start button - KDE

This is a discussion on start button - KDE ; I hate asking stupid questions... I have looked high and low for the answer to this question, and although I've found several answers, none of them work for me. I am running Mandrake 10, KDE 3.2. I would like to ...

  1. start button

    I hate asking stupid questions... I have looked high and low for the
    answer to this question, and although I've found several answers, none of
    them work for me. I am running Mandrake 10, KDE 3.2. I would like to change
    my start button icon from the Star to something else. None of the
    techniques that I've read about are doing it. How does one change the icon?
    --
    cya,
    Alan

  2. Re: start button

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:27:43 GMT, Alan Van Art said:
    > I hate asking stupid questions... I have looked high and low for the
    > answer to this question, and although I've found several answers, none of
    > them work for me. I am running Mandrake 10, KDE 3.2. I would like to change
    > my start button icon from the Star to something else. None of the
    > techniques that I've read about are doing it. How does one change the icon?

    I *think* the only way to change this is by installing a different theme
    or icon set: K -> Control Center -> Appearance & Themes -> Icons (or
    Theme Manager). You might need to install alternative icon sets or
    themes via separate RPMs; go to http://kdelook.org and poke around for
    icons and themes and installation instructions.

    Chris Menzel

  3. Re: start button

    Chris Menzel wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:27:43 GMT, Alan Van Art said:
    >> I hate asking stupid questions... I have looked high and low for
    >> the answer to this question, and although I've found several answers,
    >> none of them work for me. I am running Mandrake 10, KDE 3.2. I would like
    >> to change my start button icon from the Star to something else. None of
    >> the techniques that I've read about are doing it. How does one change the
    >> icon?

    > I *think* the only way to change this is by installing a different theme
    > or icon set: K -> Control Center -> Appearance & Themes -> Icons (or
    > Theme Manager). You might need to install alternative icon sets or
    > themes via separate RPMs; go to http://kdelook.org and poke around for
    > icons and themes and installation instructions.
    >
    > Chris Menzel

    I found the answer to my question over in the Mandrake group... here's the
    key:

    /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png

    of course the crystalsvg/32x32 may be different depending on your settings.

    My next questions are:

    Why is this different across distributions?

    Where is the setting to tell KDE what icon to choose?

    Obviously the Mandrake people changed that setting from the standard so that
    no matter what icon theme you chose, you would be stuck with the ugly star
    icon. Now when I change icon themes I'll have to change the 'start button'
    manually, unless I can put that setting back to what the KDE designers
    intended.
    --
    cya,
    Alan

  4. Re: start button

    Alan Van Art wrote:

    > Where is the setting to tell KDE what icon to choose?

    IIRC, this is hardcoded in the source.

    --
    Bram Schoenmakers
    KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

  5. Re: start button

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:17:50 GMT, Alan Van Art said:
    > Chris Menzel wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:27:43 GMT, Alan Van Art said:
    >>> I hate asking stupid questions... I have looked high and low for
    >>> the answer to this question, and although I've found several answers,
    >>> none of them work for me. I am running Mandrake 10, KDE 3.2. I would like
    >>> to change my start button icon from the Star to something else. None of
    >>> the techniques that I've read about are doing it. How does one change the
    >>> icon?

    >> I *think* the only way to change this is by installing a different theme
    >> or icon set: K -> Control Center -> Appearance & Themes -> Icons (or
    >> Theme Manager). You might need to install alternative icon sets or
    >> themes via separate RPMs; go to http://kdelook.org and poke around for
    >> icons and themes and installation instructions.

    > I found the answer to my question over in the Mandrake group... here's the
    > key:
    >
    > /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png

    Hm, so Mandrake has apparently hacked the standard KDE distribution,
    and/or the Crystal icon set, to have the ugly star icon show up. Is
    there by any chance a symlink called "kmenu.png" pointing to the above
    graphic in that dir? That appears to be the standard name for the K
    menu icon under Gentoo and FreeBSD, neither of which does any
    distro-centric tweaking that I know of.

    > My next questions are:
    >
    > Why is this different across distributions?

    Presumably because some distros want to give themselves themselves a
    distinctive look, so they hack KDE in one manner or another.

    > Where is the setting to tell KDE what icon to choose?

    Again, I don't believe there is a setting you can tweak; the icon you
    get is determined by the icon set you choose.

    > Obviously the Mandrake people changed that setting from the standard
    > so that no matter what icon theme you chose, you would be stuck with
    > the ugly star icon. Now when I change icon themes I'll have to change
    > the 'start button' manually, unless I can put that setting back to
    > what the KDE designers intended.

    That doesn't seem follow from what you've said. If "menuk-mdk.png" only
    exists in the Crystal icon set, then perhaps if you change icon sets
    you'll just get that set's kmenu.png icon.

    Chris Menzel

  6. Re: start button

    said:

    for

    like

    of

    the

    > >> I *think* the only way to change this is by installing a different

    theme
    > >> or icon set: K -> Control Center -> Appearance & Themes -> Icons (or
    > >> Theme Manager). You might need to install alternative icon sets or
    > >> themes via separate RPMs; go to http://kdelook.org and poke around for
    > >> icons and themes and installation instructions.

    > > I found the answer to my question over in the Mandrake group... here's

    the
    > > key:
    > >
    > > /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png

    > Hm, so Mandrake has apparently hacked the standard KDE distribution,
    > and/or the Crystal icon set, to have the ugly star icon show up. Is
    > there by any chance a symlink called "kmenu.png" pointing to the above
    > graphic in that dir? That appears to be the standard name for the K
    > menu icon under Gentoo and FreeBSD, neither of which does any
    > distro-centric tweaking that I know of.
    >
    > > My next questions are:
    > >
    > > Why is this different across distributions?

