KNode - 'fragmented views'? - KDE

This is a discussion on KNode - 'fragmented views'? - KDE ; Some weeks ago the the 'Group View' and 'Header View' started appearing in a separate window, so that only the article texts are shown in the 'main window'. I don't know how this happened, and I'm unable to get everything ...

  1. KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Some weeks ago the the 'Group View' and 'Header View' started appearing in a
    separate window, so that only the article texts are shown in the 'main
    window'.
    I don't know how this happened, and I'm unable to get everything back in one
    window, which I prefer - can someone help?
    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  2. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > Some weeks ago the the 'Group View' and 'Header View' started appearing in
    > a separate window, so that only the article texts are shown in the 'main
    > window'.
    > I don't know how this happened, and I'm unable to get everything back in
    > one window, which I prefer - can someone help?

    One guy in this newsgroup caused trouble when he had us all fiddle about
    with the layout and consequently lose our convenient settings. From what I
    can recall, it will be safe to close all the panes (if docked, see the tiny
    X at the top-right corner). Then, go to Settings and toggle all the
    relevant entries. They should all be attached to the main window.

    CTRL+G, CTRL+H, CTRL+J

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  3. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > One guy in this newsgroup caused trouble when he had us all fiddle about
    > with the layout and consequently lose our convenient settings.

    Well, seems to be exactly what I managed all on my own!

    > From what I
    > can recall, it will be safe to close all the panes (if docked, see the
    > tiny X at the top-right corner).

    Tried that - and got rid of the 'Header View'(!)

    > Then, go to Settings and toggle all the
    > relevant entries. They should all be attached to the main window.
    >
    > CTRL+G, CTRL+H, CTRL+J

    I probably don't know what 'the relevant entries' are - and how I may attach
    them to the main window??

    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  4. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> One guy in this newsgroup caused trouble when he had us all fiddle about
    >> with the layout and consequently lose our convenient settings.

    > Well, seems to be exactly what I managed all on my own!
    >
    >> From what I
    >> can recall, it will be safe to close all the panes (if docked, see the
    >> tiny X at the top-right corner).

    > Tried that - and got rid of the 'Header View'(!)
    >
    >> Then, go to Settings and toggle all the
    >> relevant entries. They should all be attached to the main window.
    >>
    >> CTRL+G, CTRL+H, CTRL+J

    > I probably don't know what 'the relevant entries' are - and how I may
    > attach them to the main window??

    Okay, no need to panic *LOL*...

    From what I can recall, when panes are added, they are put within the main
    window by default. Close all of them (don't fret). Now go to to 'Settings',
    press 'Show Group View', 'Show Header View' and 'Show Article Viewer' in
    turn. The more tricky part is changing the layout of the panes. I think it
    depends on the order in which you call them to (re-)appear.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  5. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Okay, no need to panic *LOL*...

    Trying to stay away from that!

    > From what I can recall, when panes are added, they are put within the main
    > window by default. Close all of them (don't fret).

    It seems not possible to close 'the freefloating' one??

    > Now go to to
    > 'Settings', press 'Show Group View', 'Show Header View' and 'Show Article
    > Viewer' in turn. The more tricky part is changing the layout of the panes.
    > I think it depends on the order in which you call them to (re-)appear.

    May well be(?): At least I got them connected in a different manner - I now
    have the Group View in a separate window now, with the two remaining ones
    joined. That was as far as I could get!

    (Well, after all it's a nuisance - but no more than that)

    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  6. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Okay, no need to panic *LOL*...

    > Trying to stay away from that!

    Well, after all there may be some cause for panic: I consulted the mailing
    lists under www.kde.org/ - and, indeed, there appears to a bug around,
    following quote refers:
    "It is bug number 72574. If you read newsgroups in KDE and don't want to
    face this bug in KDE 3.3 final, go by bugs.kde.org and vote for this bug.
    If the code isn't fixed, you make one wrong click and Knode is rendered
    unusable."

    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-linux&m=109049006519965&w=2

    contains the full text!
    --
    med venlig hilsen
    Hans

  7. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Okay, no need to panic *LOL*...

    >> Trying to stay away from that!

    > Well, after all there may be some cause for panic: I consulted the mailing
    > lists under www.kde.org/ - and, indeed, there appears to a bug around,
    > following quote refers:
    > "It is bug number 72574. If you read newsgroups in KDE and don't want to
    > face this bug in KDE 3.3 final, go by bugs.kde.org and vote for this bug.
    > If the code isn't fixed, you make one wrong click and Knode is rendered
    > unusable."
    >
    > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-linux&m=109049006519965&w=2
    >
    > contains the full text!

    Which version of KNode are you on? And KDE?

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  8. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Which version of KNode are you on? And KDE?

    KNode 0.8.0/KDE 3.3.0

    [Sorry it took so long! ]

    And BTW: My problem *has* been resolved now - in rather complex manner,
    which I'm going to (try to) outline later today.

