Live CD based on Mandriva, but customized for audio
    applications.

    Same lock-ups.

    - SuSE 9.2 Live, tailored for Audio. Uses 2.6.8 kernel & KDE 3.3.

    Works just fine!

    That's a *BIG* clue. I need to reboot that SuSE Live CD and examine the
    X config file and the X version. What else should I compare between
    SuSE and Mandriva? I'd really rather not switch distributions since it
    will cause more work for me to maintain multiple distributions.

    Thanks much....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  9. Re: Mouse trouble

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Russell Shaw wrote:
    >
    >>>I'm not sure how to even tell if X is getting its mouse input from gpm.
    >>>Do you know how I can check that?

    >>Make sure you have in /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    >>

    >>Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "MS Wheel Mouse"
    >> Driver "mouse"
    >> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    >> Option "CorePointer"
    >>EndSection
    >>

    >>X will then be getting mouse events relayed from gpm.

    > That didn't work so well, i.e. the system locked up, and this time even
    > before I moved the mouse. Thanks *much* for the debugging advice tho.
    > I think I'll eliminate gpm from my realm of possible troubles.

    This will usually generate an X config file with working mouse
    (remove gpm first):

    Xorg -configure

    Now paste the relevant mouse section into your existing Xorg.conf file.

  10. Re: Mouse trouble

    On 29 Dec 2005 08:07:53 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:

    >zentara wrote:

    >> 4. Last, try a different distribution. SuSE does a good job of setting
    >> hardware. You can get OpenSUSE for free.

    >Great suggestion. I tried a number of distributions.
    >
    > - SuSE 9.2 Live, tailored for Audio. Uses 2.6.8 kernel & KDE 3.3.
    >
    > Works just fine!
    >
    >That's a *BIG* clue. I need to reboot that SuSE Live CD and examine the
    >X config file and the X version. What else should I compare between
    >SuSE and Mandriva? I'd really rather not switch distributions since it
    >will cause more work for me to maintain multiple distributions.

    Ahh... Now you need to determine whether it is the kernel and it's
    modules, or the X server.

    If you are savvy enough, see if you can
    boot your problem distro with the SuSE 9.2 kernel and modules.
    If it works, then you know it's the kernel and modules.
    If it dosn't work, it probably is the way your /dev section
    gets setup OR the Xserver. You can get the latest XORG
    and build it from scratch, it isn't too hard.

    Some other thought:

    Check the Xorg.conf. If mouse is defined as /dev/mouse, go to
    /dev and see what /dev/mouse points to. Make sure it points to the right
    type of mouse. You can always use /dev/mouse OR directly like
    /dev/psaux. You can also check which Options are specified
    in the mouse section, like Option "Protocol" "PS/2"

    I have a Logitech Scroll Mouse, with the middle scroll wheel
    acting like a middle button. My options are:
    ################################################## ########
    Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier and driver

    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"

    # The mouse protocol and device. The device is normally set to
    /dev/mouse,
    # which is usually a symbolic link to the real device.

    # Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

    # On platforms where PnP mouse detection is supported the following
    # protocol setting can be used when using a newer PnP mouse:

    # Option "Protocol" "Auto"

    # When using mouse connected to a PS/2 port (aka "MousePort"), set the
    # the protocol as follows. On some platforms some other settings may
    # be available.

    # Option "Protocol" "PS/2"

    #scroll mouse
    Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

    # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some older Logitech mice. In
    # almost every case these lines should be omitted.

    # Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    Option "SampleRate" "150"

    # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button mice
    # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

    # Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

    # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice, or any
    # 3-button mouse where the middle button generates left+right button
    # events.

    Option "ChordMiddle"

    EndSection
    ################################################## #############

    Do a lsmod, and compare what kernel modules are loaded.
    Look very closely to the driver used for the mouse. See which
    module SuSE loaded.

    Compare kernel versions, and the config files they use. SuSE
    usually has a copy of the kernel config in /boot. Look at the mouse
    drivers in the kernel code, and see what changes were made.
    SuSE sometimes patches their kernel to add alot of fixes, see
    if you can get their kernel source rpm and look for mouse patches.

    Don't just flash your bios, go in there and start looking at the setup.
    Look at the serial irq's and disable them if not used. See if there
    is some setting for ps2 irq, and make sure it is not shared with
    a serial port or sound card. Look at /proc/irq and see any differences.

    You might be wasting alot of time on this, why not just go buy
    another serial mouse for $10, and change to serial mouse?
    Maybe that particular motherboard you have, needs some special
    driver for ps2 mouse?

    Every motherboard has some peculiarities, considering the complexity
    of systems these days, don't get yourself into a trap of worrying over
    something so small, when a $10 serial mouse can fix it.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

+ Reply to Thread