crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts - KDE

This is a discussion on crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts - KDE ; I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet. But I'm sick of my applications crashing all the time. kicker and kopete both crash every time I log out. k3b crashes every time I drag several ...

  1. crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet. But I'm
    sick of my applications crashing all the time.

    kicker and kopete both crash every time I log out.

    k3b crashes every time I drag several files into a project list.

    juk crashes every time I select a certain playlist. I made the playlist,
    and later changed some of the file names.

    knode crashes randomly, about once a day.

    Is this just me? Or are other people suffering from this too? It almost
    makes me want to go back to 3.3, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.

    In case it matters, I'm using the Debian experimental packages.

    --
    To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

  2. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    In article ,
    Andrew Schulman wrote:

    > I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet. But I'm
    > sick of my applications crashing all the time.

    I'd like to start by saying I don't know what your problem is. I'me not
    using KDE 3.4 yet.

    [snip]
    > In case it matters, I'm using the Debian experimental packages.

    I would say that that might be your problem. Debian's experimental
    packages have had very little to no testing. When they hit Sid they
    might be usable.

    --
    Andy.

  3. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    Andy Fraser wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Andrew Schulman wrote:
    >
    >> I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet. But I'm
    >> sick of my applications crashing all the time.

    > I'd like to start by saying I don't know what your problem is. I'me not
    > using KDE 3.4 yet.
    >
    > [snip]
    >> In case it matters, I'm using the Debian experimental packages.

    > I would say that that might be your problem. Debian's experimental
    > packages have had very little to no testing. When they hit Sid they
    > might be usable.

    I am seeing the same kinds of crashes on FreeBSD and KDE3.4. It does not
    seem to be nearly as stable as 3.3.

  4. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:23:21 -0600, joe said:
    > I am seeing the same kinds of crashes on FreeBSD and KDE3.4. It does
    > not seem to be nearly as stable as 3.3.

    I'm seeing no crashes at all under either Gentoo (2.6.10-gentoo-r6
    kernel) or FreeBSD (5.3-RELEASE-p4). In the latter case, I upgraded KDE
    as part of a general portupgrade, following the instructions in
    /usr/ports/UPDATING.

  5. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    Chris Menzel wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:23:21 -0600, joe said:
    >> I am seeing the same kinds of crashes on FreeBSD and KDE3.4. It does
    >> not seem to be nearly as stable as 3.3.

    > I'm seeing no crashes at all under either Gentoo (2.6.10-gentoo-r6
    > kernel) or FreeBSD (5.3-RELEASE-p4). In the latter case, I upgraded KDE
    > as part of a general portupgrade, following the instructions in
    > /usr/ports/UPDATING.

    obviously on i386 machine;
    the amd64 seems to have been broken on a time.h probably by the sparc64 people

    On KDE I've had major problems with the last 3.3 -- half a minute to minutes
    before dialogue menus render

  6. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    Andrew Schulman wrote:

    > I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet. But I'm
    > sick of my applications crashing all the time.
    >
    > kicker and kopete both crash every time I log out.
    >
    > k3b crashes every time I drag several files into a project list.
    >
    > juk crashes every time I select a certain playlist. I made the playlist,
    > and later changed some of the file names.
    >
    > knode crashes randomly, about once a day.
    >
    > Is this just me? Or are other people suffering from this too? It almost
    > makes me want to go back to 3.3, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.
    >
    > In case it matters, I'm using the Debian experimental packages.

    Which release of KDE 3.4 are you using? The stable version came out only
    over a week ago. Some were tempted to install it beforehand and if you use
    Debian experimental packages on top of that (strictly speaking, at the
    bottom of that), expect trouble. I use KDE 3.1 under SuSE and it's very
    stable. A few bugs, but no crashes.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

  7. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    >> I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet. But I'm
    >> sick of my applications crashing all the time.
    >>
    >> kicker and kopete both crash every time I log out.
    >>
    >> k3b crashes every time I drag several files into a project list.
    >>
    >> juk crashes every time I select a certain playlist. I made the playlist,
    >> and later changed some of the file names.
    >>
    >> knode crashes randomly, about once a day.
    >>
    >> Is this just me? Or are other people suffering from this too? It almost
    >> makes me want to go back to 3.3, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.
    >>
    >> In case it matters, I'm using the Debian experimental packages.

    > Which release of KDE 3.4 are you using? The stable version came out only
    > over a week ago. Some were tempted to install it beforehand and if you use
    > Debian experimental packages on top of that (strictly speaking, at the
    > bottom of that), expect trouble. I use KDE 3.1 under SuSE and it's very
    > stable. A few bugs, but no crashes.

    The versions are numbered 3.4.0-0pre2, from pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org. This
    is the official KDE 3.4. The "0pre2" refers, I'm told, to packaging
    versions, and not KDE source versions.

    Still I guess I'd better go complain over on debian-user-kde. I'm not
    hearing that many people are having as much trouble as I am.

    --
    To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

  8. Re: crashes in 3.4 are driving me nuts

    Andrew Schulman wrote:

    > In case it matters, I'm using the Debian experimental packages.

    It could matter. (Probably does :-)

    Experimental software is just that. It's released to the general
    public to test and debug so the final version can be as stable as
    possible. Experimental and other beta versions of Linux should
    never be used for daily use. Read the first lines in this link:

    http://packages.debian.org/experimental/

    There might be an incompatibility between KDE 3.4 and the test
    version you're using. You might have found a bug.

    There should be a Debian developer's forum or mailing list
    somewhere. You should check there to see if crashing KDE 3.4
    is a known issue with your testing release of Debian. If not,
    post a bug report. The developers will look into it.

+ Reply to Thread