Which KDE get to use sound? - KDE

This is a discussion on Which KDE get to use sound? - KDE ; I am running several X servers with KDE, all on the same monitor. How do I know (and control) which one gets to use the sound output? Apparently only one at a time can make sound, but sometimes none of ...

  1. Which KDE get to use sound?

    I am running several X servers with KDE, all on the same monitor. How
    do I know (and control)
    which one gets to use the sound output? Apparently only one at a time
    can make sound, but
    sometimes none of them can and usually the one I need can not.

  2. Re: Which KDE get to use sound?

    Hi,

    hans_schulze98@yahoo.de schrieb:
    > I am running several X servers with KDE, all on the same monitor. How
    > do I know (and control)
    > which one gets to use the sound output? Apparently only one at a time
    > can make sound, but
    > sometimes none of them can and usually the one I need can not.

    The sound output should be on the system the KDE
    sound system is being executed. This is independent
    of the X servers. So the question would be:
    Do you use multiple instances of the KDE or are
    you just exporting apps to multiple displays?
    Are the displays owned by the same user?

    RU,
    Andreas

  3. Re: Which KDE get to use sound?

    Andreas Schallenberg wrote:

    > The sound output should be on the system the KDE
    > sound system is being executed. This is independent
    > of the X servers. So the question would be:
    > Do you use multiple instances of the KDE or are
    > you just exporting apps to multiple displays?
    > Are the displays owned by the same user?

    All displays run their own X and their own KDE session. Each is owned
    by a different user.

  4. Re: Which KDE get to use sound?

    hans_schulze98@yahoo.de wrote:

    > All displays run their own X and their own KDE session. Each is owned
    > by a different user.

    So if you have multiple users then I'd expect multiple
    KDE sound systems running in parallel.

    Since I never tested this I can only tell
    you what I expect:
    The sound systems are based on sound demons
    (OSSS, ALSA, maybe rplay, ...) and give their
    requests to them. So if that subsystem supports
    multiple "clients" all should have sound output
    access and the demon should mix the output.
    But this is just a guess since I never tested
    such setups.

    RU,
    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread