KGet and automatic reconnect to paswword protected FTP sites - howto ? - KDE

This is a discussion on KGet and automatic reconnect to paswword protected FTP sites - howto ? - KDE ; KDE 3.3.2 Is KGet capable of reconnecting to the password protected FTP sites hosted by FTP servers which regularly disconnect client connections ? Thx for info or redirection to the info source ! Izo...

  1. KGet and automatic reconnect to paswword protected FTP sites - howto ?

    KDE 3.3.2

    Is KGet capable of reconnecting to the password protected FTP sites
    hosted by FTP servers which regularly disconnect client connections ?

    Thx for info or redirection to the info source !

    Izo

  2. Re: KGet and automatic reconnect to paswword protected FTP sites- how to ?

    Nobody seems to know the answer to this problem, even the authors,
    listed in the KGet's About dialog ...

    Anyway, I am trying on with the excerpts of "discussion" on the KDE
    maillist:

    Andrew Kar wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:40 am, Izo wrote:
    >

    >All ftp sites disconnect client connections if they are inactive for a

    period
    >of time. Kget will reconnect upto X times (set in preferences) on a

    login or
    >broken connection error.
    >I haven't tried it but I would imagine that kget allows the normal net
    >procedure of putting the username and password as part of the Url.

    Izo wrote:

    For me it seems it does not even try. I've got Reconnect Options set as
    follows:

    No. of Retries = 20
    On login or Timeout Eror = checked
    Reconnect after = 1 minute
    On broken connection = checked

    But I relly suspect that this part of the KGet configuration deals with
    the computer-to-internet connection rather than with the FTP
    client-server connection since on the same dialog one can find the
    Connection Type (which I have set up as Permanent since I am behind the
    firewall) and Offline Mode (unchecked for me)

    Izo

    Andrew Kar wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:18 pm, Izo wrote:
    >

    > Thats irrelevant. If there is no connection it will bring up a

    connection. If the net connection is already there it will just try to
    reconnect from the timeout or break. If it is built on the source of
    wget as I have heard then it will NOT retry if the reason was because
    the file did not exist or if it was REFUSED by the server.

    > What I dont understand is why you are losing the connection. Are you

    trying to keep open an inactive connection to someones ftp server? If so
    then of course it will time you out; other people want to connect too.
    > If you are losing connection while a transfer is in progress

    continuously then you need to look at other issues.

    Izo wrote:

    FTP Transfer is in progress, most probably in passive mode. DSL
    connection on the other side of the firewall does not drop down. File
    transfer stops due to the FTP server socket/connection close and KGet
    does not resume the file transfer. Resuming by hand immediately resumes
    the file transfer while KGet seems to never ever try to automatically
    resume it.

    Any idea ?

    Regards, Izo

+ Reply to Thread