SMB Printer - KDE

This is a discussion on SMB Printer - KDE ; Hi All, I've been having a lot of trouble printing to a windows printer from debian. When I go into 'Control Center' -> 'Peripherals' -> 'Printers' and click 'Add', then 'Add Printer/Class' option is grayed out. Also, I've tried following ...

  1. SMB Printer

    Hi All,
    I've been having a lot of trouble printing to a windows printer from debian.
    When I go into 'Control Center' -> 'Peripherals' -> 'Printers' and click
    'Add', then 'Add Printer/Class' option is grayed out.

    Also, I've tried following the steps at to add the printer at the command
    line at
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/...-Printing.html
    However, when I get to the point where I add the printer with the command:
    lpadmin -p Brother -v smb://saturn/Brother -P /root/brother.ppd
    i get the following:
    lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: client-error-not-found

    Have followed all other steps in document and can see the Windows printer
    with smbclient.

    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Alex

  2. Re: SMB Printer

    Alex wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I've been having a lot of trouble printing to a windows printer from
    > debian. When I go into 'Control Center' -> 'Peripherals' -> 'Printers' and
    > click 'Add', then 'Add Printer/Class' option is grayed out.
    >
    > Also, I've tried following the steps at to add the printer at the command
    > line at

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/...-Printing.html
    > However, when I get to the point where I add the printer with the command:
    > lpadmin -p Brother -v smb://saturn/Brother -P /root/brother.ppd
    > i get the following:
    > lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: client-error-not-found
    >
    > Have followed all other steps in document and can see the Windows printer
    > with smbclient.
    >
    > Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    > Alex

    Are you a root user when adding the printer?

+ Reply to Thread