Kontact - Kmail - Knews - KDE

This is a discussion on Kontact - Kmail - Knews - KDE ; I've just started to try using these under Mandrake 10.1. There are two things I couldn't get a handle on: 1) Although I could print messages, on A4 paper, about 1/3 of the right hand side was wasted. Where would ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Kontact - Kmail - Knews

  1. Kontact - Kmail - Knews

    I've just started to try using these under Mandrake 10.1.
    There are two things I couldn't get a handle on:

    1) Although I could print messages, on A4 paper, about
    1/3 of the right hand side was wasted. Where would
    I locate the controls to alter this?

    2) I would also like to adjust the point size of the
    printed typeface. Is that possible too?

    There was one other thing, I couldn't see an obvious way
    to save messages. Its probably there but I haven't yet
    grasped the KDE Kulture yet .

    TIA

    Alan


  2. Re: Kontact - Kmail - Knews

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:25:51 +0000, alan(remove this bit) <"alan(remove
    this bit)"@asandco.co.uk> wrote:

    > I've just started to try using these under Mandrake 10.1.
    > There are two things I couldn't get a handle on:
    >
    > 1) Although I could print messages, on A4 paper, about
    > 1/3 of the right hand side was wasted. Where would
    > I locate the controls to alter this?


    (Simplified explanation follows so dont flame me)
    Almost all Email programs wrap the text at about 72 to 78 character so
    that the people that receive it have it laid out correctly and easy to
    read. So the text has a newline or return code at that point which means
    the received email will only be that wide unless you re-edit it. So grow
    to like the big right-hand space for emails; it is NOT a margin setting.


    > 2) I would also like to adjust the point size of the
    > printed typeface. Is that possible too?


    In the setting menu /configure kmail/ appearance/fonts Tick the 'use
    custom fonts' box then drop the list; Apply to: Printing Output and choose
    whatever you like.

    > There was one other thing, I couldn't see an obvious way
    > to save messages. Its probably there but I haven't yet
    > grasped the KDE Kulture yet .


    No you are part of the millenial kulture; Cant read manuals or choose
    'help' from a menu or toolbar :-)

    You save just like in every other app. In the "File" menu choose "Save As"


    > TIA
    >
    > Alan
    >




    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  3. Re: Kontact - Kmail - Knews



    Andrew Kar wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:25:51 +0000, alan(remove this bit) <"alan(remove
    > this bit)"@asandco.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> I've just started to try using these under Mandrake 10.1.
    >> There are two things I couldn't get a handle on:
    >>
    >> 1) Although I could print messages, on A4 paper, about
    >> 1/3 of the right hand side was wasted. Where would
    >> I locate the controls to alter this?

    >
    >
    > (Simplified explanation follows so dont flame me)
    > Almost all Email programs wrap the text at about 72 to 78 character so
    > that the people that receive it have it laid out correctly and easy to
    > read. So the text has a newline or return code at that point which
    > means the received email will only be that wide unless you re-edit it.
    > So grow to like the big right-hand space for emails; it is NOT a margin
    > setting.
    >


    That just begs the question. Its the old 'its not a bug its a feature'
    routine. Wrapping is fine for sending but for printing on the
    recipient's machine, the recipient should have control. On netscape they
    managed it way back in the 20th Century.

    >
    >> 2) I would also like to adjust the point size of the
    >> printed typeface. Is that possible too?

    >
    >
    > In the setting menu /configure kmail/ appearance/fonts Tick the 'use
    > custom fonts' box then drop the list; Apply to: Printing Output and
    > choose whatever you like.
    >
    >> There was one other thing, I couldn't see an obvious way
    >> to save messages. Its probably there but I haven't yet
    >> grasped the KDE Kulture yet .

