Keeping the X session alive upon broken connection - KDE

This is a discussion on Keeping the X session alive upon broken connection - KDE ; I understand this is a slightly off-topic question here, but (1) maybe KDE has a solution of their own to the problem outlined below, (2) this group has much higher traffic than all other X-related groups together, and (3) I'm ...

  1. Keeping the X session alive upon broken connection

    I understand this is a slightly off-topic question here, but (1) maybe
    KDE has a solution of their own to the problem outlined below, (2) this
    group has much higher traffic than all other X-related groups together,
    and (3) I'm a proud KDE user ).

    I am at the end of my wit after four crazy days of searching the net in
    desperation.

    (No, I am not Miriam Abacha and I don't want to transfer sixteen million
    dollars into your account.)

    After coming from the MS Windows connectivity world, where Remote
    Desktop Connection allows me to remote only one entire desktop, I was
    very pleased to see how my Linux machine is able to share either
    separate windows or an entire desktop (or several of them!), in flexible
    ways.

    However, I was less than pleased when my connection broke and I noticed
    that that meant instant death for *all* of my apps - the email I was
    editing, emacs, everything! So I thought, I'm sure that's a common
    problem that has been long solved. I first looked for a flag in the way
    I start the server; then I looked for a utility; and before long, I was
    desperately searching up and down the Net for a solution.

    First, I was surprised that so few people have had this problem. I've
    seen a few discussions on the Usenet about that, but not really like
    "this is a known problem and here's how it's being fixed".

    Second, I have found there are some solutions, none of which is entirely
    satisfactory:

    1. VNC server. The VNC server does exactly that - it creates a X server
    on the remote machine, and then is able to share that for remote users.
    When the remote user disconnects, the session stays there. So it's all
    nice and dandy, but VNC has two problems compared to X:

    a) It can't share individual windows, only full X desktops. Thus one
    cannot use VNC-remoted windows managed on the user's machine.

    b) It transports bits, not X commands, and as such it is slower
    (transports the borders of all windows, the glyphs...) As such, X
    transports less over the network because it stores (or caches) fonts
    locally and it draws the borders on the user's machine.

    2. xmove by Ethan Solomita.

    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/h...b2.README.html

    This program is part of the Debian distribution, and it seems to be
    awfully close to what I need to do. I even managed to compile it on my
    Linux distribution. However, the lack of documentation and examples
    makes it impossible for me to get my setup running.

    3. XMX by John Bazik.

    http://www.cs.brown.edu/software/xmx/

    This is an X multiplexer that can do many thing, among which (I believe)
    resumption of sessions after broken connections. I couldn't make that
    work to save my life.

    4. SCO XVision with the Vision Resume feature, which is supposed to do
    exactly what I want. I downloaded a trial version and couldn't get their
    Vision Resume feature to work on my Cygin/X server.

    ===============

    So, could anyone help me with that? Any chance of a simple, sensible
    program that allows me to keep my X-Windows session alive, but "grayed
    out" when I disconnect, so it becomes fresh again when I connect again?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrei

  2. Re: Keeping the X session alive upon broken connection

> [...]
    > Linux distribution. However, the lack of documentation and examples
    > makes it impossible for me to get my setup running.
    >
    > 3. XMX by John Bazik.
    >
    > http://www.cs.brown.edu/software/xmx/
    >
    > This is an X multiplexer that can do many thing, among which (I believe)
    > resumption of sessions after broken connections. I couldn't make that
    > work to save my life.
    >
    > 4. SCO XVision with the Vision Resume feature, which is supposed to do
    > exactly what I want. I downloaded a trial version and couldn't get their
    > Vision Resume feature to work on my Cygin/X server.
    >
    > ===============
    >
    > So, could anyone help me with that? Any chance of a simple, sensible
    > program that allows me to keep my X-Windows session alive, but "grayed
    > out" when I disconnect, so it becomes fresh again when I connect again?

    If you are using SSH and X forwarding, then I believe that autossh we
    reinstate a dropped SSH session immediately. To what impact this would
    have on a remote X session I'm not sure, but surely might be something
    worth looking at.

    ---

    HP Pavilion a810n
    AMD Athlon™ 64 3300+
    160GB hard drive
    100GB hard drive
    1024GB RAM
    Dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive
    7 USB 2.0 & 2 FireWire
    9-in-1 media reader
    Creative Labs SB Live!
    Integrated ‎SiS900 10/100 Ethernet
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    LiquidVideo 17-inch LCD
    MandrakeLinux 10.2 Beta 1 x86-64

    ---

    Did you ever stop to think. And then forget to start again?

  3. Re: Keeping the X session alive upon broken connection

    Dave Ellis wrote:
> [...]
    >> resumption of sessions after broken connections. I couldn't make that
    >> work to save my life.
    >>
    >> 4. SCO XVision with the Vision Resume feature, which is supposed to do
    >> exactly what I want. I downloaded a trial version and couldn't get their
    >> Vision Resume feature to work on my Cygin/X server.
    >>
    >> ===============
    >>
    >> So, could anyone help me with that? Any chance of a simple, sensible
    >> program that allows me to keep my X-Windows session alive, but "grayed
    >> out" when I disconnect, so it becomes fresh again when I connect again?
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Andrei

    > If you are using SSH and X forwarding, then I believe that autossh we
    > reinstate a dropped SSH session immediately. To what impact this would
    > have on a remote X session I'm not sure, but surely might be something

    Thanks a lot, Dave. I've looked into it and actually emailed the author.
    It turns out that autossh can't do that because it doesn't offer
    connection transparency - only starts a new ssh.

    Andrei

+ Reply to Thread