Konsole on Cygwin - starts /bin/sh by default - need /bin/bash - KDE

This is a discussion on Konsole on Cygwin - starts /bin/sh by default - need /bin/bash - KDE ; I'm running konsole on kde in cygwin. When I start konsole or open new shells within it, it always runs /bin/sh; I need to run 'bash' everytime to get bash - the shell I want to use. What config file ...

  1. Konsole on Cygwin - starts /bin/sh by default - need /bin/bash

    I'm running konsole on kde in cygwin. When I start konsole or open new
    shells within it, it always runs /bin/sh; I need to run 'bash'
    everytime to get bash - the shell I want to use. What config file
    must I edit to get konsole to use bash as my default shell.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Konsole on Cygwin - starts /bin/sh by default - need /bin/bash

    yum@spam.com wrote:

    > I'm running konsole on kde in cygwin. When I start konsole or open new
    > shells within it, it always runs /bin/sh; I need to run 'bash'
    > everytime to get bash - the shell I want to use. What config file
    > must I edit to get konsole to use bash as my default shell.
    >
    > Thanks

    /bin/sh is usually a link to whatever your default shell is. That is
    normally bash. Go to youer /bin directory. You should see something like
    this: /bin/sh -> bash . So you are using bash anyway.

    (I can't help with your other problem, as I am not a Cygwin user.)

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    In today's brief course

  3. Re: Konsole on Cygwin - starts /bin/sh by default - need /bin/bash

    That was my first thought too -- "WTF? It's the same shell, isn't
    it?", but no, apparently not:

    $ cd /bin
    $ ls -al sh bash
    -rwxr-x---+ 1xxxxxxxxxxxxx Users 512512 Oct 29 2004 bash
    -rwxr-x---+ 1 xxxxxxxxxxxxx Users 74240 Jan 27 2004 sh

    Cygwin does support symlinks, so that's not an issue. I really think
    it's just some boneheaded Konsole default setting I can't find.

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:26:35 +1000, Doug Laidlaw
    wrote:

    >yum@spam.com wrote:
    >

    >> I'm running konsole on kde in cygwin. When I start konsole or open new
    >> shells within it, it always runs /bin/sh; I need to run 'bash'
    >> everytime to get bash - the shell I want to use. What config file
    >> must I edit to get konsole to use bash as my default shell.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >/bin/sh is usually a link to whatever your default shell is. That is
    >normally bash. Go to youer /bin directory. You should see something like
    >this: /bin/sh -> bash . So you are using bash anyway.
    >
    >(I can't help with your other problem, as I am not a Cygwin user.)
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Doug.

+ Reply to Thread