kde network traffic display - KDE

This is a discussion on kde network traffic display - KDE ; Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the ethernet connection in the kde panel? I've seen gkrellm but it is ugly, does not dock, and does not do a good job displaying the network anyway....

  1. kde network traffic display

    Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the
    ethernet
    connection in the kde panel?
    I've seen gkrellm but it is ugly, does not dock, and does not do a good
    job
    displaying the network anyway.

  2. Re: kde network traffic display

    On 28 Mar 2005 11:33:37 -0800, hans_schulze98@yahoo.de
    said:
    > Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the
    > ethernet connection in the kde panel?

    Ksim creates its own little panel, but does have a net monitoring
    feature. Right click on the Panel -> Add to panel -> Panel -> Ksim.

    > I've seen gkrellm but it is ugly,

    I find its default skin very attactive, though many of the skins people
    have created for it are extraordinarily unlovely.

    > does not dock,

    Well, it's not a dockapp.

    > and does not do a good job displaying the network anyway.

    I find it's net monitoring capabilities excellent.

    Chris Menzel

  3. Re: kde network traffic display

    Chris Menzel has offered us the following clue :

    > On 28 Mar 2005 11:33:37 -0800, hans_schulze98@yahoo.de
    > said:
    >> Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the
    >> ethernet connection in the kde panel?

    > Ksim creates its own little panel, but does have a net monitoring
    > feature. Right click on the Panel -> Add to panel -> Panel -> Ksim.
    >
    >> I've seen gkrellm but it is ugly,

    > I find its default skin very attactive, though many of the skins people
    > have created for it are extraordinarily unlovely.
    >
    >> does not dock,

    > Well, it's not a dockapp.
    >
    >> and does not do a good job displaying the network anyway.

    > I find it's net monitoring capabilities excellent.
    >
    > Chris Menzel

    knode works well

  4. Re: kde network traffic display

    Albert wrote:

    > knode works well

    On my machine, knode is a news poster, not a network traffic displayer.

  5. Re: kde network traffic display

    Chris Menzel wrote:
    > On 28 Mar 2005 11:33:37 -0800, hans_schulze98@yahoo.de
    > said:
    > > Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the
    > > ethernet connection in the kde panel?

    > Ksim creates its own little panel, but does have a net monitoring
    > feature. Right click on the Panel -> Add to panel -> Panel -> Ksim.

    I see two blinking lights, okay; is there something with less flicker?
    Eg a slowly scrolling graph. Like the gkrellm CPU display.

    [gkrellm]
    > I find it's net monitoring capabilities excellent.

    Didn't mean to trash your favorite app. It is good-looking after I got
    rid of all I didn't need (most of it). But no proper display of network
    activity possible.

  6. Re: kde network traffic display

    On 28 Mar 2005 16:40:24 -0800, hans_schulze98@yahoo.de
    said:
    > Chris Menzel wrote:
    >> On 28 Mar 2005 11:33:37 -0800, hans_schulze98@yahoo.de
    >> said:
    >> > Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the
    >> > ethernet connection in the kde panel?

    >> Ksim creates its own little panel, but does have a net monitoring
    >> feature. Right click on the Panel -> Add to panel -> Panel -> Ksim.

    > I see two blinking lights, okay; is there something with less flicker?
    > Eg a slowly scrolling graph. Like the gkrellm CPU display.

    You might try configuring a separate panel to swallow one of several
    nice WindowMaker dockapps. Google around to see how it's done.

    > [gkrellm]
    >> I find it's net monitoring capabilities excellent.

    > Didn't mean to trash your favorite app.

    De gustibus non disputandum est, dude. No offense taken.

    > It is good-looking after I got rid of all I didn't need (most of it).
    > But no proper display of network activity possible.

    What exactly are you looking for? With gkrellm I get both blinky lights
    and a continuously scrolling bar graph representing incoming and
    outgoing packets (tx on the top of the display, rx on bottom), as well
    as a constantly updated numerical reading of the Kbyte/sec coming in.
    What else do you want?

    Chris Menzel

  7. Re: kde network traffic display

    hans_schulze98@yahoo.de has offered us the following clue :

    > Albert wrote:
    >
    >> knode works well

    > On my machine, knode is a news poster, not a network traffic displayer.

    Sorry, my mistake, I mean Knemo.
    It displays basic info on the ethernet connection, such as :

    -Tab 1 : uptime, general info
    -Tab 2 : IP address, mask, gateway, MAC
    -Tab 3 : Trafic in both directions

    Works well, never seen any strange things.

  8. Re: kde network traffic display

    hans_schulze98@yahoo.de wrote:

    > Is there something like kisdndock which displays traffic over the
    > ethernet
    > connection in the kde panel?
    > I've seen gkrellm but it is ugly, does not dock, and does not do a good
    > job
    > displaying the network anyway.

    If you want to do it the hard way, you can also modify the KSysGuard applet
    for the kicker.

    See http://home.hccnet.nl/bram_s/kde/designer.png. At the right I have my
    modified applet, with an eth0 entry.

    Kind regards,

    --
    Bram Schoenmakers
    KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

    (Yes, I know, the screenshot is a mess, that's why I made a picture of it.)

  9. Re: kde network traffic display

    Bram Schoenmakers wrote:

    > If you want to do it the hard way, you can also modify the KSysGuard

    applet
    > for the kicker.
    >
    > See http://home.hccnet.nl/bram_s/kde/designer.png. At the right I

    have my
    > modified applet, with an eth0 entry.

    Nice. How? I see the buttons to delete sensors but not to add.

  10. Re: kde network traffic display

    Ah, great. Knemo seems to dock. Not part of my distro, but I'll
    download and try.

  11. Re: kde network traffic display

    hans_schulze98@yahoo.de wrote:

    > Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to do it the hard way, you can also modify the KSysGuard

    > applet
    >> for the kicker.
    >>
    >> See http://home.hccnet.nl/bram_s/kde/designer.png. At the right I

    > have my
    >> modified applet, with an eth0 entry.

    > Nice. How?

    Put the file at http://home.hccnet.nl/bram_s/kde/KSysGuardApplet.xml into
    ~/.kde/share/apps/ksysguard

    Re-add the KSysguard applet, et voila...

    --
    Bram Schoenmakers
    KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

+ Reply to Thread