    >
    >
    > No you are part of the millenial kulture; Cant read manuals or choose
    > 'help' from a menu or toolbar :-)


    Oh I can read manuals. I just find KDE's approach to them makes you go
    blind quicker.
    >
    > You save just like in every other app. In the "File" menu choose "Save As"


    Ah! Not every other app. Netscape has a 'File' button on the tool menu.
    Its quicker. On the whole though, I prefer this app.

    Thanks for you help.

    >
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Alan


  4. Re: Kontact - Kmail - Knews

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:15:19 +0000, alan(remove this bit) <"alan(remove
    this bit)"@asandco.co.uk> wrote:

    > That just begs the question. Its the old 'its not a bug its a feature'
    > routine. Wrapping is fine for sending but for printing on the
    > recipient's machine, the recipient should have control. On netscape they
    > managed it way back in the 20th Century.


    ??? I would have thought if Netscape did that people would scream blue
    murder about not getting wysiwyg print output. I dont recall ever having
    seen Netscape print different to the screen but maybe earlier version did
    when all emails were text only.
    But you misunderstand, it is not the RECEIVER that is wrapping but the
    SENDER who is putting in CR codes every 7x characters. When the reciever
    has their wrap setting different to the sender then you get all those
    funny emails like this;
    kjkjjk jhjkh kjhkjhjkhkjh kjhkjh kjhkjkj kjhgkjkjg
    sdsdfsd sgf
    sdgsdgsd sdgshgsjh jksdhfkjshf sakjdjf shdfjsh jhff
    jjk kjhjs jh
    jhsdjhsdj lkhsjdhjkhs skjhfkjshf klsdhj sjhkjhdkj
    jkh jh etc etc

    So Netscape may have ignored wrapping in the early days but printing has
    advanced since then and people demand WYSIWYG nowadays. You could tell all
    your friends to turn wrapping off on their email composers and then you
    can print how you like :-)


    --
    andrew
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  5. Re: Kontact - Kmail - Knews

    Andrew Kar wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:15:19 +0000, alan(remove this bit) <"alan(remove
    > this bit)"@asandco.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> That just begs the question. Its the old 'its not a bug its a
    >> feature' routine. Wrapping is fine for sending but for printing on
    >> the recipient's machine, the recipient should have control. On
    >> netscape they managed it way back in the 20th Century.

    >
    >
    > ??? I would have thought if Netscape did that people would scream blue
    > murder about not getting wysiwyg print output. I dont recall ever
    > having seen Netscape print different to the screen but maybe earlier
    > version did when all emails were text only.
    > But you misunderstand, it is not the RECEIVER that is wrapping but the
    > SENDER who is putting in CR codes every 7x characters. When the
    > reciever has their wrap setting different to the sender then you get
    > all those funny emails like this;
    > kjkjjk jhjkh kjhkjhjkhkjh kjhkjh kjhkjkj kjhgkjkjg
    > sdsdfsd sgf
    > sdgsdgsd sdgshgsjh jksdhfkjshf sakjdjf shdfjsh jhff
    > jjk kjhjs jh
    > jhsdjhsdj lkhsjdhjkhs skjhfkjshf klsdhj sjhkjhdkj
    > jkh jh etc etc
    >
    > So Netscape may have ignored wrapping in the early days but printing
    > has advanced since then and people demand WYSIWYG nowadays. You could
    > tell all your friends to turn wrapping off on their email composers and
    > then you can print how you like :-)
    >
    >


    You misunderstand. The wrapping is (was) user definable. If you wanted
    your document to wrap at 90 character columns, you changed it. Yes I
    understand that proportional fonts make that trickier but for Pete's
    sake, it's resolved elsewhere. Why should this particular environment be
    claimed to present special problems? You'll tell me next that the
    world only needs three computers or that 'talkies' will be a flash in
    the pan. My guess is that nothing stays the same and that in 2010, the
    mail and newsgroups readers in Mandrake 20.1 will not have this
    'feature.' Hope I'm still around then.

    Regards

    Alan


+ Reply to Thread