Hello,

I have recently felt the need for a specific application under KDE and
decided to install it on one of our machines at work.

I can't access this NG from work so I'll try to be as precise as I can
but I might forget something.

OK, here is my problem.
I needed to install the new version of QT, but I still needed to
preserve the one installed on our network (/usr/local is actually a
symbolic link to a directory where all our machines access). For that I
created a new "/usr/local.org" (this one being physically on my
machine) and compiled QT 3.3.4 in /usr/local.org/qtXXXXXX and added a
symbolic "qt" in the same directory for the convienience.

I changed all my $QTDIR and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so.I was able to
compile the examples and play with it.

Then, I used apt-get to install kdelibs, and kde. The installation is a
success, I restart my X-org, and can start KDE 3.4 (great !!). However,
when I try to compile a simple program (such as Kbiff), the configure
file tells me that I have a problem with UIC.

I've looked on the net for a solution and found many references
(sometimes several year old) and they said that the kdelibs needed to
be recompile with the new QT installation.

So I check the libraries of KDE and in fact the path used for the QT
directory is still the one on the network (/usr/local/XXX/qt). Bingo !

I tried to reinstall kdelibs after I installed QT 3.3.4, and still no
changes...)

Is there a way of specifying the QT directory with the command line?

For instance, something like this:
apt-get install kdelibs --with-qt-dir=/usr/local.org/qt

If no, then I suppose that I just need to recompile the sources. But
then, if I do that, is there a way to have apt-get to be aware of my
installing all the packages and automatically looking for updates for
them each time I "apt-get update" my machine??

Having apt-get to search for updates for me is something quite secured
and I'd like to keep that.

(For information, I am using Vine 3.1, which is a Japanese
distribution, with a kernel around 2.4 IIRC)

Any help will be greatly appreaciated,

Jay