What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements? - KDE

This is a discussion on What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements? - KDE ; Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5? I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is so slow. It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These ...

  1. What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?

    I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
    so slow.

    It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
    processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
    kded uses 125 MB of memory.
    X uses 290 MB of memory.

  2. Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    Amund scribed thusly:

    > Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?
    >

    > I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
    > so slow.
    >
    > It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
    > processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
    > kded uses 125 MB of memory.
    > X uses 290 MB of memory.

    That's interesting - I'm running KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 5.10 on a 1.5GHZ celeron
    processor with 762 MB RAM. I've currently got 38 processes running,
    including KMail, Knode and Konqeror.

    CPU usage is currently running at 5%, user RAM at 215 MB out of 726 MB, and
    no swap used at all.

    I think you need to look at your system monitor to see what's taking up all
    your resources.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10

  3. Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    I'm running KDE on P4 2.5GHz and it can be extremely slow at times. The
    longer the system runs, the more memory it seems to use up.
    I have 512 megs of ram; when I fist start up KDE approx 100 - 150 megs are
    in use, but after a few days it's in the 300 - 400 meg range even when i'm
    not using many programs..
    I've looked at the guide to improving KDE performance and applied some of
    the steps but they didn't help much.

    Alex.
    "Gordon" wrote in message
    > Amund scribed thusly:
    >
    > > Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?
    > >

    > > I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
    > > so slow.
    > >
    > > It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
    > > processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
    > > kded uses 125 MB of memory.
    > > X uses 290 MB of memory.

    > That's interesting - I'm running KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 5.10 on a 1.5GHZ

    celeron
    > processor with 762 MB RAM. I've currently got 38 processes running,
    > including KMail, Knode and Konqeror.
    >
    > CPU usage is currently running at 5%, user RAM at 215 MB out of 726 MB,

    and
    > no swap used at all.
    >
    > I think you need to look at your system monitor to see what's taking up

    all
    > your resources.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User no 240308
    > Ubuntu 5.10
    > gordonDOTburgessparkerATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    > to email me replace the obvious!

  4. Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    Alex scribed thusly:

    > I'm running KDE on P4 2.5GHz and it can be extremely slow at times. The
    > longer the system runs, the more memory it seems to use up.
    > I have 512 megs of ram; when I fist start up KDE approx 100 - 150 megs are
    > in use, but after a few days it's in the 300 - 400 meg range even when i'm
    > not using many programs..
    > I've looked at the guide to improving KDE performance and applied some of
    > the steps but they didn't help much.

    But are you "monitoring" your system monitor to see what process(es) is(are)
    increasingly taking up your resources?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10
    to email me replace the obvious!

  5. Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    __/ [Alex] on Thursday 15 December 2005 12:56 \__

    > "Gordon" wrote in message
    >> Amund scribed thusly:
    >>
    >> > Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?
    >> >

    >> > I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
    >> > so slow.
    >> >
    >> > It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
    >> > processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
    >> > kded uses 125 MB of memory.
    >> > X uses 290 MB of memory.

    >> That's interesting - I'm running KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 5.10 on a 1.5GHZ

    > celeron
    >> processor with 762 MB RAM. I've currently got 38 processes running,
    >> including KMail, Knode and Konqeror.
    >>
    >> CPU usage is currently running at 5%, user RAM at 215 MB out of 726 MB,

    > and
    >> no swap used at all.
    >>
    >> I think you need to look at your system monitor to see what's taking up

    > all
    >> your resources.

    > I'm running KDE on P4 2.5GHz and it can be extremely slow at times. The
    > longer the system runs, the more memory it seems to use up.
    > I have 512 megs of ram; when I fist start up KDE approx 100 - 150 megs are
    > in use, but after a few days it's in the 300 - 400 meg range even when i'm
    > not using many programs..
    > I've looked at the guide to improving KDE performance and applied some of
    > the steps but they didn't help much.
    >
    > Alex.

    * KDE 3.1 on a 1.8 GHz processor, 512 RAM - very fast and responsive
    * KDE 3.4 on a 2.2 GHz processor, 256 RAM - ditto, although shadows,
    fade-in/out, translucency effects enabled are 'CPU murder'
    * GNOME on a 1.5 GHz processor - probably quicker than both of the above,
    but everything runs over SSH so it is hard to judge

    Your situation reminds me of an issue that I sometimes have. xlock has a
    conflict with X if I leave the machine locked and connect from outside. I
    have absolutely no idea why. The two processes are fighting over the CPU,
    bringing usage up to 100% when they are supposed to be idle. This can go
    on forever unless I kill xlock. When all functions properly, X should take
    2-10% of the CPU capacity. Something must be set wrong on your machine.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  6. Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    Amund wrote:

    > Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?
    >

    > I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
    > so slow.
    >
    > It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
    > processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
    > kded uses 125 MB of memory.
    > X uses 290 MB of memory.

    The cpu utilization goes down from 100% to ~15% if i quit the Kat daemon.

    The PC works fine now!

  7. Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

    Amund wrote:

    > Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?
    >

    > I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
    > so slow.
    >
    > It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
    > processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
    > kded uses 125 MB of memory.
    > X uses 290 MB of memory.

    I'm not getting that type of memory consumption. I'm running it on an AMD64
    3000+ with 1Gb RAM. However, memory leaks would likely still manifest
    themselves if it were an issue in the code. I'm using the Gentoo distro.

+ Reply to Thread