Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI - KDE

This is a discussion on Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI - KDE ; Under Windows I've used WinZip for a long time to handle a number of large ZIP files which are passworded. On Linux I tried the Ark utility which was installed as part of the Mandrake Linux installation. While Ark is ...

  1. Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI

    Under Windows I've used WinZip for a long time to handle a number of large
    ZIP files which are passworded. On Linux I tried the Ark utility which was
    installed as part of the Mandrake Linux installation.

    While Ark is a fine product it does not appear to cater for passworded
    archives. If a newer version of Ark does this could someone please give me
    the relevant information - I have version 2.1.9

    Can someone tell me about a good *GUI-based* archiving utilty whoch *does*
    cater for passwording?

    BTW, I use Mandrake Linux 10.0 [KDE 3.2] on a P4 computer with 512MB memory.

    TIA

    Rob.

  2. Re: Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI

    Rob wrote:
    > Under Windows I've used WinZip for a long time to handle a number of large
    > ZIP files which are passworded. On Linux I tried the Ark utility which was
    > installed as part of the Mandrake Linux installation.
    >
    > While Ark is a fine product it does not appear to cater for passworded
    > archives. If a newer version of Ark does this could someone please give me
    > the relevant information - I have version 2.1.9
    >
    > Can someone tell me about a good *GUI-based* archiving utilty whoch *does*
    > cater for passwording?
    >
    > BTW, I use Mandrake Linux 10.0 [KDE 3.2] on a P4 computer with 512MB memory.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob.

    I don't know of any GUI, but the Linux versions of 'zip' and 'unzip'
    are included with most Linux distros. They are commandline tools.

    Larry

  3. Re: Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI

    Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >> Under Windows I've used WinZip for a long time to handle a number of
    >> large
    >> ZIP files which are passworded. On Linux I tried the Ark utility which
    >> was installed as part of the Mandrake Linux installation.
    >>
    >> While Ark is a fine product it does not appear to cater for passworded
    >> archives. If a newer version of Ark does this could someone please give
    >> me the relevant information - I have version 2.1.9
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me about a good *GUI-based* archiving utilty whoch
    >> *does* cater for passwording?
    >>
    >> BTW, I use Mandrake Linux 10.0 [KDE 3.2] on a P4 computer with 512MB
    >> memory.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Rob.

    > I don't know of any GUI, but the Linux versions of 'zip' and 'unzip'
    > are included with most Linux distros. They are commandline tools.
    >
    > Larry

    I used to be running Ark by default to handle any type of archive (SuSE had
    this associations binding). I soon realised it was badly implemented, slow,
    and could be replaced by the simple, flexible command-line tool. I could
    use it just happily as I did with DOS (pkunzip) many years ago. Never try
    to use Ark for archives with ~10,000 files. It would knock your O/S over.
    Killing the process is of no use because it replicates itself.

    I had problems with password-protected ZIP files before. Ark just does not
    handle them. Having just taken Larry's advice, I tried unzip and indeed it
    prompted me for the password. So, he you solved the problem of at least 2
    people.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz