Mouse won't scroll anymore - KDE

This is a discussion on Mouse won't scroll anymore - KDE ; Using KDE 3.3.2 under Slackware 10.1. The mouse used to scroll with the scroll button just fine. As of today, it doesn't. No scroll in Konsole windows, Opera, Thunderbird or anything else. Checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it looks fine and is ...

  1. Mouse won't scroll anymore

    Using KDE 3.3.2 under Slackware 10.1.

    The mouse used to scroll with the scroll button just fine.
    As of today, it doesn't.

    No scroll in Konsole windows, Opera, Thunderbird or anything else.

    Checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it looks fine and is dated over 3
    months ago.

    Control center looks ok. Changed scroll from 12 to 10 and
    Applied/logout/restart but no change.

    The mouse is a usb Logitech scroll mouse and I've used many of these
    with never an issue.

    What could be wrong?

  2. Re: Mouse won't scroll anymore

    Larry Alkoff wrote:

    > Using KDE 3.3.2 under Slackware 10.1.
    >
    > The mouse used to scroll with the scroll button just fine.
    > As of today, it doesn't.

    I am going to pinch the obvious: have you tested the mouse on a different
    computer or a different partition? I used to spend hours testing at
    software level something that was simply broken.

    > No scroll in Konsole windows, Opera, Thunderbird or anything else.

    It sometimes takes several seconds until my mousewheel begins to be
    recognised by KDE. There is definitely something odd about it. Have you
    tried just the middle button (assuming it's a button-wheel combo)?

    > Checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it looks fine and is dated over 3
    > months ago.
    >
    > Control center looks ok. Changed scroll from 12 to 10 and
    > Applied/logout/restart but no change.
    >
    > The mouse is a usb Logitech scroll mouse and I've used many of these
    > with never an issue.
    >
    > What could be wrong?

    I sometimes stick some 'foreign' X configuration scripts to see if
    everything is sane. It might be helpful here. Search the Web for something
    that resembles your InputDevice section and import it. I have used this
    strategy when configuring monitors.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  3. Re: Mouse won't scroll anymore

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 06:22:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >Larry Alkoff wrote:
    >
    >> Using KDE 3.3.2 under Slackware 10.1.
    >>
    >> The mouse used to scroll with the scroll button just fine.
    >> As of today, it doesn't.

    >I am going to pinch the obvious: have you tested the mouse on a different
    >computer or a different partition? I used to spend hours testing at
    >software level something that was simply broken.

    Big OOPS. I'm a little embarassed here.
    About 15 minutes after I posted the original, I sent in a cancellation
    to the message - maybe it didn't "take".

    Shortly after posting the problem went away.
    I found out that other computers on the Belkin KVM switch I use
    scrolled perfectly well., which eliminated the mouse.
    Then I switched back to the original computer and scrolling had
    returned.

    The problem was really in my mind. I know that both Thunderbird and
    KDE sometimes "lose" settings. Although I first noticed the problem
    with Thunderbird, after checking with other programs I ASSumed that
    KDE had lost some critical settings. Visions of re-installing KDE.

    I _should_ have checked the obvious - KVM switch glitch.

    I apologize for crying wolf.

    >> No scroll in Konsole windows, Opera, Thunderbird or anything else.

    >It sometimes takes several seconds until my mousewheel begins to be
    >recognised by KDE. There is definitely something odd about it. Have you
    >tried just the middle button (assuming it's a button-wheel combo)?
    >
    >> Checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it looks fine and is dated over 3
    >> months ago.
    >>
    >> Control center looks ok. Changed scroll from 12 to 10 and
    >> Applied/logout/restart but no change.
    >>
    >> The mouse is a usb Logitech scroll mouse and I've used many of these
    >> with never an issue.
    >>
    >> What could be wrong?

    >I sometimes stick some 'foreign' X configuration scripts to see if
    >everything is sane. It might be helpful here. Search the Web for something
    >that resembles your InputDevice section and import it. I have used this
    >strategy when configuring monitors.

    That's an excellent idea.
    In my case I have all my older XF86 script which would work with minor
    changed on Xorg.

    Thanks very much for your helpful response.

    >Roy

  4. Re: Mouse won't scroll anymore

    Larry Alkoff wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 06:22:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Larry Alkoff wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using KDE 3.3.2 under Slackware 10.1.
    >>>
    >>> The mouse used to scroll with the scroll button just fine.
    >>> As of today, it doesn't.

    >>I am going to pinch the obvious: have you tested the mouse on a different
    >>computer or a different partition? I used to spend hours testing at
    >>software level something that was simply broken.

    > Big OOPS. I'm a little embarassed here.
    > About 15 minutes after I posted the original, I sent in a cancellation
    > to the message - maybe it didn't "take".

    I started an extensive discussion about cancel and supersede in uk.net about
    a week ago. Have a look as it will teach you never to use them again. The
    bottom line was that, as I had suspected, they result in clutter and often
    get ignored.

    > Shortly after posting the problem went away.
    > I found out that other computers on the Belkin KVM switch I use
    > scrolled perfectly well., which eliminated the mouse.
    > Then I switched back to the original computer and scrolling had
    > returned.
    >
    > The problem was really in my mind. I know that both Thunderbird and
    > KDE sometimes "lose" settings. Although I first noticed the problem
    > with Thunderbird, after checking with other programs I ASSumed that
    > KDE had lost some critical settings. Visions of re-installing KDE.

    I am glad to hear about one more problem begone, especially if it concerns
    compatibility in KDE.

    > I _should_ have checked the obvious - KVM switch glitch.
    >
    > I apologize for crying wolf.

    I too have been guilty at least once in the past for premature posting.

    >>> No scroll in Konsole windows, Opera, Thunderbird or anything else.

    >>It sometimes takes several seconds until my mousewheel begins to be
    >>recognised by KDE. There is definitely something odd about it. Have you
    >>tried just the middle button (assuming it's a button-wheel combo)?
    >>
    >>> Checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it looks fine and is dated over 3
    >>> months ago.
    >>>
    >>> Control center looks ok. Changed scroll from 12 to 10 and
    >>> Applied/logout/restart but no change.
    >>>
    >>> The mouse is a usb Logitech scroll mouse and I've used many of these
    >>> with never an issue.
    >>>
    >>> What could be wrong?

    >>I sometimes stick some 'foreign' X configuration scripts to see if
    >>everything is sane. It might be helpful here. Search the Web for something
    >>that resembles your InputDevice section and import it. I have used this
    >>strategy when configuring monitors.

    > That's an excellent idea.
    > In my case I have all my older XF86 script which would work with minor
    > changed on Xorg.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your helpful response.

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

+ Reply to Thread