Where can I find info/a tutorial on developing an applet to run in the KDE
panel using Kdevelop? I have no prior Qt/KDE/C++ programming experience
but am competent in C and a few others including OO.

I tried starting a new project in KDevelop 'C++->KDE->Kicker Applet'. When
I tried to build the new project (no modifications but I saved the
template-generated source code) I got an error and investigating further
found that ./config was ending with this message:

checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!

What is causing this and what do I need to set to prevent it?