KNode and undeclared posts - KDE

This is a discussion on KNode and undeclared posts - KDE ; Too many postings to Usenet are done with programs which dosen't declare the character set that have been used in them. The result is, when these posts are viewed in KNode, that letters with diacritic marks like Ä, Ö, Ü, ...

  1. KNode and undeclared posts

    Too many postings to Usenet are done with programs which dosen't
    declare the character set that have been used in them.

    The result is, when these posts are viewed in KNode, that letters with
    diacritic marks like Ä, Ö, Ü, É and many others won't be displayed
    correctly. (Of course, postings that actually *have* a declared
    character set in the header are shown perfectly.)

    Is there some quick fix to this problem?

    --

    Marcus

    m9370@abc.se

  2. Re: KNode and undeclared posts

    Marcus Strmberg wrote :

    > Is there some quick fix to this problem?

    1) Tell the posters to use a proper newsreader.

    2) Go to "View"|"Charset" and use a fixed charset like "iso 8859-1"
    instead of "Automatic".
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: KNode and undeclared posts

    Thomas Overgaard skrev:

    > 1) Tell the posters to use a proper newsreader.

    Oh yes, I will (not) fight against the whole world...

    > 2) Go to "View"|"Charset" and use a fixed charset like "iso 8859-1"
    > instead of "Automatic".

    That made it, even if I have to abandon Unicode, which I don't like.
    But the world isn't perfect.

    Thanks!

    --

    Marcus

    m9370@abc.se

  4. Re: KNode and undeclared posts

    Marcus Strmberg wrote :

    > That made it, even if I have to abandon Unicode, which I don't like.

    There's a easy way around this, and sorry because I took it for granted
    that you already had done this.

    Go to "Settings"|"Configure KNode"|"Posting News" and here you can
    choose a default charset. If a message doesn't have a declared charset
    KNode fall back to this charset.(that is if "View"|"Charset" is set to
    "Automatic").

    This can be done group wise as well. Right click the group in the group
    view and choose "Group Properties" and here you can set a charset for
    the group different from the default.
    --
    Thomas O.