KOrganizer: local file vs. local directory - KDE

This is a discussion on KOrganizer: local file vs. local directory - KDE ; KOrganizer supports calendar resources that are local directories (many ical files in one directory) and local files (a single vcal/ical file), among others. Between local dir and local file, which resource type is faster? Any other recommendations on which would ...

  1. KOrganizer: local file vs. local directory

    KOrganizer supports calendar resources that are local directories (many
    ical files in one directory) and local files (a single vcal/ical file),
    among others.

    Between local dir and local file, which resource type is faster?

    Any other recommendations on which would be a good choice (and why)?

    Thank you,
    -Adam

  2. Re: KOrganizer: local file vs. local directory

    In theory, it should be faster to access 1 file over many, since the
    one file is (supposedly) a contiguous block of memory, and the former
    being many files in various places in memory. Don't take my word for
    it, there may be some other cases where directory would be faster, like
    if the one file is severly fragmented.

  3. Re: KOrganizer: local file vs. local directory

    haircut@gmail.com wrote:

    > KOrganizer supports calendar resources that are local directories (many
    > ical files in one directory) and local files (a single vcal/ical file),
    > among others.
    >
    > Between local dir and local file, which resource type is faster?
    >
    > Any other recommendations on which would be a good choice (and why)?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > -Adam

    It's faster to use directories instead of separate files. If you change
    something, only the modified entries will be written to the disk. That's
    faster than writing the whole big file over and over again.

    --
    Bram Schoenmakers
    KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

+ Reply to Thread