KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery - KDE

This is a discussion on KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery - KDE ; I have been looking at many widegets in KMail 1.5.1, but I can't seem to find a way of dispatching a message (in drafts) at a specific time and date. Is this at all possible? I really need this functionality ...

  1. KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery

    I have been looking at many widegets in KMail 1.5.1, but I can't seem to
    find a way of dispatching a message (in drafts) at a specific time and
    date. Is this at all possible? I really need this functionality and I hope
    it exists, not as a wishlist item.

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  2. Re: KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I have been looking at many widegets in KMail 1.5.1, but I can't seem to
    > find a way of dispatching a message (in drafts) at a specific time and
    > date. Is this at all possible? I really need this functionality and I hope
    > it exists, not as a wishlist item.

    I don't think you can do that with Kmail itself. But you can do it with
    Kalarm, which is available at:

    http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9966

  3. Re: KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery

    Roy Schestowitz wrote :

    > Is this at all possible?

    I don't think its possible in KMail.

    > I really need this functionality and I hope it exists, not as a
    > wishlist item.

    Then take a look at the "Personal Alarm Scheduler" (kalarm), it has the
    functionality you need. You'll find it in the "Utilities"|"More
    Applications" menu.
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery

    Jim wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I have been looking at many widegets in KMail 1.5.1, but I can't seem to
    >> find a way of dispatching a message (in drafts) at a specific time and
    >> date. Is this at all possible? I really need this functionality and I
    >> hope it exists, not as a wishlist item.

    > I don't think you can do that with Kmail itself. But you can do it with
    > Kalarm, which is available at:
    >
    > http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9966

    Jim, Thomas,

    Thanks for the advice. I have never used KAlarm before, but I have just
    given it a spin and I am sure to use it in the future.

    I use SuSE 8.2 with KDE 3.1 so it's rather outdated and KAlarm caters for
    simple commands primarily. I don't know if future releases are more
    sophisticated. Anyway, I have looked up KMail's command-line arguments:

    ===

    Generic options:
    --help Show help about options
    --help-qt Show Qt specific options
    --help-kde Show KDE specific options
    --help-all Show all options
    --author Show author information
    -v, --version Show version information
    --license Show license information
    -- End of options

    -s, --subject Set subject of message.
    -c, --cc
    Send CC: to 'address'.
    -b, --bcc
    Send BCC: to 'address'.
    -h, --header
    Add 'header' to message.
    --msg Read message body from 'file'.
    --body Set body of message.
    --attach Add an attachment to the mail. This can be
    repeated.
    --check Only check for new mail.
    --composer Only open composer window.

    Arguments:
    address Send message to 'address'.

    ===

    I can't see a helpful command-line argument. What's more, KMail is open 24/7
    and I think this will reduce the flexibility further.

    I will keep on trying...

    Thanks again,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  5. Re: KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery

    Roy Schestowitz wrote :

    > I use SuSE 8.2 with KDE 3.1 so it's rather outdated and KAlarm caters for
    > simple commands primarily. I don't know if future releases are more
    > sophisticated.

    I don't know when this option came to KAlarm, but take a look at this
    screen-shot of the alarm editor here:

    As you can see there's four possible actions in a row, "Text", "File",
    "Command" and "Email". If you choose the "Email" option you can write an
    email and set the time it should be send, and KAlarm uses KMail for this
    so you don't have to setup KAlarm in any way.

    BTW. KDE 3.4 is available as *.rpm's for SuSE 8.2.
    --
    Thomas O.

  6. Re: KMail: Schedule (Program) Mail Delivery

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote :
    >
    >> I use SuSE 8.2 with KDE 3.1 so it's rather outdated and KAlarm caters for
    >> simple commands primarily. I don't know if future releases are more
    >> sophisticated.

    > I don't know when this option came to KAlarm, but take a look at this
    > screen-shot of the alarm editor here:

    Gosh. Mine looks so primitive in comparison.

    > As you can see there's four possible actions in a row, "Text", "File",
    > "Command" and "Email". If you choose the "Email" option you can write an
    > email and set the time it should be send, and KAlarm uses KMail for this
    > so you don't have to setup KAlarm in any way.
    >
    > BTW. KDE 3.4 is available as *.rpm's for SuSE 8.2.

    Really?!?! I did not know this, but I am a little afraid to try it. I don't
    have enough space to spare for back-ups. I am worried about all sorts of
    other things: marked threads, importing messages, associations, etc., just
    in case they need some manual fixing/intervention.

    I dread the very thought of setting up another machine one day. It is very
    time-consuming. That's why I always SSH to this machine and keep things
    centralised. Web-based solutions seemed appealing, but my host keeps
    upgrading so I sometimes lose settings, e.g. with Horde: filters,
    look-and-feel, shortcuts, keys.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz