Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders - KDE

This is a discussion on Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders - KDE ; I just upgraded to KDE 3.4.0-0.rc1 Kmail does not see my local folders after the upgrade. But the folders seems to be on the disk: $ ls ~/.Mail Calendar/ inbox/ Journal/ Mobilsvar/ sent-mail/ trash/ Contacts/ Ingers.mbx Junkabon.mbx Notes/ Sn.mbx Trash.mbx ...

  1. Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders

    I just upgraded to KDE 3.4.0-0.rc1

    Kmail does not see my local folders after the upgrade.

    But the folders seems to be on the disk:

    $ ls ~/.Mail
    Calendar/ inbox/ Journal/ Mobilsvar/ sent-mail/ trash/
    Contacts/ Ingers.mbx Junkabon.mbx Notes/ Sn.mbx Trash.mbx
    drafts/ In.mbx Kenya/ outbox/ Tasks/ Video.mbx
    Frilufts.mbx ISP.mbx Lisenser.mbx Out.mbx Tekniske.mbx Yahoo/

  2. Re: Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders

    Amund wrote:

    > I just upgraded to KDE 3.4.0-0.rc1
    >
    > Kmail does not see my local folders after the upgrade.
    >
    > But the folders seems to be on the disk:
    >
    > $ ls ~/.Mail
    > Calendar/ inbox/ Journal/ Mobilsvar/ sent-mail/ trash/
    > Contacts/ Ingers.mbx Junkabon.mbx Notes/ Sn.mbx
    > Trash.mbx
    > drafts/ In.mbx Kenya/ outbox/ Tasks/
    > Video.mbx
    > Frilufts.mbx ISP.mbx Lisenser.mbx Out.mbx Tekniske.mbx Yahoo/

    In KMail -> Settings -> Configure, under Folders, have you made sure that
    'By default, messages on disk are' is set appropriately? If not, then quite
    possibly your should expect the behaviour that you describe.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  3. Re: Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Amund wrote:
    >
    >> I just upgraded to KDE 3.4.0-0.rc1
    >>
    >> Kmail does not see my local folders after the upgrade.
    >>
    >> But the folders seems to be on the disk:
    >>
    >> $ ls ~/.Mail
    >> Calendar/ inbox/ Journal/ Mobilsvar/ sent-mail/ trash/
    >> Contacts/ Ingers.mbx Junkabon.mbx Notes/ Sn.mbx
    >> Trash.mbx
    >> drafts/ In.mbx Kenya/ outbox/ Tasks/
    >> Video.mbx
    >> Frilufts.mbx ISP.mbx Lisenser.mbx Out.mbx Tekniske.mbx Yahoo/

    > In KMail -> Settings -> Configure, under Folders, have you made sure that
    > 'By default, messages on disk are' is set appropriately? If not, then
    > quite possibly your should expect the behaviour that you describe.
    >
    > Roy

    My folders are stored under ~/.Mail.
    It seems like kmail 1.8 ignores my old local folders, and it creates some
    new folders under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.

    Under Settings -> Configure Kmail, i find no place to select the location of
    the local folders.

    Amund

  4. Re: Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders

    Amund wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Amund wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just upgraded to KDE 3.4.0-0.rc1
    >>>
    >>> Kmail does not see my local folders after the upgrade.
    >>>
    >>> But the folders seems to be on the disk:
    >>>
    >>> $ ls ~/.Mail
    >>> Calendar/ inbox/ Journal/ Mobilsvar/ sent-mail/ trash/
    >>> Contacts/ Ingers.mbx Junkabon.mbx Notes/ Sn.mbx
    >>> Trash.mbx
    >>> drafts/ In.mbx Kenya/ outbox/ Tasks/
    >>> Video.mbx
    >>> Frilufts.mbx ISP.mbx Lisenser.mbx Out.mbx Tekniske.mbx Yahoo/

    >> In KMail -> Settings -> Configure, under Folders, have you made sure that
    >> 'By default, messages on disk are' is set appropriately? If not, then
    >> quite possibly your should expect the behaviour that you describe.
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>

    > My folders are stored under ~/.Mail.
    > It seems like kmail 1.8 ignores my old local folders, and it creates some
    > new folders under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.
    >
    > Under Settings -> Configure Kmail, i find no place to select the location
    > of the local folders.
    >
    > Amund

    What happens if you (make back-ups first!) remove
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/ and then graft ~/.Mail as is to
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/ and rename ".Mail" to "mail"? When KMail is
    opened, you may expect a pleasant surprise. Assuming this might work, the
    only question remains: does any other application make use of ~/.Mail,
    e.g. a second mail client?

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  5. Re: Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Amund wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> In KMail -> Settings -> Configure, under Folders, have you made sure
    >>> that 'By default, messages on disk are' is set appropriately? If not,
    >>> then quite possibly your should expect the behaviour that you describe.
    >>>
    >>> Roy
    >>>

    >> My folders are stored under ~/.Mail.
    >> It seems like kmail 1.8 ignores my old local folders, and it creates some
    >> new folders under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.
    >>
    >> Under Settings -> Configure Kmail, i find no place to select the location
    >> of the local folders.
    >>
    >> Amund

    > What happens if you (make back-ups first!) remove
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/ and then graft ~/.Mail as is to
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/ and rename ".Mail" to "mail"? When KMail is
    > opened, you may expect a pleasant surprise. Assuming this might work, the
    > only question remains: does any other application make use of ~/.Mail,
    > e.g. a second mail client?
    >
    > Roy

    I have deleted the folders under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Then moved
    everyting from ~/.Mail to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.

    The mbx files now shows up as folders in Kmail, and they works fine.
    The rest of the folders, like the inbox and sent-mail, etc, appear in Kmail
    as empty folders without mails, even if they contains thousends of e-mails.

    Kmail1.8 has tools to import mails from a lot of different clients. It is
    strange it lacks tools to import the mails from previous versions of Kmail.

    Amund

  6. Re: Kmail 1.8 does not see my local folders

    Amund wrote:

    > I have deleted the folders under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Then moved
    > everyting from ~/.Mail to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.
    >
    > The mbx files now shows up as folders in Kmail, and they works fine.
    > The rest of the folders, like the inbox and sent-mail, etc, appear in Kmail
    > as empty folders without mails, even if they contains thousends of e-mails.
    >
    > Kmail1.8 has tools to import mails from a lot of different clients. It is
    > strange it lacks tools to import the mails from previous versions of Kmail.

    The new KDE 3.4 and Kmail 1.8 is only out as an -rc version
    (Release Candidate). It's only for testing and not ready for
    general public use.

    I imagine there will be a utility to import mail from previous
    versions when the stable, final version of 3.4 is released

    It *is* a pain the way they keep changing mail directories.
    They've gone from /Mail to /.Mail and now to
    /.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail

+ Reply to Thread