I learned from that - kppp and modem - KDE

This is a discussion on I learned from that - kppp and modem - KDE ; I just brought up a FC3 system and had the problem that my modem was invariably connecting at 9600 baud even tho it's a V.92 internal PCI modem. The solution turned out to be that in the section of kppp ...

  1. I learned from that - kppp and modem

    I just brought up a FC3 system and had the problem that my modem was
    invariably connecting at 9600 baud even tho it's a V.92 internal
    PCI modem. The solution turned out to be that in the section of kppp
    where you set the modem characteristics the speed was set to the
    highest one on the list, 460800. Changing it to 115200 made the
    modem start working right.

    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  2. Re: I learned from that - kppp and modem

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:55:03 +0000, Jim Haynes wrote:

    > I just brought up a FC3 system and had the problem that my modem was
    > invariably connecting at 9600 baud even tho it's a V.92 internal
    > PCI modem. The solution turned out to be that in the section of kppp
    > where you set the modem characteristics the speed was set to the
    > highest one on the list, 460800. Changing it to 115200 made the
    > modem start working right.

    Duly noted, thanks for the tip. I will soon be installing Linux on a
    friend's computer. She has a dialup connection so I will have to deal
    with a modem.

    May I ask what PCI modem you have? Works OK now?

    Thanks.

    Andy

  3. Re: I learned from that - kppp and modem

    In article ,
    Andy Axnot wrote:

    >Duly noted, thanks for the tip. I will soon be installing Linux on a
    >friend's computer. She has a dialup connection so I will have to deal
    >with a modem.
    >
    >May I ask what PCI modem you have? Works OK now?

    I have a U.S. Robotics 5610B. It works OK, except I'm not convinced that
    it reliably, under Linux, detects the call-waiting tone and rings the phone
    when a call comes in while I am using the modem. I have not updated the
    firmware since I bought it, since presumably you have to be running Windows
    to do that. Or maybe I could do it with a DOS floppy - I should try.

    I previously had an Actiontec Call Waiting modem, which worked OK.
    Then it lost its call-waiting ability and I didn't want to wait for
    one to come by mail order, or I bought what was currently available in
    the local stores.

    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  4. Re: I learned from that - kppp and modem

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:47:33 +0000, Jim Haynes wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Andy Axnot wrote:
    >>
    >>Duly noted, thanks for the tip. I will soon be installing Linux on a
    >>friend's computer. She has a dialup connection so I will have to deal
    >>with a modem.
    >>
    >>May I ask what PCI modem you have? Works OK now?
    >>

    > I have a U.S. Robotics 5610B

    Ah! OK, thanks for the info.

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread