KDE 3.4 Install newbie - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE 3.4 Install newbie - KDE ; Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux, and download the base KDE upgrade in RPM. When I tried to install using rpm, it needed some dependencies which included lib3, so I downloaded that. When I tried to install lib3 first, it ...

  1. KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux, and download the base KDE upgrade in RPM.
    When I tried to install using rpm, it needed some dependencies which
    included lib3, so I downloaded that.
    When I tried to install lib3 first, it said I needed QT 3.3.4 and Art 1.4.0,
    so I painstainingly installed those,
    and for a while was only able to boot into the command prompt. I think I
    have both the new QT and Arts installed, by using make install on those.
    Unfortunately, rpm on KDElib3 still claims those as dependencies and won't
    run.
    What am I doing wrong? Is there a single rpm package to download and run
    to install the new version of KDE?
    Why won't the KDElib see my brand new installation of QT and Arts?
    Kurt

  2. Re: KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 at 12:35 GMT, Kurt M Peters eloquently wrote:
    > Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux, and download the base KDE upgrade in RPM.
    > When I tried to install using rpm, it needed some dependencies which
    > included lib3, so I downloaded that.
    > When I tried to install lib3 first, it said I needed QT 3.3.4 and Art 1.4.0,
    > so I painstainingly installed those,
    > and for a while was only able to boot into the command prompt. I think I
    > have both the new QT and Arts installed, by using make install on those.
    > Unfortunately, rpm on KDElib3 still claims those as dependencies and won't
    > run.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Everything it seems.

    > Is there a single rpm package to download and run
    > to install the new version of KDE?

    Not that I know of.

    > Why won't the KDElib see my brand new installation of QT and Arts?

    Maybe because you did it the wrong way...

    For us to help you here we need to know certain things like what
    distribution you run. From there we should be able to lead you
    to the easiest way to install KDE 3.4.0.

    N.Emile...
    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
    Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  3. Re: KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    To provide some more information, I run Suse 9.2 Professional and I'm using
    a Pentium 4 machine.
    As for installing QT, I'm pretty sure I got it right because the
    development apps are showing 3.3.4 instead of the old 3.3.3, and it actually
    starts KDE now. Arts, I'm not really sure if that was done correctly.
    Regards,
    Kurt
    "ne..." wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 at 12:35 GMT, Kurt M Peters eloquently wrote:
    >> Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux, and download the base KDE upgrade in RPM.
    >> When I tried to install using rpm, it needed some dependencies which
    >> included lib3, so I downloaded that.
    >> When I tried to install lib3 first, it said I needed QT 3.3.4 and Art
    >> 1.4.0,
    >> so I painstainingly installed those,
    >> and for a while was only able to boot into the command prompt. I think I
    >> have both the new QT and Arts installed, by using make install on those.
    >> Unfortunately, rpm on KDElib3 still claims those as dependencies and
    >> won't
    >> run.
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > Everything it seems.
    >
    >> Is there a single rpm package to download and run
    >> to install the new version of KDE?

    > Not that I know of.
    >
    >> Why won't the KDElib see my brand new installation of QT and Arts?

    > Maybe because you did it the wrong way...
    >
    > For us to help you here we need to know certain things like what
    > distribution you run. From there we should be able to lead you
    > to the easiest way to install KDE 3.4.0.
    >
    > N.Emile...
    > --
    > Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
    > Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'
    > http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest | to reply.
    > Switch to: http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/190653

  4. Re: KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    Kurt M Peters wrote:

    > To provide some more information, I run Suse 9.2 Professional and I'm
    > using a Pentium 4 machine.
    > As for installing QT, I'm pretty sure I got it right because the
    > development apps are showing 3.3.4 instead of the old 3.3.3, and it
    > actually starts KDE now. Arts, I'm not really sure if that was done
    > correctly. Regards,

    Since you're using SUSE, don't install RPMs manually using rpm from the
    command line. Use YAST's software installation module, and it will sort
    out the dependencies for you automatically.

    --
    Ross Smith ........ r-smith@ihug.co.nz ........ Auckland, New Zealand
    "Romantics might like to think of themselves as being composed

  5. Re: KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    How do I do that? I try to start YAST2 but can't figure out how to point it
    to the right place! It's crazy, but honestly, I've read through the doc on
    it, and it's not too clear, plus I played around with it, and I can't even
    point the online to the right repository either.
    "Ross Smith" wrote in message
    > Kurt M Peters wrote:
    >
    >> To provide some more information, I run Suse 9.2 Professional and I'm
    >> using a Pentium 4 machine.
    >> As for installing QT, I'm pretty sure I got it right because the
    >> development apps are showing 3.3.4 instead of the old 3.3.3, and it
    >> actually starts KDE now. Arts, I'm not really sure if that was done
    >> correctly. Regards,

    > Since you're using SUSE, don't install RPMs manually using rpm from the
    > command line. Use YAST's software installation module, and it will sort
    > out the dependencies for you automatically.
    >
    > --
    > Ross Smith ........ r-smith@ihug.co.nz ........ Auckland, New Zealand
    > "Romantics might like to think of themselves as being composed
    > of stardust. Cynics might prefer to think of themselves as
    > nuclear waste." -- Simon Singh

  6. Re: KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    Kurt M Peters wrote:
    > "Ross Smith" wrote in message
    >> Kurt M Peters wrote:
    >>
    >>> To provide some more information, I run Suse 9.2 Professional and
    >>> I'm using a Pentium 4 machine.
    >>> As for installing QT, I'm pretty sure I got it right because the
    >>> development apps are showing 3.3.4 instead of the old 3.3.3, and it
    >>> actually starts KDE now. Arts, I'm not really sure if that was done
    >>> correctly. Regards,

    >> Since you're using SUSE, don't install RPMs manually using rpm from
    >> the command line. Use YAST's software installation module, and it
    >> will sort out the dependencies for you automatically.

    > How do I do that? I try to start YAST2 but can't figure out how to
    > point it
    > to the right place! It's crazy, but honestly, I've read through the
    > doc on it, and it's not too clear, plus I played around with it, and I
    > can't even point the online to the right repository either.

    Go into Yast2 modules > Software > "Change source of installation", and
    add the directory containing the new RPMs. Then go to "Install and
    remove software", and select the ones you want. (Yast2 tends to be a
    bit reluctant to pick up changes in the installation source
    directories; you may have to log out and restart your KDE session
    before the new RPMs show up.)

    For the online update (which won't pick up the new KDE RPMs, but will
    keep you up to date on security patches), you shouldn't need to point
    it at a repository at all; it finds it automatically.

    --
    Ross Smith ........ r-smith@ihug.co.nz ........ Auckland, New Zealand
    "Romantics might like to think of themselves as being composed
    of stardust. Cynics might prefer to think of themselves as
    nuclear waste." -- Simon Singh

  7. Re: KDE 3.4 Install newbie

    Thanks, All seemed to work. I had to get jack-devel off of the DVD and
    some other dependencies, but it's up and running now.
    The "expanding icons" rollover on the toolbar seems to have quit
    functioning in favor of large square things with the icon and name.
    Kurt
    "Ross Smith" wrote in message
    > Kurt M Peters wrote:
    >> "Ross Smith" wrote in message

    >>> Since you're using SUSE, don't install RPMs manually using rpm from
    >>> the command line. Use YAST's software installation module, and it
    >>> will sort out the dependencies for you automatically.

    >> How do I do that? I try to start YAST2 but can't figure out how to
    >> point it
    >> to the right place! It's crazy, but honestly, I've read through the
    >> doc on it, and it's not too clear, plus I played around with it, and I
    >> can't even point the online to the right repository either.

    > Go into Yast2 modules > Software > "Change source of installation", and
    > add the directory containing the new RPMs. Then go to "Install and
    > remove software", and select the ones you want. (Yast2 tends to be a
    > bit reluctant to pick up changes in the installation source
    > directories; you may have to log out and restart your KDE session
    > before the new RPMs show up.)
    >
    > For the online update (which won't pick up the new KDE RPMs, but will
    > keep you up to date on security patches), you shouldn't need to point
    > it at a repository at all; it finds it automatically.
    >
    > --
    > Ross Smith ........ r-smith@ihug.co.nz ........ Auckland, New Zealand
    > "Romantics might like to think of themselves as being composed
    > of stardust. Cynics might prefer to think of themselves as
    > nuclear waste." -- Simon Singh

+ Reply to Thread