KDE 3.3.1: Preparing for DSL - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE 3.3.1: Preparing for DSL - KDE ; Hi; I am running the KDE 3.3.1 as part of a knoppix installation at home. I am planning on getting DSL within the next month. I have never had anything but dial-up at home, so I know nothing about DSL. ...

  1. KDE 3.3.1: Preparing for DSL

    Hi;

    I am running the KDE 3.3.1 as part of a knoppix installation at home.

    I am planning on getting DSL within the next month. I have never had
    anything but dial-up at home, so I know nothing about DSL.

    Knoppix is my desktop, hands down, so I was wondering what I would need
    to do to set up DSL on the KDE?

    Do I need to set up a firewall( if so, how? ). Does the KDE come with one?

    Will my computer be open to attack with dsl installed even if the
    computer is turned off?

    I know these are ignorant questions, but never having had DSL before and
    always being busy I never looked into it.

    Thanks in advance for any information and help!

    --

    Steve

    Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
    http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

    Steve's Home Page
    http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

    "The great American thought trap: It is not real
    unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
    shopping mall"

  2. Re: KDE 3.3.1: Preparing for DSL

    Steve wrote:

    > Hi;

    Hi Steve,

    > I am running the KDE 3.3.1 as part of a knoppix installation at home.
    >
    > I am planning on getting DSL within the next month. I have never had
    > anything but dial-up at home, so I know nothing about DSL.
    >
    > Knoppix is my desktop, hands down, so I was wondering what I would need
    > to do to set up DSL on the KDE?

    I've never used knoppix but, it's enough similart to debian and derivated
    so, start up a console, become root and type pppoeconf.
    This program will look for a dsl-connection (over ethernet) and if found you
    will prompted to questions.
    In a few seconds this will be over and you will surf the net :-)

    > Do I need to set up a firewall( if so, how? ). Does the KDE come with
    > one?

    as you wish :-) try out iptables or a graphical tool (firestarter is one of
    those)

    > Will my computer be open to attack with dsl installed even if the
    > computer is turned off?

    (?_?) no

    HTH, Alfredo
    Sorry for my bad english