KDE iconified apps as desktop icons - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE iconified apps as desktop icons - KDE ; How do I get rid of the taskbar in kicker and make iconified applications goto icons on the desktop (or maybe an icon-box)? I don't want file icons or icons that start applications, or a TrashCan on the desktop... just ...

  1. KDE iconified apps as desktop icons

    How do I get rid of the taskbar in kicker and make iconified
    applications goto icons on the desktop (or maybe an icon-box)?

    I don't want file icons or icons that start applications, or a TrashCan
    on the desktop... just my iconified applications.

  2. Re: KDE iconified apps as desktop icons

    Mike wrote:

    > How do I get rid of the taskbar in kicker and make iconified
    > applications goto icons on the desktop (or maybe an icon-box)?
    >
    > I don't want file icons or icons that start applications, or a TrashCan
    > on the desktop... just my iconified applications.

    Maybe the Kasbar will suit you. It's one of the supplementary panels. You
    can add it from the kicker menu.
    To get rid of components, open it's menu (you can find a small pointer like
    button at the left of it) and choose "Remove ".

    Kind regards

    --
    Bram Schoenmakers
    KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

  3. Re: KDE iconified apps as desktop icons -- is impossible?

    I did find Kasbar better than the KDE taksbar, but still not ideal.

    I tend to open xterms to 20 servers, have them come up iconified, and
    placed in specific places on the desktop... so I know where they are and
    it's very quick to get where I want to be. Ssh to one server then the
    next is not very nice, and getting a list of xterms from the taskbar in
    a random order is not cool. Maybe sorting would help.

    But I guess my real problem is that KDE documentation isn't all I would
    want... I'm tired of typing man widget only to be told there is no man page.

    Ok, so now I'm ranting.

    RTFM! Ya. I'd like to. Or use the source... quite the thrill (not).

    I'm told KDE is configurable and good, but then I can't figure out
    things I have taken for granted till now. First time in about 15 years
    of using X that I can't iconify to the desktop. And this is not better.

    Help? Or just ignore me and I'll go away...

    Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >

    >>How do I get rid of the taskbar in kicker and make iconified
    >>applications goto icons on the desktop (or maybe an icon-box)?
    >>
    >>I don't want file icons or icons that start applications, or a TrashCan
    >>on the desktop... just my iconified applications.

    > Maybe the Kasbar will suit you. It's one of the supplementary panels. You
    > can add it from the kicker menu.
    > To get rid of components, open it's menu (you can find a small pointer like
    > button at the left of it) and choose "Remove ".
    >
    > Kind regards

  4. Re: KDE iconified apps as desktop icons -- is impossible?

    Mike wrote:

    > Help? Or just ignore me and I'll go away...

    There is nothing stopping you from telling kde to use the same window
    manager you have always used or any other that iconifies to icons rather
    than a taskbar. The kde environment can use window-maker or twm or anything
    you like. Read the startkde script it should have comments telling you how.
    Unless it has been heavily modified by your distro it allow you to set a
    variable telling it to overide the default kde wm with your choice or you
    can add it as an argument in the script. (look near the end) and then have
    fun with enlightenment and its icon boxes or window maker or whatever.

    andrew

+ Reply to Thread