Help With Theme - KDE

This is a discussion on Help With Theme - KDE ; Hi! I have Linux Mandrake.. I want to make my computer look like the one below. http://webpages.charter.net/joey31/ Can someone tell me what Linux distro that is? These guys were arguing on a net discussion group. I posted - and ask ...

  1. Help With Theme

    Hi!
    I have Linux Mandrake.. I want to make my computer look like the one below.
    http://webpages.charter.net/joey31/

    Can someone tell me what Linux distro that is?

    These guys were arguing on a net discussion group. I posted - and ask what
    distro that was but they ignored me for some reason.

    I've looked at all the KDE themes from www.kdelook.org but can't find that
    one.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Help With Theme

    Timmy wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have Linux Mandrake.. I want to make my computer look like the one
    > below. http://webpages.charter.net/joey31/
    >
    > Can someone tell me what Linux distro that is?
    >
    > These guys were arguing on a net discussion group. I posted - and ask what
    > distro that was but they ignored me for some reason.
    >
    > I've looked at all the KDE themes from www.kdelook.org but can't find that
    > one.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I went and looked at the pictures. That is nice! But sorry, I don't know
    which theme it is. There are zillions of themes for kde and gnome now. I
    wonder if this is one of the "other" x-windows?

    Cheers,

    Dave

    -----------------

    Study History - Know the Future

    http://misterfixit.blogspot.com
    http://daves928.blogspot.com
    http://carondelet.blogspot.com

  3. Re: Help With Theme

    Wayne wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:03:41 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >> I went and looked at the pictures. That is nice! But sorry, I don't
    >> know
    >> which theme it is. There are zillions of themes for kde and gnome now.
    >> I wonder if this is one of the "other" x-windows?

    > The second picture has a dead giveaway as to the OS :-) It looks
    > like gkrellm is running and says "FreeBSD" That and the red devil
    > icon on the far right toolbar :-)
    >
    > Wayne

    Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it and it looks
    nothing like those pics.

    Is freebsd as good as Mandrake?

  4. Re: Help With Theme

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:25:51 -0400, Timmy wrote:

    >> The second picture has a dead giveaway as to the OS :-) It looks like
    >> gkrellm is running and says "FreeBSD" That and the red devil icon on the
    >> far right toolbar :-)
    >>
    >> Wayne

    > Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it and it looks
    > nothing like those pics.

    Right, that means you have to customise it. Find Windowmaker themes
    on Google.

    > Is freebsd as good as Mandrake?

    I wouldn't know, never tried it.

    http://www.freebsd.org/

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    I was in love once. It was the worst 30 seconds of my life

  5. Re: Help With Theme

    Timmy wrote:

    > Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it and it looks
    > nothing like those pics.

    There are over 3,000 downloadable themes for Window Maker at:

    http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/918/

    Barbara

  6. Re: Help With Theme

    Timmy wrote:

    > Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it
    > and it looks nothing like those pics.

    It is WindowMaker. You can see it by the clip in the bottom right
    corner, a unique wmaker feature. There are thousands of WM themes
    at http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/918/?topic_id=918

    Ransom
    --
    For real email get public key 0xF6BB5695 from www.keyserver.net
    NO to Software Patents - http://www.ffii.org

  7. Re: Help With Theme

    Timmy wrote:
    > Wayne wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:03:41 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >>

    >>>I went and looked at the pictures. That is nice! But sorry, I don't
    >>>know
    >>>which theme it is. There are zillions of themes for kde and gnome now.
    >>>I wonder if this is one of the "other" x-windows?

    >>The second picture has a dead giveaway as to the OS :-) It looks
    >>like gkrellm is running and says "FreeBSD" That and the red devil
    >>icon on the far right toolbar :-)
    >>
    >>Wayne

    > Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it and it looks
    > nothing like those pics.
    >
    > Is freebsd as good as Mandrake?

    windowmaker looks better than kde, even though I do like toolbars for
    switching from program to program

  8. Re: Help With Theme

    And so, Timmy just had to say ...

    > Is freebsd as good as Mandrake?

    Mandrake (Mandriva) is pretty much a Red Hat clone - RPM system, etc. Don't
    get me wrong, I'm not knocking it. FreeBSD and Gentoo are more closely
    connected - ports <> portage, for instance.
    --
    oNb
    Warning: abortion has been proven to be fatal to the fetus.

  9. Re: Help With Theme

    Timmy wrote:
    > Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it and it looks
    > nothing like those pics.

    It is Window Maker, in fact. Of course it must have been configured to
    look that way. Perhaps you can try and contact joey31 at webpages and
    ask him for his Window Maker configuration files.

    > Is freebsd as good as Mandrake?

    I find Mandrake a real pita. I use FreeBSD and Debian GNU/Linux in
    proportion (9/1 at home and maybe 3/7 at work). Both FreeBSD and
    Debian GNU/Linux are excellent to me.

    --
    Saludos,
    Ángel

  10. Re: Help With Theme

    Wayne wrote:
    > The second picture has a dead giveaway as to the OS :-) It looks
    > like gkrellm is running and says "FreeBSD" That and the red devil
    > icon on the far right toolbar :-)

    In fact it is FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE.

    --
    Saludos,
    Ángel

  11. Re: Help With Theme

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:06:18 +0000, Ángel wrote:

    >> The second picture has a dead giveaway as to the OS :-) It looks like
    >> gkrellm is running and says "FreeBSD" That and the red devil icon on the
    >> far right toolbar :-)

    > In fact it is FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE.

    Stable? I didn't see any horses :-)

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    I was in love once. It was the worst 30 seconds of my life
    You can try sending mail to the address in the headers but it
    might not get read for a while, if at all.

  12. Re: Help With Theme

    On 2005-05-31, Timmy wrote:
    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:03:41 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went and looked at the pictures. That is nice! But sorry, I don't
    >>> know
    >>> which theme it is. There are zillions of themes for kde and gnome now.
    >>> I wonder if this is one of the "other" x-windows?

    >> The second picture has a dead giveaway as to the OS :-) It looks
    >> like gkrellm is running and says "FreeBSD" That and the red devil
    >> icon on the far right toolbar :-)
    >>
    >> Wayne

    > Someone said that the desktop was windowmaker. I installed it and it looks
    > nothing like those pics.
    >
    > Is freebsd as good as Mandrake?

    Freebsd is great. I tried Mandrake 10.2 on this old (PII 233 192MB) and
    it ran way too slow even with WindowMaker. So, I downloaded FreeBSD 5.4
    and it seems to run much faster. Even KDE is at an acceptable speed
    although I use WindowMaker (check out the Heidi Klum2 theme).

    FreeBSD also comes with KDE 3.4 and Gnome 2.10.

    The sysinstall utility does ok and the 'ports' install scripts work
    better than urpmi.

    I wouldn't try to install BSD without broadband because alot of things
    are not on the CDs.

    You also don't have all the 'drak' tools to help out on things. Heck,
    the ZAxisMapping brought back memories from the Mandrake 7 and DOS Doom
    days.

    Speed wasn't the only issue that drove me to BSD on this computer. With
    Mandriva really pushing the 'Club'issue (something like a M$
    subscription in disguise) I believe it's about time to move on to another
    distro/OS. I hope this isn't true, but when 2006 comes around, I'll be
    prepared in either case.

+ Reply to Thread