knode - the floating windows disease - KDE

This is a discussion on knode - the floating windows disease - KDE ; I caught the floating windows disease yesterday - when the header and article windows become detached from the main window. This happens to me for no reason that I can see perhaps once or twice a year. As far as ...

  1. knode - the floating windows disease

    I caught the floating windows disease yesterday -
    when the header and article windows become detached from the main window.
    This happens to me for no reason that I can see
    perhaps once or twice a year.

    As far as I could see, the secret of the solution in my case
    was to make all 3 windows small and non-overlapping.
    Then I was able to drag-and-drop the header window into the main window,
    and finally clicking on the "dock" icon in the article window
    brought that into its correct place.

    There are a few things about this which puzzle and annoy me.

    (1) Surely knode should have a _simple_ way of returning
    to the default state,
    which I assume is how 99% of knode users have it 99% of the time.

    (2) This problem should be mentioned in the knode FAQ
    (which is also part of the knode manual).

    (3) I was puzzled that I could not find in which file
    the settings were written.
    I had assumed it was my .kde/share/configs/knoderc ,
    but replacing that had no effect.
    I even ran strace but this did not show any relevant file.

    I wonder if I am alone in wishing the KDE people
    would write down somewhere exactly which files are used
    by the KDE system.
    I know this may differ according to the distribution -
    I am running Fedora-3 -
    but even so some indication would help.

    After all, giving information of this kind is one difference
    between Linux and Windows.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: knode - the floating windows disease

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > I caught the floating windows disease yesterday -
    > when the header and article windows become detached from the main window.
    > This happens to me for no reason that I can see
    > perhaps once or twice a year.
    >
    > As far as I could see, the secret of the solution in my case
    > was to make all 3 windows small and non-overlapping.
    > Then I was able to drag-and-drop the header window into the main window,
    > and finally clicking on the "dock" icon in the article window
    > brought that into its correct place.
    >
    > There are a few things about this which puzzle and annoy me.
    >
    > (1) Surely knode should have a _simple_ way of returning
    > to the default state,
    > which I assume is how 99% of knode users have it 99% of the time.
    >
    > (2) This problem should be mentioned in the knode FAQ
    > (which is also part of the knode manual).
    >
    > (3) I was puzzled that I could not find in which file
    > the settings were written.
    > I had assumed it was my .kde/share/configs/knoderc ,
    > but replacing that had no effect.
    > I even ran strace but this did not show any relevant file.
    >
    > I wonder if I am alone in wishing the KDE people
    > would write down somewhere exactly which files are used
    > by the KDE system.
    > I know this may differ according to the distribution -
    > I am running Fedora-3 -
    > but even so some indication would help.
    >
    > After all, giving information of this kind is one difference
    > between Linux and Windows.

    See the post from 16th of this month titled "Knode - 'fragmented views'. I
    hope your news servers goes this far back. If not, use on-line archives. In
    short, there is a known bug which KDE wrote about. There are odd
    work-around solutions.

    Also see the following thread:

    http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/20.../msg00209.html

    I had similar problem in January. Every time somebody brings it up, people
    in this NG play about and get 'infected'.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  3. Re: knode - the floating windows disease

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Also see the following thread:
    >
    > http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/20.../msg00209.html
    >
    > I had similar problem in January. Every time somebody brings it up, people
    > in this NG play about and get 'infected'.

    I had actually looked at the above URL and the resulting thread.
    Unfortunately the advice given there did not work for me.

    I was not able to close the group view for a start -
    when I went to Settings and clicked on Close Group View
    nothing happened.

    As I said, the secret in my case seemed to be
    to make all three window/views small and non-overlapping,
    and then I was able to drag-and-drop the header view
    into the main window.

    This really is an appallingly bad feature of KNode -
    it has obviously cost many people hours of wasted time -
    and it is incomprehensible to me that there is no Setting
    to return the view to standard form -
    which as I said is what 99% of users want 99% of the time.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: knode - the floating windows disease

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:39:54 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > I caught the floating windows disease yesterday -
    > when the header and article windows become detached from the main window.
    > This happens to me for no reason that I can see
    > perhaps once or twice a year.

    Solution 1: forget Knode and switch to Pan (much better and faster).
    Solution 2: get out of knode, find your knoderc file, delete it, reboot
    knode. You should be back to normal.

    Larry Gagnon

  5. Re: knode - the floating windows disease

    Larry Gagnon wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:39:54 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >
    >> I caught the floating windows disease yesterday -
    >> when the header and article windows become detached from the main window.
    >> This happens to me for no reason that I can see
    >> perhaps once or twice a year.

    > Solution 1: forget Knode and switch to Pan (much better and faster).
    > Solution 2: get out of knode, find your knoderc file, delete it, reboot
    > knode. You should be back to normal.
    >
    > Larry Gagnon

    Wouldn't that cause a loss of other settings too? That's the radical way
    which can do more damage than good, especially if you learn nothing about
    the rc file/s in advance.

    Tim,

    Have a look at (KDE 3.1; SuSE):

    ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/knodeui.rc

    See if you can find the relevant sections in the file and tweak them. Make a
    backup first.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  6. Re: knode - the floating windows disease

    Larry Gagnon wrote:

    >> I caught the floating windows disease yesterday -
    >> when the header and article windows become detached from the main window.
    >> This happens to me for no reason that I can see
    >> perhaps once or twice a year.

    > Solution 1: forget Knode and switch to Pan (much better and faster).
    > Solution 2: get out of knode, find your knoderc file, delete it, reboot

    I tried that, and it had no effect.
    I don't know where the relevant information is stored.