    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  9. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Which version of KNode are you on? And KDE?

    > KNode 0.8.0/KDE 3.3.0
    >
    > [Sorry it took so long! ]
    >
    > And BTW: My problem *has* been resolved now - in rather complex manner,
    > which I'm going to (try to) outline later today.

    I use an even older version. KNode is still one of my favourite K
    applications. Look forward to hearing how you solved the problem...

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  10. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I use an even older version. KNode is still one of my favourite K
    > applications. Look forward to hearing how you solved the problem...

    Well, what (seems to have) caused it in the first place?:
    The 'up' arrow of the article pane scroll bar is located just below the
    small
    'detach'-field, and once the 'detach'-x is accidentally clicked upon, the
    article pane breaks loose - and is HARD to dock again!

    The cure:
    I didn't 'invent' it myself - I received an email from Matt Gibson:

    "
    People get this every now and again ;-) *This may help, it's an article I
    wrote here in January 2003!

    Cheers,

    Matt

    [Original article follows]
    luxomni wrote:

    > No, I am not making my request clear enough I think. I am not trying to
    > just drop them on top of each other. When I originally set up the system
    > they were docked in one window. Now they are multiple windows which I
    > ordinarily prefer - but for this one application I wish they were one
    > again (so they can be minimized and restored as a unit. ;-) I tried
    > editing the rc file, but that didn't help and I don't have a command in
    > settings in this program to match what you suggested (origin Slackware
    > 8.1)

    I've just had a play about, and I think I see what you mean. *I never knew
    you could organize the windows so many ways! *And it's quite hard to see
    how to swap between the tabbed-view mode, the split-view mode and the
    separate window mode until you stumble across how to do it.

    To try to clear things up, here's what I've found (using KNode 0.7.1 on KDE
    3.0.4):

    1) The default view is split view. *From here, you can switch to different
    view modes entirely by dragging and dropping; you can't do it with menu
    options, as far as I can see.

    2) The way to change the modes involved dragging and dropping the windows to
    new locations by using the little tiny title bar above each window (with
    the miniature box and cross icons on the right hand side; this may depend
    on your KDE style)

    3) To make a view where two windows are combinend into a single window with
    a "tab" style control at the top, pick one window up and drag it into the
    centre of the other window. *Before you drop, you should see the "proposed
    layout" shadow box appearing in the centre of the other window.

    4) To make one of the views into a completely separate window, drag it
    completely off the main KNode application window. *You might need to shrink
    down the KNode window quite small before you can do this. *Once you've done
    this, you can return it to being part of the main view by clicking the new
    little arrow icon that appears at the right-hand end of its mini-title-bar
    (not the main title bar.) *Or, you can drag it back onto the main KNode
    window. *You have to leave one of the view windows in the main application
    window -- once you're down to one view in there, its little mini-title-bar
    disappears, and you can't hide the view, either.

    NB: All this dragging seems sometimes to depend on the window that you're
    dragging being smaller than the window it's being dropped on, otherwise it
    doesn't work, so you may need to resize the windows you're playing with
    first. *And remember that all dragging to reconfigure has to be done using
    the little mini-title-bar thingy with the tiny little icons at the side,
    not using the main title bar -- maybe this it what you're missing,
    luxomni? *Or does your view window not have one of these bars, for some
    strange reason?"

    I attempted to follow the instructions, and with some success - but the
    panes 'joined vertically', so that I got the Group View just below the tool
    bar, headers below that, and articles at the bottom - so I wrote Matt
    again, and he kindly sent these supplementary instructions:

    "Do you mean they're stacked one on top of the other? *If so, maximise
    KNode. *
    Then drag the Group View pane over to the left hand side, and towards the
    bottom of the screen. *You should see the "drop target" outline change to a
    vertical aspect. *Drop it there. *You may need to slide the top two windows
    up somewhat first, so you've got enough room to drop the window where it
    wants to be."

    And after much trial (and error) I finally got everything back in place -
    and from now on I'm very careful when I have my cursor in the vicinity of
    those tiny 'x'es! )

    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  11. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > I didn't 'invent' it myself - I received an email from Matt Gibson:

    Before anyone netiquette-sensitive jumps in, I should say that I did give Hans
    permission to post my e-mail here. I would have posted in the first place,
    but I didn't know whether my rather old advice would still have been
    relevant, and I was in a bit of a hurry.

    > And after much trial (and error) I finally got everything back in place -

    Glad to hear it, Hans.

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    "It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
    and learning how to live amongst them."

  12. Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

    Matt Gibson wrote:
    > Before anyone netiquette-sensitive jumps in, I should say that I did give
    > Hans
    > permission to post my e-mail here.

    Well, sorry about that - I must (have) be(en) too thick-skinned to identify
    any potential problem there! )

    --
    Regards,
    Hans