Creating a login banner in KDE - KDE

This is a discussion on Creating a login banner in KDE - KDE ; Is there a way to create a login banner that a user has to achnowledge before the system boots into KDE? I have several machines I want to use as regular workstations, but the company rule is that a banner ...

  1. Creating a login banner in KDE

    Is there a way to create a login banner that a user has to achnowledge
    before the system boots into KDE?

    I have several machines I want to use as regular workstations, but the
    company rule is that a banner has to be display which the user
    acknowledges that the system may be monitored. My boss finally broke
    down and is allowing me to build several FreeBSD workstations if I can
    figure out how to do this. This would be a major breakthrough in our
    company if I can do this.

    Ideally, the banner will appear right before the login name and
    password...the user would have to achknowledge reading the banner before
    being allowed to login. Is this possible?

  2. Re: Creating a login banner in KDE

    Joe wrote:

    > Is there a way to create a login banner that a user has to achnowledge
    > before the system boots into KDE?
    >
    > I have several machines I want to use as regular workstations, but the
    > company rule is that a banner has to be display which the user
    > acknowledges that the system may be monitored. My boss finally broke
    > down and is allowing me to build several FreeBSD workstations if I can
    > figure out how to do this. This would be a major breakthrough in our
    > company if I can do this.
    >
    > Ideally, the banner will appear right before the login name and
    > password...the user would have to achknowledge reading the banner before
    > being allowed to login. Is this possible?

    Two suggestions, depending on how much text you need. For a single line, use
    `kcontrol` to configure the Greeting in the Login Manager to read what you
    want.

    I tested it with the line (it would be all one line):

    Welcome to %n -- By logging into this system you acknowage and consent to
    your activity on this system being monitored

    With the Greeting font set to Sans 10

    and it worked great. The %n shows the host name.

    If you need more room, you could creat a image file something like logo.png
    (can be created in the Gimp) with the verbage you need and use it as the
    logo on the Login Manager. This would let you write a full paragraph.

    If you make it so the login is the acknolagement then you don't need another
    button to click.

  3. Re: Creating a login banner in KDE

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:c099b$42915f77$428618b2$5011@msgid.meganewsse rvers.com...
    > Is there a way to create a login banner that a user has to achnowledge
    > before the system boots into KDE?
    >
    > I have several machines I want to use as regular workstations, but the
    > company rule is that a banner has to be display which the user
    > acknowledges that the system may be monitored. My boss finally broke
    > down and is allowing me to build several FreeBSD workstations if I can
    > figure out how to do this. This would be a major breakthrough in our
    > company if I can do this.
    >
    > Ideally, the banner will appear right before the login name and
    > password...the user would have to achknowledge reading the banner before
    > being allowed to login. Is this possible?

    As we're taking about KDE my guess is that you are using kdm. kdm works in
    a manner very similar to xdm. Look at the man pages for xdm paying
    particular attention to the use of the Xsetup file, you may be able to do
    something with this.

    --
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread