Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel? - KDE

This is a discussion on Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel? - KDE ; I've recently come to KDE after using GNOME for years, and I'm very pleased with having made the jump. The only Gnome feature I miss is the ability to have more than one copy of the weather applet running on ...

  1. Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    I've recently come to KDE after using GNOME for years, and I'm very pleased
    with having made the jump. The only Gnome feature I miss is the ability to
    have more than one copy of the weather applet running on the panel, each a
    different city of course.

    Can I do this with KDE also? My experience so far has been no - only one
    copy of kweather is permitted on the panel.

    TIA.

    BTW, I'm running KDE 3.3.1.

  2. Re: Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:02:58 GMT, Michael W. Carney
    wrote:

    > Can I do this with KDE also? My experience so far has been no - only one
    > copy of kweather is permitted on the panel.

    Not with the panel icon. But in its configuration you will note that you
    can set up as many as you like on the 2nd tab. These are to supply the
    weather service to the Overview (opening) screen of kontact so that apart
    from tasks/appointments and emails it can also show multiple weather and
    news services.
    There is also a plugin for the konqueror side-bar that does the same.
    If you use Firefox as a web browser it can also have multiple weather
    icons with one of its plugins.

    --
    andrew

  3. Re: Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    Michael W. Carney wrote:

    > I've recently come to KDE after using GNOME for years, and I'm
    > very pleased with having made the jump. The only Gnome feature I
    > miss is the ability to have more than one copy of the weather
    > applet running on the panel, each a different city of course.
    >
    > Can I do this with KDE also? My experience so far has been no -
    > only one copy of kweather is permitted on the panel.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > BTW, I'm running KDE 3.3.1.

    That should work. I'm using KDE 3.3.2 and I have one icon for my
    hometown and one for Hongkong on my panel. Just add
    kweather->select all stations you want->add a new applet for
    each station and in each applet enter the IACO code for the
    station you want to display.

    HTH
    Ransom
    --
    For real email get public key 0xF6BB5695 from www.keyserver.net
    NO to Software Patents - http://www.ffii.org

  4. Re: Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    Andrew Kar wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:02:58 GMT, Michael W. Carney
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can I do this with KDE also? My experience so far has been no -
    >> only one copy of kweather is permitted on the panel.

    > Not with the panel icon. But in its configuration you will note
    > that you can set up as many as you like on the 2nd tab. These
    > are to supply the weather service to the Overview (opening)
    > screen of kontact so that apart
    > from tasks/appointments and emails it can also show multiple
    > weather and
    > news services.
    > There is also a plugin for the konqueror side-bar that does the
    > same. If you use Firefox as a web browser it can also have
    > multiple weather icons with one of its plugins.

    In KDE 3.3.2 it works. I have several icons on the panel, each
    displaying a different city.

    Ransom
    --
    For real email get public key 0xF6BB5695 from www.keyserver.net
    NO to Software Patents - http://www.ffii.org

  5. Re: Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    Andrew Kar wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:02:58 GMT, Michael W. Carney
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can I do this with KDE also? My experience so far has been no - only one
    >> copy of kweather is permitted on the panel.

    > Not with the panel icon. But in its configuration you will note that you
    > can set up as many as you like on the 2nd tab.

    Cool - thanks for the pointer!

    > These are to supply the
    > weather service to the Overview (opening) screen of kontact so that apart
    > from tasks/appointments and emails it can also show multiple weather and
    > news services.
    > There is also a plugin for the konqueror side-bar that does the same.
    > If you use Firefox as a web browser it can also have multiple weather
    > icons with one of its plugins.

    I'll check it out.

  6. Re: Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    Ransom wrote:

    > Michael W. Carney wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently come to KDE after using GNOME for years, and I'm
    >> very pleased with having made the jump. The only Gnome feature I
    >> miss is the ability to have more than one copy of the weather
    >> applet running on the panel, each a different city of course.
    >>
    >> Can I do this with KDE also? My experience so far has been no -
    >> only one copy of kweather is permitted on the panel.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> BTW, I'm running KDE 3.3.1.

    > That should work. I'm using KDE 3.3.2 and I have one icon for my
    > hometown and one for Hongkong on my panel. Just add
    > kweather->select all stations you want->add a new applet for
    > each station and in each applet enter the IACO code for the
    > station you want to display.

    Hmmm. When I added the second city, I was able to get a second icon on the
    panel, which I switched to the other city. Great! However, the second icon
    doesn't persist when I save session / relogin. Oh well. Perhaps that'll
    improve in 3.3.2.

    Thanks for the help!

    > HTH
    > Ransom

  7. Re: Can I have more than one instance of kweather on my panel?

    Michael W. Carney wrote:

    > Perhaps that'll
    > improve in 3.3.2.

    Yes it must be a work in progress. Here with 3.3.0-5 it only allows one
    applet and the manual verifies that. You cant even select a second applet
    to try as kde at this point greys out applets that are used but it seems
    finished by 3.3.2.
    BTW The kontact view page works fine here with multiple stations but I cant
    get konquerors sidebar to show multiple (or any) weather as the manual
    says, There is perhaps a plugin or something missing.
    Can some of those people with >=3.3.2 tell us if the sidebar weather works
    yet?

    andrew

+ Reply to Thread