How do I add stuff to the convert menu in Konqueror? - KDE

This is a discussion on How do I add stuff to the convert menu in Konqueror? - KDE ; I sometimes receive tiff files that I would like to convert to pdf. The way I do it now is to drop into a command line then tiff2ps -a infile > outfile.ps followed by ps2pdf outfile.ps > infile.pdf Is there ...

  1. How do I add stuff to the convert menu in Konqueror?

    I sometimes receive tiff files that I would like to convert to pdf.

    The way I do it now is to drop into a command line then tiff2ps -a infile > outfile.ps followed by ps2pdf outfile.ps > infile.pdf

    Is there a way to add this as an option to Konqueror's context menu (right click on .tif files and you get a convert option).

    Thanks

    Brendan

  2. Re: How do I add stuff to the convert menu in Konqueror?

    Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:

    > I sometimes receive tiff files that I would like to convert to pdf.
    >
    > The way I do it now is to drop into a command line then tiff2ps -a infile
    > > outfile.ps followed by ps2pdf outfile.ps > infile.pdf

    > Is there a way to add this as an option to Konqueror's context menu (right
    > click on .tif files and you get a convert option).
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brendan

    Yes ther is, using the servicemenus.

    You just have to create a .desktop file and place it in in `kde-config
    --prefix`/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/ (or
    ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/).

    I gave it a try, here is the result.

    ### tiffconverter.desktop ###
    [Desktop Entry]
    ServiceTypes=image/tiff
    Actions=ToPS;ToPDF
    X-KDE-Submenu=Convert to
    X-KDE-Submenu[fr]=Convertir en
    TryExec=tiff2ps
    TryExec=tiff2pdf

    [Desktop Action ToPS]
    Name=PS
    Exec=tiff2ps -a %f -O "`echo %f | perl -pe 's/\.[^.]+$//'`.ps"

    [Desktop Action ToPDF]
    Name=PDF
    Exec=tiff2pdf %f -o "`echo %f | perl -pe 's/\.[^.]+$//'`.pdf"

    ### end of tiffconverter.desktop ###

    a tutorial
    http://developer.kde.org/documentati...vicemenus.html

    standard specifs
    http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...y-spec/latest/

  3. Re: How do I add stuff to the convert menu in Konqueror?

    Thank you. I will give it a go.

    Brendan

    alex svetos wrote:
    > Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:
    >

    >>I sometimes receive tiff files that I would like to convert to pdf.
    >>
    >>The way I do it now is to drop into a command line then tiff2ps -a infile
    >>
    >>>outfile.ps followed by ps2pdf outfile.ps > infile.pdf

    >>Is there a way to add this as an option to Konqueror's context menu (right
    >>click on .tif files and you get a convert option).
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Brendan

    > Yes ther is, using the servicemenus.
    >
    > You just have to create a .desktop file and place it in in `kde-config
    > --prefix`/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/ (or
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/).
    >
    > I gave it a try, here is the result.
    >
    > ### tiffconverter.desktop ###
    > [Desktop Entry]
    > ServiceTypes=image/tiff
    > Actions=ToPS;ToPDF
    > X-KDE-Submenu=Convert to
    > X-KDE-Submenu[fr]=Convertir en
    > TryExec=tiff2ps
    > TryExec=tiff2pdf
    >

    > [Desktop Action ToPS]
    > Name=PS
    > Exec=tiff2ps -a %f -O "`echo %f | perl -pe 's/\.[^.]+$//'`.ps"
    >
    > [Desktop Action ToPDF]
    > Name=PDF
    > Exec=tiff2pdf %f -o "`echo %f | perl -pe 's/\.[^.]+$//'`.pdf"
    >
    > ### end of tiffconverter.desktop ###
    >

    > a tutorial
    > http://developer.kde.org/documentati...vicemenus.html
    >
    > standard specifs