want clean command-line shutdown of kmail, eg via 'kill' - KDE

This is a discussion on want clean command-line shutdown of kmail, eg via 'kill' - KDE ; Here's the deal: From home, I can VPN into my desktop machine at work ("W") and bring up applications running on W, but displaying in an X window environment on my home desktop ("H"). However, if I forget to gracefully ...

  1. want clean command-line shutdown of kmail, eg via 'kill'

    Here's the deal: From home, I can VPN into my desktop machine at work
    ("W") and bring up applications running on W, but displaying in an X
    window environment on my home desktop ("H").

    However, if I forget to gracefully quit from 'kmail' before I leave
    work, the kmail running on the W display prevents me from running one
    on my H display.

    So, I can 'kill' the process running on the W display, and then start
    kmail on the H display.

    The problem is that the 'kill' apparently did not let the W kmail do
    its compacting of folders and other nice things, and then the H kmail
    comes up in a weird state. (For instance I may have an outbox full of
    mail that was in fact sent hours ago, and I have to clean out the
    outbox befire I can send any new mail.)

    I tried lots of different flavors of 'kill'... -1, -2, -3, -15, -18,
    -30, -31. None of them causes the "Compacting Folders" popup that I
    get when File>>Quit.

    Is there some other command-line way to cause a running kmail to exit
    cleanly?

    FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE
    Kmail 1.5 (Using KDE 3.1.0)

    Thanks.

    --
    Jack Gavin

  2. Re: want clean command-line shutdown of kmail, eg via 'kill'

    Jack Gavin wrote:

    > Is there some other command-line way to cause a running kmail to exit
    > cleanly?

    try a dcop call, on my KDE 3.3.2 and Kmail 1.7.2 it's

    dcop kmail MainApplication-Interface quit

    though I'm not sure that this actually does what you want

    > Kmail 1.5 (Using KDE 3.1.0)

    if the above does not work, then start from the left

    dcop

    gives you all targets, if there's "kmail" listed, then

    dcop kmail

    and so forth until you find a quit()

    HTH

    Mark

    --
    RLU#81547
    * Midnight Commander

  3. Re: want clean command-line shutdown of kmail, eg via 'kill'

    Mark Draheim wrote:

    > try a dcop call, on my KDE 3.3.2 and Kmail 1.7.2 it's
    >
    > dcop kmail MainApplication-Interface quit

    that is neat; but forces the app to quit
    immediately without updating changes (e.g.
    in knode if you add a new subfolder to local
    folders, then do the dcop quit, the folder
    is not stored or remembered ...)
    --
    there is nothing - absolute nothing - half so much worth
    doing as simply messing about with Linux ...

  4. Re: want clean command-line shutdown of kmail, eg via 'kill'

    albright wrote:

    > Mark Draheim wrote:
    >
    >> try a dcop call, on my KDE 3.3.2 and Kmail 1.7.2 it's
    >>
    >> dcop kmail MainApplication-Interface quit

    > that is neat; but forces the app to quit
    > immediately without updating changes

    dang, I knew there'd be something like this :-(

    Mark

    --
    RLU#81547
    * Midnight Commander
    * filemanager, viewer, editor, extractor and much more - just type "mc"
    * use UP, DOWN, TAB, ENTER, ESC and F1-F10 keys, it's easy

+ Reply to Thread