    > Presumably because some distros want to give themselves themselves a
    > distinctive look, so they hack KDE in one manner or another.
    >
    > > Where is the setting to tell KDE what icon to choose?

    > Again, I don't believe there is a setting you can tweak; the icon you
    > get is determined by the icon set you choose.
    >
    > > Obviously the Mandrake people changed that setting from the standard
    > > so that no matter what icon theme you chose, you would be stuck with
    > > the ugly star icon. Now when I change icon themes I'll have to change
    > > the 'start button' manually, unless I can put that setting back to
    > > what the KDE designers intended.

    > That doesn't seem follow from what you've said. If "menuk-mdk.png" only
    > exists in the Crystal icon set, then perhaps if you change icon sets
    > you'll just get that set's kmenu.png icon.
    >
    > Chris Menzel

    There *definitely* is a way to do it, since sometime in the past I applied
    info found on the net. Unfortunately I can't remember where the tip was,
    but I'll look through my notes and get back here with the answer within a
    day or so!

    The change involved an icon file copy, but the details escape me at present
    :-(

    Rob.

  7. Re: start button

    said:

    > for

    answers,

    > like

    > of

    change
    > the

    > theme

    for
    > > > I found the answer to my question over in the Mandrake group... here's

    > the
    > > > key:
    > > >
    > > > /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png

    > > Hm, so Mandrake has apparently hacked the standard KDE distribution,
    > > and/or the Crystal icon set, to have the ugly star icon show up. Is
    > > there by any chance a symlink called "kmenu.png" pointing to the above
    > > graphic in that dir? That appears to be the standard name for the K
    > > menu icon under Gentoo and FreeBSD, neither of which does any
    > > distro-centric tweaking that I know of.
    > >
    > > > My next questions are:
    > > >
    > > > Why is this different across distributions?

    > > Presumably because some distros want to give themselves themselves a
    > > distinctive look, so they hack KDE in one manner or another.
    > >
    > > > Where is the setting to tell KDE what icon to choose?

    > > Again, I don't believe there is a setting you can tweak; the icon you
    > > get is determined by the icon set you choose.
    > >
    > > > Obviously the Mandrake people changed that setting from the standard
    > > > so that no matter what icon theme you chose, you would be stuck with
    > > > the ugly star icon. Now when I change icon themes I'll have to change
    > > > the 'start button' manually, unless I can put that setting back to
    > > > what the KDE designers intended.

    > > That doesn't seem follow from what you've said. If "menuk-mdk.png" only
    > > exists in the Crystal icon set, then perhaps if you change icon sets
    > > you'll just get that set's kmenu.png icon.
    > >
    > > Chris Menzel

    > There *definitely* is a way to do it, since sometime in the past I applied
    > info found on the net. Unfortunately I can't remember where the tip was,
    > but I'll look through my notes and get back here with the answer within a
    > day or so!
    >
    > The change involved an icon file copy, but the details escape me at

    present
    > :-(
    >
    > Rob.

    I found the reference faster than I expected!

    I haven't looked at this for quite some time, but IIRC this will answer your
    question.

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ge+K+menu+icon

    (all on one line)

    HTH

    Rob.

  8. Re: start button

    Chris Menzel wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:17:50 GMT, Alan Van Art said:
    >> Chris Menzel wrote:

    >>> I *think* the only way to change this is by installing a different theme
    >>> or icon set: K -> Control Center -> Appearance & Themes -> Icons (or
    >>> Theme Manager). You might need to install alternative icon sets or
    >>> themes via separate RPMs; go to http://kdelook.org and poke around for
    >>> icons and themes and installation instructions.

    >> I found the answer to my question over in the Mandrake group... here's
    >> the key:
    >>
    >> /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/menuk-mdk.png

    > Hm, so Mandrake has apparently hacked the standard KDE distribution,
    > and/or the Crystal icon set, to have the ugly star icon show up. Is
    > there by any chance a symlink called "kmenu.png" pointing to the above
    > graphic in that dir? That appears to be the standard name for the K
    > menu icon under Gentoo and FreeBSD, neither of which does any
    > distro-centric tweaking that I know of.
    >
    >> My next questions are:
    >>
    >> Why is this different across distributions?

    > Presumably because some distros want to give themselves themselves a
    > distinctive look, so they hack KDE in one manner or another.
    >
    >> Where is the setting to tell KDE what icon to choose?

    > Again, I don't believe there is a setting you can tweak; the icon you
    > get is determined by the icon set you choose.
    >
    >> Obviously the Mandrake people changed that setting from the standard
    >> so that no matter what icon theme you chose, you would be stuck with
    >> the ugly star icon. Now when I change icon themes I'll have to change
    >> the 'start button' manually, unless I can put that setting back to
    >> what the KDE designers intended.

    > That doesn't seem follow from what you've said. If "menuk-mdk.png" only
    > exists in the Crystal icon set, then perhaps if you change icon sets
    > you'll just get that set's kmenu.png icon.
    >
    > Chris Menzel

    Only the Crystal iconset contains a menuk-mdk.png (all sizes). The other
    sets that have a kmenu.png, won't load it. It always uses the menuk-mdk.png
    from the Crystal iconset.
    --
    cya,
    Alan

  9. Re: start button

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:24:49 GMT, Alan Van Art said:
    > Only the Crystal iconset contains a menuk-mdk.png (all sizes). The other
    > sets that have a kmenu.png, won't load it. It always uses the menuk-mdk.png
    > from the Crystal iconset.

    seriously bogus

+ Reply to Thread